Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Childrens fedoras

IndyBlues

New in Town
How hard is it to locate a childs fedora, nowadays? I have pictures of my brothers when they were kids,back in the 50s, wearing fedoras with their suits, to go to church. I assume they were pretty easy to get back then.

I wanted to pick one up for my son, but the most i've found are the cheap play hats, and Indiana Jones cheap wool ones.

Any help would be great.
Thanks,
'Blues

IndyBlues

New in Town
Dinerman said:
Couldn't you just get a vintage hat in a small size, say 6-3/4?

I assume I could try that.

Marc Chevalier said:
Never once have I seen a vintage fedora on eBay (or anywhere else) that was small enough to have been made for an average-sized child of, say, 9 or 10 years old.

Never ever?

'Blues

Cobden

Practically Family
I can't imagine you'd need a particularly small hat for a child, as one's head doesn't grow at nearly the rate of one's body (a babies head is proportionally larger in respect to it's body then an adults) - I remember taht when I was 13, my head size was 6 3/4 British, and now, at 21, I still am 6 3/4 British (although with some manufacturers I have to wear 6 7/8)

Doh!

One Too Many
If you live near an Orthodox Jewish community, you could find out where the kids get their fedoras. You might be limited to black, but I've seen some pretty young boys wearing feds. Hollywood Hatters in L.A., for instance, carries smaller sizes -- I've been in the shop when a perhaps 8 year-old boy was getting fit for one (it was pretty sharp, too).

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
We stock hats as small as 6 3/8 !! . However they are just in black. As for colors , most companies start today at 6 3/4 although we may have some hats in stock at 6 5/8. Years ago , many of the companies made hats for boys starting at ages 8 and 9 when it was fasionable to wear them . The sizes then started at 5 7/8 and up .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

MattJH

One Too Many
I have a Borsalino in 6 5/8 that I'm looking to sell. $50 shipped. I should probably post it in the Classifieds.

MattC

A-List Customer
I went looking not long ago

To get a hat for my grandson, who told his other grandpa he wanted one like mine. He is 11. I got him a 6 7/8, which turned out to be too big, but he loves it anyway. I asked at the hat shop in Berkeley Calif where I got it, and they said they didn't stock anything smaller anymore.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Find out the child's size, and look for a vintage hat. My 14 year old daughter wears a larger hat size than I. She's at least a 7 5/8. Her ten year old sister is about a 7 1/4.

So it depends on the child.

RedPop4

One Too Many
My ten year old looks just fine in a 7 1/4, but he'd probably look better in a 7.
He's got a "cheap wool Indy" that's perfect for him. Why spend hundreds on a hat they'll out grow any way? That's just throwing money away.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
In my early hat-collecting days, 10 - 18, I was a 6-7/8.

In my early maturity, 25 - 35, I was a 7.

For the last few years, 45 - 52, I have been a 7-1/8.

So, at least in my case, my head has continued to grow!

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I don't see the problem with buying an inexpensive wool hat for a child. Much better than the travail a decent vintage hat would go through. Kids are hard on stuff, and all they care about is what it LOOKS like. Go for the Indy if you can get one that fits.

Doh!

One Too Many
Doctor Strange said:
In my early hat-collecting days, 10 - 18, I was a 6-7/8.

In my early maturity, 25 - 35, I was a 7.

For the last few years, 45 - 52, I have been a 7-1/8.

So, at least in my case, my head has continued to grow!

Likewise: in college, I was a 7 1/4. Now, 7 1/2 (sometimes 7 5/8).

RedPop4

One Too Many
My older son a year ago, wearing my newly acquired 7 1/4 Stetson
P5180516.sized.jpg

And his younger brother
P5180519.sized.jpg

I'll have to get a photo in their Indys from Disney.

IndyBlues

New in Town
Thanks for the info, guys. I may just get him another DP Indy hat, so he can beat the crap out of it,...he's only 6, so odds are I won't find a vintage hat small enough.
Here's a few pics of him in my Rabbit AB I recently got from Steve Delk.

100_0808.jpg

100_0809.jpg

'Blues

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24