1. Lounge Update headed your way. Check the thread in the Observation Bar. If you don't like the light style, click the light bulb at the top-right of your screen.

Cigars - Country of Origin Tobacco and Your Favs

Discussion in 'The Connoisseur' started by John in Covina, May 13, 2009.

1. SteveAS

SteveAS Practically Family

I must say, I generally prefer Cuban cigars to those from other countries. They have a richness other cigars lack. That said, I agree with grundie: the different Cuban brands tend to be very similar. Worse, they're inconsistent in flavor and strength, so it's hard to know what your going to get.

But when they're good, they're very, very good . . .

RedPop4 likes this.
  2. 101 Pathfinder

101 Pathfinder A-List Customer

Perdomo...that’s my go to stick. I also like the AVO line and The Aging Room Bin 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. 101 Pathfinder

I find that Cubans need to go in my humidor for at least six months before they are smoke worth. Realizing that Cuba needs funds they age them less to get them to market faster. So put them away and they mellow and the flavors meld.

4. 101 Pathfinder

Exactly, couldn’t agree with you more. I used to smoke Don Jaun which was Nicaraguan with a Connecticut wrapper but they’ve been left by the wayside by the powers that be. Perdomo is now my go to stick.

RedPop4 likes this.
  5. Foch

Foch New in Town

Tatuajes from Pete Johnson. Liga privada
    Drew Estates, My father.

Thank God for Tobacco

RedPop4 likes this.
  6. RedPop4

RedPop4 One Too Many

I routinely get an hour or more out of a robusto. Don't know why, but I simply smoke slowly, I guess.

7. RedPop4

RedPop4 One Too Many

I don't know about the quality, I do know from reading over the years, that certain blends and tobaccos are used depending upon the destination market.

8. RedPop4

RedPop4 One Too Many

I don't really have a favorite, I like them all in some way or another. Companies based in Nicaragua and using Nicaraguan tobacco, over the last ten or so years, are really making great cigars. The Don Pepin Garcia family--My Father, including Tatuaje and Ilusione, are all top-notch. Perdomo and Padron of course with excellent consistency, are great, too; I am partial to the Perdomo Habano and Perdomo Lot 23.

Steve Saka, working with the Joya de Nicaragua factory is making some outstanding cigars in the last two years. His company called Dunbarton Trust, makes: Sobremesa (really good,) Mi Querida (OUTSTANDING,) Todos Las Dias (not a misspelling...OUTSTANDING,) Umbagog (have not had one,) and Muestra de Saka (I have them, just haven't tried, yet.)

Another OUTSTANDING Nicaraguan-based company is A.J. Fernandez, and he's about the hottest thing going in the past four or five years. His Ave Maria brand is simply wonderful, these were my last box purchase. He makes lines called New World, Enclave, San Lotano, and has collaborated with both Altadis and General cigar companies to make line extensions of the H. Upmann, Monte by Montecristo and a Romeo y Julieta. For General he has made two versions called the Hoyo la Amistad. The original is a great cigar, and actually affordable, in the $6.00 per cigar range at my local shop. I received and reviewed these over on Cigar Weekly within the past year.