Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chinese thedi knockoff

dinomartino1

A-List Customer
More pics but the colour is off as they where taken at night with the flash on.
With no flash and very close to the actual colour.

P1020615.JPG

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have said this before in the Bronson A-1 thread. There are certain jacket styles that is not on the top of one's list and yet one would like to try and see how they work. That's what some of these cheaper alternatives come into play for me. There is also the issue of fitting. I am barely 5'6 with thin arms and not only the standard OTR Western wear won't fit me, it is a pain to get a custom order with the correct armhole and arm width/drop. Incidentally, my fd bought a Korean repro 30s half belt which costs slightly less than most of the major players here and yet the quality is at least on par with some of them. However, they don't sell them online, certainly not outside Korea.

dinomartino1

A-List Customer
This one looks to be better quality than mine.
Build quality about the same but different leather and a less trim fit, you can see I have the waist adjusters fully done up. I had to make an extra hole to get it as tight as possible so a bit less flattering on.
You can see in the photo off me wearing from behind it is less form fitting as it wider

dinomartino1

A-List Customer
I have said this before in the Bronson A-1 thread. There are certain jacket styles that is not on the top of one's list and yet one would like to try and see how they work. That's what some of these cheaper alternatives come into play for me. There is also the issue of fitting. I am barely 5'6 with thin arms and not only the standard OTR Western wear won't fit me, it is a pain to get a custom order with the correct armhole and arm width/drop. Incidentally, my fd bought a Korean repro 30s half belt which costs slightly less than most of the major players here and yet the quality is at least on par with some of them. However, they don't sell them online, certainly not outside Korea.

The cidu brand would work for you, I was one of the first to get the bronson A-1 and they are the similar with higher armpits and tighter arms, a tighter asian fit this one is more western a cut but 38 is still XL in their sizing

Edward

Bartender
Italian? I wonder which tannery. TBH, one of the things that makes me a bit wary of the gamble on any leather from an unknown source is that the quality of hide seems to be if anything more variable than, say, drill cotton in all its glories.

I have said this before in the Bronson A-1 thread. There are certain jacket styles that is not on the top of one's list and yet one would like to try and see how they work. That's what some of these cheaper alternatives come into play for me.

This is a fair point. One of the rasons I wentg to Wested for an Indy jacket was because they are much cheaper, and it was a style I wasn'tg sured I'd wear all that often. For similar reasons, I'm tempted by their version of the Dr Who / Das Boot jacket, whereas when it comes to something like a halfbelt, I'll be beating ap th straight to Galashiels. I know there's one or two styles that the new UK company selling foreign-made jackets do that Aero don't, and which I might be tempted by because they're a buidget way of trying something new. My Wested is definitely no equal to my Aeros, but it has its place all the same. Ditto my Schott.

dinomartino1

A-List Customer
I am nearly as happy with this jacket as I am with my new aero, the quality is obviously not as good but if this had schott on the label and was way more expensive most would have not have a problem with buying one.

Edward

Bartender
I am nearly as happy with this jacket as I am with my new aero, the quality is obviously not as good but if this had schott on the label and was way more expensive most would have not have a problem with buying one.

Yeah, that's another thing entirely. I bought my 618 because I got a great deal used, but in all honesty I'd have a very hard time justifying a Schott over a lot of Eastern jackets I've handled purely on grounds of the jacket alone. (Of course that's never the full of the issue, but..) And to be fair to Schott, the reason they're nearly Aero money here now is partly the weak pound, though TBH I think Vanson make a better jacket and are abouyt the same money in the UK now. JMO - YMMV!

regius

I have not been back in China for 6 years, and never knew a "vintage leather jacket repro" industry existed (maybe didn't). As far as construction and patterning is concerned, the Thedi KO can sure pass for one. Maybe OP can post close up of stitchings...
Skilled craftsmen/workers are abound, if you get them together, treat them well, they will stay with you loyally and work hard. Buy some good Juki machines and source the right material, you'll get yourself a "Made in California" quality factory.

regius

I wonder if it's possible to supply them with good leather and ask for a customer order

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I have not been back in China for 6 years, and never knew a "vintage leather jacket repro" industry existed (maybe didn't). As far as construction and patterning is concerned, the Thedi KO can sure pass for one. Maybe OP can post close up of stitchings...
Skilled craftsmen/workers are abound, if you get them together, treat them well, they will stay with you loyally and work hard. Buy some good Juki machines and source the right material, you'll get yourself a "Made in California" quality factory.

I only know they actually exist when I was browsing TaoBao for the Bob Dong and Bronson stuffs. Some of them are actually not cheap (up to £200-400 if I ask them to ship locally), and they do look pretty glorious in the photos. Provided that if they are WYSIWYG, that is worth a try as if they are sort of like a mall jacket. Of course, there's always some risks involves such as sizings and returns.

Blackadder

My experience so far is that they are willing to do exchange. The return postage is an issue. It is difficult to get a refund on the postage even if they screwed up the order cos they don't issue prepaid return labels. I had to return a few items because of wrong size and wrong model and they only waived the shipping on sending out the correct items. Their warehouse management is lagging behind and they are not that keen to improve on it cos the costs of error is so much lower than if the same happens say in international trade. In the early days of online shopping, I bought a pair of sneakers from a UK sportswear chain and they sent me the item without checking the content (right size on the box but doesn't match the sneakers inside). I had to send the item back and email them my receipt from the post office to get a refund and that is settled only after a string of emails. That costs of error is quite high given the sneakers' price of around GBP60. But Taobao sellers deal only to local (including Taiwan) and the shipping costs is very low.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points