Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chocolate. Chocolate. CHOCOLATE!!!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Bruce Wayne said:
You just made me think of a candy/chocolate bar from the mid 90's called the Andretti bar. I don't remember what was in it, but I remember that I enjoyed it.

A few other celebrity candy bars of the Golden era include the Rudy Vallee Bar (I imagine it used very very inexpensive ingredients), the Babe Ruth Home Run Bar (NOT the "Baby Ruth" Bar), the Red Grange Bar (named after the football legend), the Sam 'n' Henry Bar (predecessor to the Amos 'n' Andy bar), the Big-Hearted Al bar (named after 1928 Democratic presidential nominee Al Smith), Clara Bow's It Bar (self-explanatory), ZaSu Peanut Brittle (made from ZaSu Pitts' personal recipe), and the Sal-Lee bar, named after fan dancer Sally Rand (no, it wasn't sold without a wrapper.)

HepKitty

One Too Many
bought some chocolates in Brussels and wanted to save them for my family when I came home but that wasn't for another month or so, so the chocolates were eaten on the train ride to Prague :D

can't remember the brand off-hand but it's an 80% dark bar, organic and everything. for the die-hard chocoholics only, it's really good

Helpful hint: if you really like something, save a wrapper--and make sure to write a little note to yourself about why on it. Usually has worked for me, at least... if it's something I can't write on like foil or plastic, I try to keep an envelope that I can write on for such situations.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
Helpful hint: if you really like something, save a wrapper--and make sure to write a little note to yourself about why on it. Usually has worked for me, at least... if it's something I can't write on like foil or plastic, I try to keep an envelope that I can write on for such situations.

lol yes that is the brilliant thing to do isn't it?

:eek:fftopic: nice quote, that guy is so funny he cracks me up

back to chocolate, it's usually sold in health food stores and I think it says Uganda on it

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Diamondback said:
Helpful hint: if you really like something, save a wrapper--and make sure to write a little note to yourself about why on it. Usually has worked for me, at least..
Yep, I did the same with cheeses when I first started getting into them. Actually, it worked better to help recall the cheeses that I didn't like, so that I wouldn't buy them again.

HepKitty said:
lol yes that is the brilliant thing to do isn't it?

:eek:fftopic: nice quote, that guy is so funny he cracks me up
Yeah, Gunny's pretty funny, especially when I was channeling him to keep an overambitious schmuck I worked with in his proper place. It was a crackup around the newspaper office when in staff meetings I'd just randomly bark at him to drop and give me a hundred:
Him: "Why?"
Me: "Because the more you hate me THE MORE YOU WILL LEARN, you PUKE!"
Usually after I had foiled another of his schemes to get the Boss fired so he could move into her job. Inflicting punishment on the bane of your existence, protecting someone you've fallen for and getting paid for it all... ahh, good times!:D

Tomasso said:
Yep, I did the same with cheeses when I first started getting into them. Actually, it worked better to help recall the cheeses that I didn't like, so that I wouldn't buy them again.
The flip-side: I keep an envelope for that, too. Long as I'm stuck lugging around a 20- to 40-lb. laptop-case like some kind of digital colostomy bag, I might as well make good use of it, right? lol

HepKitty

One Too Many
Tomasso said:

Esrom cheese... don't ever get the Esrom! usually Danish anything is divine (ice cream, dumle chocolate covered licorice in the purple and black bag), but not Esrom

holy cow those chocolate covered licorice bits, this is all about chocolate right? they had (maybe still have, this was 14 *sniff* years ago) caramels too in the red bags but the licorice ones were the best!

ps licorice is different on that side of the pond, way better than the black licorice here. can't stand the stuff here

Puzzicato

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
As for Golden Era chocolate, pretty much all of the classic candy-bar brands were in place by the turn of the thirties, and it was also common for bars to be devoted to popular celebrities of the moment. Lindbergh had his own candy bar, as did Amos and Andy (the latter being a vanilla wafer covered in chocolate. Ha ha.)

Apparently the majority of the top 10 biggest selling chocolate bars in the UK today were invented between 1920 and 1940 too. I'll have to look for the reference where I saw that!

HepKitty

One Too Many
Bruce Wayne said:
I made the 3-minute brownie in the first post last night. It didn't say what kind of oil to use so I left it out. It wasn't that bad, all things considered. I have since done some research & have found that I should use Canola oil when making the above brownie.

I wouldn't use olive (too heavy in flavor and thick) or nut oils (too expensive) but pretty much any other kind (corn, sunflower, vegetable, safflower, canola) should be fine

LordBest

Practically Family
I did also, overcooked it though. Trying again shortly. It was still tasty.

Bruce Wayne said:
I made the three-minute brownie again last night with Canola oil & it is really tasty!!! :essen:

Chainsaw

Suspended
Gotta try that Browine! If you want to make an icing for it, just take room temperature butter (no salted ), mix cocoa powder, and sugar(you can substitute Nestle Quike for the Cocoa, and sugar). Whip it up as best as you can.;)

Wunderbar has to be my favorite on the run snack. "Special crisp" is really good but it's not sold every where.
[huh]
We used to make Chocolate at home, you can get the molds from the mall. Truffles are more fun, lot's of liquor, and almond powder. Mmmmm.

We have a Canadian Favorite, it's "Laura Secord" http://www.laurasecord.ca/ The stores are amazing! their Ice creme is the best.:rolleyes:

We had some expensive swiss chocolate one holiday. It came in a box shaped like a gold bar. Inside was chocolate with nougat in it. That just melted in my mouth. Similar to Tobleron.;)

HepKitty

One Too Many
speaking of Lindt dark (at least someone mentioned it some time ago), I chopped up a dark orange Lindt bar for the top of this cake

butter, chocolate, coffee, whipping cream, heart attack... it doesn't get better than this. though I wanted to smack a couple of kids, they took huge pieces and threw them away after one bite. there's butter in the cake how dare they!

so here is the recipe, bake and destroy!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...er-Cake-with-Mocha-Mascarpone-Frosting-352096

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Yeah i'll second those Lindor thingies in the box and Green and Blacks organic chocloate with bitter orange bits, you can't go wrong with a slab of dark chocolate in my opinion, i always stock up if i'm in France as they have amazing dark cooking chocolate and it's horrendously cheap, s'rude not to really!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
HepKitty said:
speaking of Lindt dark (at least someone mentioned it some time ago), I chopped up a dark orange Lindt bar for the top of this cake

butter, chocolate, coffee, whipping cream, heart attack... it doesn't get better than this. though I wanted to smack a couple of kids, they took huge pieces and threw them away after one bite. there's butter in the cake how dare they!

so here is the recipe, bake and destroy!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...er-Cake-with-Mocha-Mascarpone-Frosting-352096

Oh my god, i think i have fallen in love, coffee and chocolate a match made in heaven, thanks hep kitty, i have a birthday coming up, so i know what i'll be eating!

HepKitty

One Too Many
Miss sofia said:
Yeah i'll second those Lindor thingies in the box and Green and Blacks organic chocloate with bitter orange bits, you can't go wrong with a slab of dark chocolate in my opinion, i always stock up if i'm in France as they have amazing dark cooking chocolate and it's horrendously cheap, s'rude not to really!

I'm so very jealous of you, that you live on that side of the pond lol

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I have totally run out of cooking chocolate now as i scoffed the last of it after i read this thread and i'm not going to France anytime soon, if that's any consolation:mad: !! x

HepKitty

One Too Many
Miss sofia said:
I have totally run out of cooking chocolate now as i scoffed the last of it after i read this thread and i'm not going to France anytime soon, if that's any consolation:mad: !! x

haha not really I lived in Germany from summer 1995 to summer 1996 and haven't been back to Europe since... :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner