Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chuckles' Morning jacket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
The President is 6'1".

Obama_1418514c.jpg

All that hardware on his lapels may be weighing him down...

Edward

Bartender
The next thing I'm wondering is, did he choose this combination himself, or did his valet?

What's the norm for him? I had assumed that he would pick things out for himself: a man who pays enough attention to detail to want his repaired shoes to look as if they have been repaired, not new, would seem to be the sort to choose his own clothes. On the other hand, he famously has someone else squeeze out his toothpaste, so.... [huh]

though that is certainly one of my favourite passtimes, extended to the entire parasitic family … in this case, no.

I am wondering whether the jacket/waistcoat is in fact very old.

I assume that you are referring disrespectfully to HRH The Prince of Wales?

His Morning Dress maybe desperately old fashioned but why, given the desire for many here to have suits from the 1930s, should this occasion comment?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
: a man who pays enough attention to detail to want his repaired shoes to look as if they have been repaired, not new,
I just don't buy that it was a PR move to deflect royal critics. The guy has been wearing hand me down and thread worn clothes for most of his adult life, long before this current era of royal hate.

Edward

Bartender
I just don't buy that it was a PR move to deflect royal critics. The guy has been wearing hand me down and thread worn clothes for most of his adult life, long before this current era of royal hate.

Petulance more than PR, I should imagine.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Petulance more than PR, I should imagine.

There was a post on the A Suitable Wardrobe blog about repairing bespoke shoes. Charles was mentioned, but only as one of many. Apparently it's just one of those things people who can afford £6000 shoes do.

Edward

Bartender
There was a post on the A Suitable Wardrobe blog about repairing bespoke shoes. Charles was mentioned, but only as one of many. Apparently it's just one of those things people who can afford £6000 shoes do.

There we are, that's something new I've learned. I suppose maybe there's a statement there somewhere, whether it's "I bought such good shoes, I can have them repaired", or "I'm being thrifty - look, repaired, not new". I dread to think what the repairs costs on something like that - a fraction of the new price, no doubt, but probably still more than a pair of Churches. six grand.... jinkies, even if I had that sort of cash to play with, I don't think I'd be able to bring myself to spend that on my own life, let alone a single pair of shoes. And I love shoes.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
There we are, that's something new I've learned. I suppose maybe there's a statement there somewhere, whether it's "I bought such good shoes, I can have them repaired", or "I'm being thrifty - look, repaired, not new". I dread to think what the repairs costs on something like that - a fraction of the new price, no doubt, but probably still more than a pair of Churches. six grand.... jinkies, even if I had that sort of cash to play with, I don't think I'd be able to bring myself to spend that on my own life, let alone a single pair of shoes. And I love shoes.

Agreed, I'd never throw money around like that either even if I had such money to throw around (I already feel bad for spending a meer £625 on a MTM suit). Personally I quite like making a statement by wearing vintage suits which are probably of better quality and fit than a lot of todays bespoke suits but cost less than £100 each (including alterations). For example, I like watching David Cameron in his ill fitting £1100 Saville Row suit and thinking how lucky I am to have a considerably better fitting £7.50 suit.

However, even if Charles may be making a statement with his expensive repaired shoes, I still have to say that I like his style and the fact that he does wear vintage clothing.

Now, Cameron is making a statement. Cameron (and pretty much all the politicos in this country, with a few notable exceptions) intentionally wear bad suits. Usually ill-fitting. This is to try to make the absurd notion that their lives bear any resemblance to "ordinary" people a little more palatable to voters. It has failed on me.

I have my shoes repaired, too, btw. A complete resole in London costs about £90. Provinces cheaper at about £30. My shoes are generally in the cheap £150-£200 range. I have to go to this price as the only people that make shoes small enough make them in this price range. If your shoes started out as good uppers, and the uppers are not irrevocably damaged, why change them? Just have the soles replaced when they need it.

For example, I like watching David Cameron in his ill fitting £1100 Saville Row suit and thinking how lucky I am to have a considerably better fitting £7.50 suit.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
HRH The Prince of Wales is a 'sharp' dresser and the fact that he does wear 'hand-me-downs' is surely something 'many of us' would applaud and commend with our interest in vintage clothing and classic styling.
If I read this 'thread' correctly, then most of you seem to give the 'thumbs up' to HRH on his choice of dress, as it 'is' a fine piece of clothing and 'he' wears it well Gentlemen.
Be thankful that a man in his 'high position' who is recognised globally, is a fine ambassador for his sartorial and classic elegance in dress and a torch bearer for many of the things that 'we' as members of TFL hold in high regard :)

- PADDY.

Edward

Bartender
Now, Cameron is making a statement. Cameron (and pretty much all the politicos in this country, with a few notable exceptions) intentionally wear bad suits. Usually ill-fitting. This is to try to make the absurd notion that their lives bear any resemblance to "ordinary" people a little more palatable to voters. It has failed on me.

Yes, I've seen this a lot over the past fifteen to twenty years. It's a mystery to me why it persists when it has been so demystified, but there you have it. I've never been convinced by it either, but then I've never carried the false impression that clothes must be scandalously expensive to fit well.

I have my shoes repaired, too, btw. A complete resole in London costs about £90. Provinces cheaper at about £30. My shoes are generally in the cheap £150-£200 range. I have to go to this price as the only people that make shoes small enough make them in this price range. If your shoes started out as good uppers, and the uppers are not irrevocably damaged, why change them? Just have the soles replaced when they need it.

Oh, I'm all for repairing rather than replacing, as long as it makes financial sense. All my shoes are in the sub £200 range (apart from one heavily discounted pair of Charles Tyrwhitt co-respondents), most of them significantly so. I did get a pair of leathr soles replaced, and very well, in Whitechapel for £40 a coupe of years ago. What I don't quite understand is the appeal of having a repair done to make it look repaired, but then I've never been a one for treatments to artificially age leather jackets either. [huh]

However, even if Charles may be making a statement with his expensive repaired shoes, I still have to say that I like his style and the fact that he does wear vintage clothing.

He is always impeccably dressed. Would that I could afford his tailor.

Last edited:

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
HRH The Prince of Wales is a 'sharp' dresser and the fact that he does wear 'hand-me-downs' is surely something 'many of us' would applaud and commend with our interest in vintage clothing and classic styling.
If I read this 'thread' correctly, then most of you seem to give the 'thumbs up' to HRH on his choice of dress, as it 'is' a fine piece of clothing and 'he' wears it well Gentlemen.
Be thankful that a man in his 'high position' who is recognised globally, is a fine ambassador for his sartorial and classic elegance in dress and a torch bearer for many of the things that 'we' as members of TFL hold in high regard :)

- PADDY.

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This thread has somewhat teetered on the 'edge' from the start. This is the SUITS Room Gents, where you comment on 'the suit.'
We do not have rooms in TFL where we condone or encourage 'sniping' and 'jibes' at individuals who happen to be in the public limelight.
But some comments have come across as rather personal slants against the PoW and his character, and this is not the place here, Gentlemen.
This thread has run its' course.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL