Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christmas eve listening

RetroToday

A-List Customer
I like to fire up a few Christmas 78s on the Eve.

I'll probably be listening to a lot of Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters, Gene Autrey, Fred Waring & His Pennsylvanians and others.

rumblefish

One Too Many
The Kingston Trio's album- The Last Month of the Year.
It reminds me of Christmas when I was a boy. Dad had it on an LP, and I still have it. Now it gets played from a CD at my house. I'll probably play it tonight now that I thought of it.:)

Warden

One Too Many
Last night I listened to David Jason reading "The Christmas Carol" on BBC radio 4.

It really is excellent and if like me you missed some of the broadcasts it is on BBC i player. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00fyzyb/episodes/2008

Really made me think of Christmas in the golden era listening to a radio play rather than watching TV.

Excellent

Harry

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
RetroToday said:
I like to fire up a few Christmas 78s on the Eve.

I'll probably be listening to a lot of Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters, Gene Autrey, Fred Waring & His Pennsylvanians and others.

When the little ones come over we will, as usual, play "Santa Claus Hides in the Phonograph" on the Diamond Disc machine, and on the Victrola we will play most of the old carols, the purple lanle Victors by Lucy Isabelle Marsh, "Stille Nacht" and "Weinachten" by Ernestine Schumann-Heink, the various Victor Salon gtoup and Nat Shilkret christmas records, and the Charles O'Connell , Mark Cross, and Jesse Crawford. Some of the Gennett special christmas records will also be played, along with the Roadheaver recordings of christmas music. Mostly recordings from the 'teens and 'twenties.

MEDIUMMYND

One of the Regulars
Warden said:
Last night I listened to David Jason reading "The Christmas Carol" on BBC radio 4.

It really is excellent and if like me you missed some of the broadcasts it is on BBC i player. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00fyzyb/episodes/2008

Really made me think of Christmas in the golden era listening to a radio play rather than watching TV.

Excellent

Harry
Here here captures the spirit of Christmas perfectly.There are also four new Sherlock Holmes on radio four over the holidays.

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
rumblefish said:
The Kingston Trio's album- The Last Month of the Year.
It reminds me of Christmas when I was a boy. Dad had it on an LP, and I still have it. Now it gets played from a CD at my house. I'll probably play it tonight now that I thought of it.:)

Sad to report that Nick Reynolds, known within the group as "Budgie" or "The Runt of the Litter," died this past October, at the age of 75. I enjoy their tunes, especially "Scotch & Soda" and "Scarlet Ribbons".

One of the albums on my X-mas playlist (which just happens to be on the same label as the Kingston Trio, Capitol Records) is The Four Freshmen's Freshmas! Harmony in it's purest form. If you have a chance during the New Year, listen to their Capitol Collector's Series CD.

capitol-collectors-series-four-freshmen-cd-cover-art.jpg

Geesie

Practically Family
Don't know what I'll be listening to. Probably watching Miracle on 34th Street rather than listening to anything.

I wish I were back home listening to KMOX and their traditional Christmas eve lineup.

Caroline

One of the Regulars
I'm probably going to be up wrapping presents with WGBH jazz on the radio. Since the Fall I've listened to nothing but economic news so this will be a soothing change of pace. I hope they play the Aaron Neville version of "Silent Night" - a guilty pleasure!:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy