Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chocolate. Chocolate. CHOCOLATE!!!

HepKitty

One Too Many
I see pastry chef as HK's second career.......

oh jeez I was gone for a while, wasn't I?

lol may have to, my job moved to India without me

have some more chocolate recipes

Coconut Joys

1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
3 cups flaked coconut
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate morsels

Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat; remove from heat. Stir in sugar and coconut; shape into 3/4-inch balls. Chill until firm.

Place chocolate morsels in a small heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; seal. Submerge in hot water until chocolate melts. Snip a tiny hole in 1 corner of bag, and drizzle chocolate over coconut balls. Store in refrigerator. Makes 3 1/2 dozen.

:D

Chocolate Terrine

* 1****** (3 1/2 ounce) package* almond paste
* 1 1/2* cups* half-and-half
* 4****** (1 ounce) squares* semisweet chocolate -- coarsely chopped
* 4******* ounces* white chocolate -- coarsely chopped
* 4******* eggs -- slightly beaten
* 2******* tablespoons* brandy
*********** Chocolate Glaze -- (recipe follows)

*********************** CHOCOLATE GLAZE
* 1******* cup* semisweet chocolate chips
1/4***** cup* margarine or butter
* 2******* tablespoons* corn syrup

Line loaf pan, 8 1/2 × 4 1/2 × 2 1/2 inches, with aluminum foil, leaving about 2 inches overhanging sides. Roll almond paste between 2 sheets waxed paper into rectangle, 8 × 4 inches; cover with plastic wrap and set aside.

Heat oven to 350F. Heat half-and-half, semisweet chocolate and white chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolates are melted and mixture is smooth; cool slightly. Gradually stir eggs and brandy into chocolate mixture. Pour into lined pan. Place pan in pan of very hot water (1 inch deep) in oven.
Bake until knife inserted halfway between edge and center comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes. Remove from water. Remove waxed paper from almond paste and immediately place on hot terrine; cool 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours but no longer than 24 hours.

Prepare Chocolate Glaze. Remove terrine from pan by inverting on serving plate. Carefully remove foil. Spread remaining glaze evenly and smoothly over sides and top of terrine. To serve, cut into 8 slices, about 1 inch each; cut slices into halves. Refrigerate any remaining terrine.*

CHOCOLATE GLAZE:
Heat chocolate chips, margarine and corn syrup over low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate is melted; cool.

:D

ROCKY ROAD SUNDAE PIE

For crust
1 9-ounce package chocolate wafer cookies, broken into pieces
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
For milk chocolate fudge sauce
2/3 cup whipping cream
8 ounces imported milk chocolate (such as Lindt), chopped
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For marshmallow sauce
4 cups miniature marshmallows (about 7 1/2 ounces)
1/3 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 quarts chocolate ice cream, slightly softened
1 cup walnuts, toasted, coarsely chopped (about 3 3/4 ounces)
Make crust:
Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter 9-inch-diameter springform pan with 2 3/4-inch-high sides. Finely grind chocolate wafer cookies in processor. Add melted butter and process until crumbs are evenly moistened. Press crumb mixture firmly onto bottom and 1 inch up sides of prepared pan. Bake crust until set, about 10 minutes. Cool completely.
Make milk chocolate fudge sauce:
Bring cream just to simmer in medium saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat. Add milk chocolate; let stand 1 minute. Whisk until chocolate is melted and smooth. Whisk in vanilla. Let stand at room temperature until sauce cools and thickens slightly, about 20 minutes.
Make marshmallow sauce:
Combine marshmallows and cream in large metal bowl. Set bowl over saucepan of barely simmering water (do not allow bottom of bowl to touch water). Stir until marshmallows melt and mixture is smooth, about 3 minutes. Remove bowl from over water; stir in vanilla. Let stand until slightly cooled but still pourable, about 10 minutes.
Spread 1 quart ice cream evenly in cooled crust. Drop half of milk chocolate sauce by tablespoonfuls over ice cream, spacing apart. Sprinkle half of walnuts over sauce. Drizzle half of marshmallow sauce over walnuts. Freeze until sauces are set, about 10 minutes.
Spread 1 quart ice cream evenly in crust. Drop remaining milk chocolate sauce by tablespoonfuls over ice cream. Drizzle remaining marshmallow sauce over, allowing some chocolate sauce to show through. Sprinkle with remaining walnuts. Freeze until pie is firm, about 4 hoursCut around pan sides to loosen. Let pie soften slightly at room temperature, about 10 minutes. Remove pan sides.

HepKitty

One Too Many
oh and since this is a board about old stuff... though I warn you I'm too lazy to go back through and make sure this hasn't been posted yet

http://www.idahospud.com/

so out of curiosity a few weeks ago I tried an Idaho Spud bar. I've lived in this 3rd world country for most of my life (WA state and Germany, so I'm not totally hopeless) and never bothered to try it. I have to admit, it's not great chocolate and I wasn't expecting marshmallow fluff. For an American thing it's not bad, and I appreciate vintage stuff a lot more now than I did when I was a kid, but for a wannabe European snob it's not so grand.

edit: checked the recipes on the site, for fondue they say to melt Idaho Spuds with milk and Kirsch, cognac, or Cointreau. I think they may have redeemed themselves

Last edited:

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
oh and since this is a board about old stuff... though I warn you I'm too lazy to go back through and make sure this hasn't been posted yet

http://www.idahospud.com/

so out of curiosity a few weeks ago I tried an Idaho Spud bar. I've lived in this 3rd world country for most of my life (WA state and Germany, so I'm not totally hopeless) and never bothered to try it. I have to admit, it's not great chocolate and I wasn't expecting marshmallow fluff. For an American thing it's not bad, and I appreciate vintage stuff a lot more now than I did when I was a kid, but for a wannabe European snob it's not so grand.

edit: checked the recipes on the site, for fondue they say to melt Idaho Spuds with milk and Kirsch, cognac, or Cointreau. I think they may have redeemed themselves
:eeek: For a minute there I thought the candy was really chocolate covered potatoes! But chocolate and Cointreau sounds right. :D

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Chocolate and taters?
Hmmm, better get stretch pants if you're going to eat that.
Although if you have one of those chocolate fountains, you'll experiment with anything just to play in the fountain. Which is why I don't have one. :)

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
If you you ever come to Belgium, check out some of the better chocolatiers. Belgian chocolatiers are world-famous and easily on a par with Spüngli from Switzerland.

Godiva ist best known I believe, but if you get a chance try Del Rey and Burie in Antwerp and Pierre Marcolini in Brussels. But beware! These come at a hefty price and you won't find it easy to go back to what you thought was chocolate but in fact is just cheap crap after finding out what real chocolate can be like.

http://www.marcolini.be/
http://www.delrey.be/
http://www.chocolatier-burie.be/

HepKitty

One Too Many
We did take a day trip from Koeln to Brussels a long time ago and of course we all bought chocolates from Godiva. I was going to save them for my family but found out there were no preservatives so we were forced to eat them on the train to Prague... amazing stuff!

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Yes, they use fresh cream and everything. All ingredients are fresh and you have to eat the stuff within a weak.

I was told that the Godiva chocolates you can buy in other countries aren't of the same high quality as the ones freshly made for the Belgian market. Never tasted the former, though.

HepKitty

One Too Many
fresh from Belgium is definitely better! I was still about 2 weeks from home so gosh I couldn't let them go to waste :lol:

have another chocolate recipe

Coffee and Cookie Brownies

1 *16.5 to 18-oz. pkg. refrigerated sugar cookie dough
2 *eggs, lightly beaten
1 *19.5 oz. pkg. milk chocolate brownie mix
1/2 *cup cooking oil
1/3 *cup coffee liqueur or cooled strong coffee
1 *cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate pieces

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Press sugar cookie dough into bottom of a
13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.

2. In a large bowl combine the eggs, brownie mix, cooking oil, and
coffee liqueur until just combined. Spread batter over sugar cookie
dough. Sprinkle with chocolate pieces.

3. Bake for 40 minutes or until edges are set. Cool in pan on a wire
rack. To serve, cut into bars. Makes 24 brownies.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Hepkitty I'm going to have to stop reading this thread! ;)
I agree it's best to eat chocolate when you have it, never know when it will go bad...

ToucanSam23

New in Town
10 pounder

Y'know I actually won one of those 10 pound chocolate bars Bruce posted on the first page back in the 3rd grade.
The squares them self were too big to eat. I think my whole family only managed to consume one square! We eventually had to through it out though...
:(

bil_maxx

One of the Regulars
Y'know I actually won one of those 10 pound chocolate bars Bruce posted on the first page back in the 3rd grade.
The squares them self were too big to eat. I think my whole family only managed to consume one square! We eventually had to through it out though...

The great thing is you persevered and achieved your goal. You should be proud of yourself and your family.:eusa_clap

HepKitty

One Too Many

Creativity time. Get a hammer! lol

HepKitty

One Too Many
from Most Loved Treats by Jean Pare'

this got rave reviews at the tkd picnic tonight. I cut the sugar by a few tablespoons in each layer and added more cocoa in the brownies and it turned out fine. also dumped some nutritional yeast into the brownie mix

Cherry Cream Cheese Brownies

Cheese layer:

8 oz cream cheese

2 large eggs

1 cup sugar

¼ cup all purpose flour

1 cup maraschino cherries, chopped

Brownie layer:

4 large eggs

2 cups sugar

1 ½ cup all purpose flour (I use whole wheat pastry)

1 cup almonds, chopped

¼ tsp salt

2 tsp almond extract

1 cup butter

½ cup cocoa powder, sifted

Chocolate coffee icing:

2 2/3 cups powdered sugar

2/3 cup cocoa, sifted

6 tbsp butter

3 tbsp strong hot coffee (or hot water)

Cheese layer: beat cream cheese and eggs in a bowl until smooth. Combine sugar and flour in a small bowl and add to cream cheese mixture, ¼ cup at a time and mix well. Stir in cherries and set aside

Brownie layer: beat eggs in a bowl until frothy. Add next four ingredients and stir.

Heat and stir butter and cocoa in a small heavy saucepan on lowest heat until smooth. Add to egg mixture and stir well. Spread about 2/3 into a greased 9”x13” pan. Spoon cheese mixture (about 1 tbsp at a time) over brownie mix. Top with remaining brownie mix. Will be patchy, can mix a little if you’d like. Bake at 350F for about 40 minutes, until edges pull away from pan and center is springy. Let cool on wire rack.

Chocolate coffee icing: beat all 4 ingredients until smooth, adding more coffee or powdered sugar as needed for spreading consistency. Spread over cooled brownies and cut brownies into squares

Steven180

One of the Regulars
HepKitty you're killing us. If you keep it up you will get more marriage proposals than you can handle.

Something must be in the air, the Chocoholics thread in The Observation Bar is buzzing too...

Worth mentioning is a small chocolatier in Seattle called Sara's that specializes in a simple milk or dark chocolate square, caramel center, with few granules of sea salt on the top. Simple combinations provide the best pleasures.

Best to all,
M.

DavidJ

One of the Regulars
Wow, Hep Kitty, I'm going to make it a goal to make all the recipes you've put on this thread.
Does anyone know any amazing fair trade chocolate brands?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm