Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christmas Cocktail

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
I've been searching through my 1930 edition of the "Savoy Cocktail book" for an appropriate Cocktail to serve during the festive season. Alas nowhere can I find a reference to Christmas (even looked under xmas) I know that Nanna Baumont used to guzzle a concoction called a "snowball" that consisted of "Babycham" and "Advocat" served in a pretty champagne saucer , with a picture of Bambi on the sides. Any other ideas ? , Eggnog is for invalids!!! but
theres always Sherry!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbgwXFbTudk

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
Snowballs are a christmas traddition in my family!
my grandma t, who died on Nov 5th 2007, (88yrs young!) loved them, and my mum to this day puts the ready mixed small ones in ALL the kids stockings (very low alcohol content!) with an apple and orange!
making your own is easy..try this recipe... http://www.cocktailmaking.co.uk/displaycocktail.php/319-snowball

theres always eggnog...
http://www.cocktailmaking.co.uk/displaycocktail.php/2375-Egg-Nog-(Encase-you-wanted-to-know!!!)

happy hunting!!:)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
One of my favorite libations for super cold weather is hot buttered rum. Take a mug, boil some water, put a pat of butter in the mug, a tsp of sugar and a generous shot of rum. Fill the mug with the hot water and tap some nutmeg on top. The hot fluid gets into your bloodstream with startling rapidity, and if you've been outside for a while, your body also appreciates the liquids. And the butter coats your chapped lips in a most pleasant manner. Best to be sitting down when you drink this drink. ;)
I was in a show a couple of years ago where a building was referred to as on "old posset mill". At first I assumed it was a made up name, but then I Googled it.
Posset was a concoction of previous centuries involving bunches of eggs, cream, nutmeg, rum or sherry and a specially built mug. Here's a link with recipes, but there are many variations.
http://www.historicfood.com/Posset Recipes.htm

Panache

A-List Customer
My lovely wife and I came up with this cocktail for the holidays

Santa Baby

2 oz. vodka
1 oz. peppermint schnapps
1 splash of cinnamon schnapps

Shake ingredients with crushed ice and strain into a cocktail glass

Garnish with a mini candy cane

Cheers

Jamie

tortswon

Practically Family
How About a Jack Rose?

The Jack Rose cocktail was popular in the 20s and 30's. It is very simple to make:

3 parts applejack (If not available, Jack Daniels makes an OK substitute)
2 parts lemon or lime juice
2 dashes of grenadine

Shake them up without ice and pour it into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a maraschino cherry or a slice of apple.

Historically, this cocktail was mentioned in Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises. It is festive, pretty, tasty, and appropriately retro. It was also my mom's favorite. Best, Sam

Marzipan

One of the Regulars
BinkieBaumont said:
I've been searching through my 1930 edition of the "Savoy Cocktail book" for an appropriate Cocktail to serve during the festive season. Alas nowhere can I find a reference to Christmas (even looked under xmas) I know that Nanna Baumont used to guzzle a concoction called a "snowball" that consisted of "Babycham" and "Advocat" served in a pretty champagne saucer , with a picture of Bambi on the sides. Any other ideas ? , Eggnog is for invalids!!! but
theres always Sherry!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbgwXFbTudk

A picture of Bambi on the sides? I'm going to swoon.

Caroline

One of the Regulars
The Painkiller

I've decided that this is a Christmas drink, probably because one has the option of dusting the top with nutmeg, and it doesn't violate my no dairy rule.

4 oz Pussers Navy Rum (diehards will complain if you substitute)
3 oz pineapple juice
1 oz orange juice
1 oz coco real (or whatever purist coconut cream you wish to argue)

mix in a blender for 5-10 seconds then pour over ice. Garnish, drink, repeat as needed. Some blend in the ice but I pour it over.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Caroline said:
I've decided that this is a Christmas drink, probably because one has the option of dusting the top with nutmeg, and it doesn't violate my no dairy rule.

4 oz Pussers Navy Rum (diehards will complain if you substitute)
3 oz pineapple juice
1 oz orange juice
1 oz coco real (or whatever purist coconut cream you wish to argue)

mix in a blender for 5-10 seconds then pour over ice. Garnish, drink, repeat as needed. Some blend in the ice but I pour it over.

The Pusser's Painkiller is one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE DRINKS. I highly recommend drinking it while sitting on a dock in the British Virgin Islands, which is where it was introduced to me (and why I consider it more of a summertime drink).

Sigh...

Warbaby

One Too Many
Here's a 1907 receipe for Hot Port Wine Punch. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm giving it serious consideration.

Hot Port Wine Punch.

Should a hot drink be desired, one may always depend upon the “hot port wine punch” that “The Only William” esteemed as the most appropriate of Christmas tipples. To prepare it mix a quart of claret with a quart of Rhine wine and two quarts of port wine, and put them over the fire, with two pounds of sugar. Let them heat slowly, for they must not be permitted to boil, and stir them sufficiently to assure the sugar being dissolved. When the mixture has become very hot pour it into a tureen in which there shall be the juice of four lemons, and half a bottle of the best arrack; stir for a moment and serve. For a Christmas Eve or Christmas night party no hot drink can be better.

Imahomer

Practically Family
I'll throw in with the Tom and Jerrie. Other favorites that I saw during the Christmas season was a Hot Buttered Rum and the alcoholic egg nog.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Oh, that is a totally different kettle of fish! How fab!

I used to make a lovely hot-weather Christmas cocktail. You pour about 100ml out of a 1l bottle of cranberry juice and add 50ml cointreau and stick it in the freezer. You take it out after an hour and shake it, then put it back in the freezer. The booze stops the cranberry juice from freezing completely, and it turns into a slushy. Then you pour a bit of the slushy into a champagne flute and top up with bubbles. Best known use for Carrington Blush.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Been off the computer for a week. My favorite Winter drink is Hot chocolate with Cinnamon Schnapps in it. Cheap and easy to make. A girl at UIUC taught me to drink those on a hay ride.

Later

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
I may make a few frozen Brandy Alexanders toped up with champagne, this year

Genius!

How about a hot toddy? 2pt Spirit (Brandy, Whisky, Gin, Dark rum) 1pt Sugar syrup/Honey 1pt Lemon juice 4pts boiling water
Mistletoe Mist: Muddle a few mint leaves with a tsp of sugar in a glass, add one shot of gin and two shots of warmed cranberry juice.
A Hot Brandy Alexander?
Hot Buttered Rum?

For you gin I would suggest either Beefeater Winter or Sacred Christmas Pudding Gin (Sacred may not be so easy to get but hopefully Beefeater Winter would be to hand).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy