Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christmas hat from Art

myronw

New in Town
Hi guys,

I waited to post anything about my newest hat, because I wanted to wear it a while before I commented on it. Then the excrement hit the fan, and I never got back to do it. Anyway, here goes...

I ordered one of Art's new hats made from one of his vintage bodies. I still don't have a digital camera, but it is the same color and style as one that was posted earlier, and I think Art could post photos if you asked him really nice. It's a Silver Belly, but it isn't the same color as my other one at all. The vintage felt has more of a tan tint to it, and looks more old timey to me.

The felt is really nice, and I would compare it to the vintage Dobbs hat that I have. It's quite thin, but feels very substantial, and has a nice, smooth finish to it. It isn't as silky smooth as the Sterling Beaver felt that Charlie over at the Gladhatter sells, but it's definitely really nice, quality felt.

I'm really glad that Art and Chalie have gone to the effort of ferreting out these old bodies and making them into new old hats for us. There is definitely just something different about the vintage felt that makes the old style hats seem even more special.

The only fault I have found that amounted to anything is the label on the liner... For some reason, it just couldn't seem to resist sticking to my hair and giving it a tug when I took the hat off. I reluctantly peeled it off and discarded it.

Thanks again for the hat, the service, and the effort you made to find the vintage bodies, Art! Keep up the good work!

Keep smiling,

Myron

myronw

New in Town
Michael D.

I know what you mean, but I can't bear to pass up another hat, just to buy a camera to take pictures with. I'm sure that when Art sees this thread, he will post pictures for us. I just got back from lunch and got the second compliment today on the hat, so I guess Art can be proud. The girl that complimented it at lunch was a real cutie, too!

Myron

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Hey Myron, I saw your hat after the initial block was done, and Art gave me a lesson in how silver belly changes color through the pounce. Quite a show he put on in 10 seconds.

Enjoy that hat, you chose an excellent crease on an excellent felt--one of Art's best.

I agree with whoever Mike is...show us the pics, brother!

G

myronw

New in Town
Hi G,

I felt lucky to get the hat, that's for sure. When I contacted Art, the vintage bodies were going fast, and I think the only reason I got this one was that someone had to rescind their order. He said that this hat is some of his best work to date, and I hope that as soon as he gets a chance he'll post us some photos.

Myron

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Vintage mercury felt

Myron,
Art is making me a Vintage in silver belly color and i asked him to block it like your hat. This is a hat body from 1928 . He tells me he has never seen Vintage like this.

I've been told by several old time real hatters that a mercury high quality hat body will put a modern beaver to ..... Well you know what I mean.

I'll post pictures once it comes in. I"m sure i'll be as happy as you are. :) :cool: :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy