Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chippie Leather Jacket

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
The item is over-priced in my opinion, I've seen Schott 118 and 141 jackets go for less than that. If you list something on eBay and it's not even sniffing a bid it's overpriced more than likely. You used to be able to get great deals on eBay but now for the most part you get the item at or near fair market value.

GoodTimesGone

One of the Regulars
I sold a Chipie leather jacket a few months back on ebay. It was a very heavy duty steerhide A-2 style. It took a few auctions before it sold, I believe because people in the U.S. weren't familiar with the brand. I ended up selling it for less than I paid. The last time I listed it I put a little background info in the description. I had found that Chipie are made in France and sold in the nicer department stores in Europe and England. It took a lot of internet searching to find that. I originally bought it from an ebay seller in England. Your jacket looks nearly new, kind of a jean jacket pattern, and not out of fashion. I don't think it's overpriced for what you're getting. The problem is you have to find someone who realizes that and is willing to pay.

green papaya

One Too Many
I agree, thats a good price and nice quality jacket, people in the USA just arent familiar with it

I would pay the price but it's too small for me

Yep, the name frankly might turn guys off looking for a rugged jacket here...
Start it at $1. Lots of times, you get folks sucked in better that way. If you don't want to lose out, put a reserve on it - but make it reasonable as it appears the market for this jacket isn't strong...

Aether

One of the Regulars
I remember Chipie, it was pretty popular here in the UK during the 90's. They were a French based company that made good quality american-style classic jeans, sweats etc. A similar company - also French I believe - called Naf-Naf were very popular at the same time. I had a really nice B15 style jacket by them that I absolutely loved.

Anyway, looks like a quality jacket. Good luck with the sale.

Looks like a quality leather jacket to me as well. I wouldn't think overpriced at all. Perhaps a simple discription of 'Leather Denim Style Jacket' would make for an easier find on eBay.
HD

Fifty150

One Too Many
The real problem is that sellers want to make money off their auctions, and buyers want a deal. The seller thinks that he can use ebay to charge more than what he paid. The buyer wants to pay less than he would have to pay in a store. Unless your item is a "one-off" or "one-of-a kind", has some sort of collector value, or somehow has an intrinsic value; then why would a buyer pay your asking price? While you may have what you believe to be a great jacket, most buyers who aren't collectors just see a used jacket. I would look at that, and think that I can just as easily buy a new leather jacket for a lot less. If I just wanted to buy a leather jacket to wear, without regards for collector value or authentic details, new ones can be found for as low as $50. Sure, companies like Wilsons Suede and Leather are massed produced in a third world country, retain no collector value, and aren't authentic in any historical sense. But you still get a leather jacket that is warm, and stands up to the wind and rain. Even the cheapest leather jackets are still leather.

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
eBay has 10's of millions of people browsing for items day and night. There is no item for sale on eBay right now that hundreds or thousands of bidders don't know every single detail before even looking at it. I still maintain if you list an item on eBay and it doesn't sniff a bid you're asking too much.

I have over 900 sales an eBay so I've been doing this awhile. A trick but a risky one is to start the item very low with no reserve. By the time it hits $50.00 it has 25 bids and looks like a must have item. People are then willing to part with more money to have it.

FredG

New in Town
I do appreciate the feedback and admit to being a rookie only in the leather jacket arena. I am well aware that
the bidding process has fallen out of favor to the greater part of the eBay public. In the case of this item, I first ran it as an auction with a reasonably low min (usually 2x's what I paid for). At the end of the run there were no bids. I then set it up in my store as a buy it now, or set sale at a price that would make it worth my while.

My experience is that a multi-faceted item or one that might generate interest from a few different camps is the ideal bid war item. I recently posted a Levis cafe style jacket made in Italy. When the bidding stopped it was in the mid $400 range. I think this was bike riders over jacket collectors but from my stance-it doesn't matter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran