Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cirrus A2: What are your opinions?

NowOrNever

Familiar Face
Like many others here, I have been taken with the classic A2 jacket styling, not to mention envious of those people who wear them and actually look cool!

I have learnt quite a lot of valuable information from reading Fedora Lounge threads. I live in England, so it would make sense to deal with either Aero or Eastman. However as it happens I discovered the Cirrus tailors are operating in England, and also make an A2 styled jacket. Not many clear photographs of their jackets on the website though...

Does anyone here actually own a Cirrus A2, or has seen them to examine?

I would appreciate any thoughts or opinions on the A2 jacket (the Irvin looks quite good) since there is very little concerning Cirrus to be read.

Thanks.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
NowOrNever said:

Does anyone here actually own a Cirrus A2, or has seen them to examine?

I would appreciate any thoughts or opinions on the A2 jacket (the Irvin looks quite good) since there is very little concerning Cirrus to be read.

Thanks.

I just had a look at their site, it looks to me that they make the modern versions of these classic flight jackets. They look nice in the photos, but in terms of repro authenticity, I doubt that there is any except for the basic designs. Also, if you look at the prices, when compared to the Aero, say, the B3 and the Cirrus so called B3, there is not much difference. In that case, I would always go for Aero.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
I'm with Justhandguns on this one - just had a look at the A2 on the Cirrus site and it's very plastic-y. From the way the collar and pockets are shaped, to the hardware and general cut, it looks like they've been making that particular jacket since they started - to me, it's very 1980s...

I bought a secondhand Aero goatskin A2 off E*ay for £150 as a 40th birthday prezzie to myself. There's so much of a difference between the Cirrus jacket and an Aero or Eastman – even early Cooper or Avirex jackets are pretty darn good, really – that it seems a bit steep to spend £350 on what is essentially close to something that Jeremy Clarkson would wear!

You could probably pick up a Cooper A2, which was the first one I had, for around £50-£60 on E*ay. I got my Cooper from a charity shop for £12.50 and immediately realised why I'd gone off a dark brown 'A2-style' jacket I'd had a few years previously – I'd decided that it was too 'Top Gear presenter' after about a week. The cut and details on an A2 are part of its basic appeal – the Cirrus jacket is kinda like a modern Mini Cooper, whereas a 'proper' A2, with a reasonable amount of attention paid to fit, collar/pocket style, materials and hardware is like a 1960s Mini Cooper: a singularly appealing design.

I'd give sticking a 'wanted' post in the FL classifieds and looking on E*ay a go. There are experts on FL who can help you as to the right sizes for each maker's A2s, as they all fit slightly differently. Then you'll get a secondhand, already broken-in 'proper' A2 at a much, much lower price than a Cirrus.

Please don't buy a Cirrus, tis fuggly! ;)

NowOrNever

Familiar Face
Badgered by a Gun! :)

Thanks to both of you for taking time to reply concerning the Cirrus A2.

I think you have both made very valid comments, given the cost of the Cirrus and the alternatives. Quite possibly I would become dissatisfied knowing that the accuracy is greater on alternatives, despite the Cirrus having the basic "look". (I suppose even that is subjective)

I know I would be impatient to naturally wear in a new A2, hence the attraction of Time Worn by Eastman...

I have seen several forum members wearing wonderful Aero A2's! Some people can carry them off better than others. I don't even know if they would suit me really.

The suggestion of pre-owned is both economical and a "lazy" way to get a worn look ;-) Especially if in reality they don't suit me as I would wish :-/

I've actually wanted a good A2 for years now, so maybe more patience & some appropiate luck is required!

Thanks again.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Hey, it's a pleasure! You may get the idea that A2 ownership is summat like being in the Moonies lol but getting your hands on a good one is really a lot simpler than you'd think. I looked on E*ay for a coupla weeks and, bingo.

If you're not sure about whether an A2 would fit, as I said, ask on FL...

As for whether you'd actually suit one, if you look at the different shapes'n'sizes of folks on FL who post pics, and also the shots of WW2 crews wearing 'em, they're a pretty forgiving style. Unlike, say, a 'classic' motorcycle jacket.

You could invest a little cash in a Cooper A2 and see how it goes from there... worked for me!

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I have just recently bought an Eastman .50Cal A-2. Yes, I know, it is a steerhide, not an HH, but I just fell in love with the 'Time worn' colour of the leather and the berry knits. I was trying to find the Stars Sports Wear ones but it looks like that Eastman have dis-continued it. :eusa_doh:

IMG_0942.jpg

The fit, honestly, is not like any biker's jacket at all. The shoulder cut does not look wide at all. I am quite a slim person, 1.8m, slight more than 11st., if I wear just a T-shirt underneath, there will be quite a bit of room at the back. I tried the size 38 and the shoulders are just not wide enough, so I went for the 40. (For your references, I also wear a size 40 Vanson Model B).

As far as I know, there are few other drawings/contracts which have slimmer cut. I am sure there will be others who can help you out.

alfyman

One of the Regulars
My Opinion

Well...I really love the Jacket i received, Sheepskin B3 Hurricane, Although I Know many have their own view. Yes I do Love the Eastman B3 because i had the opportunity to own a new one and Dwell in it for a few years, and I love everything about it including the history. But The Cirrus B3 has brought me More compliments and comfort and a look, I am glad people stop me..

NowOrNever

Familiar Face
Photo much appreciated!

Thanks "Justhandguns" for the photo and the size information. I am of similar height and build, so it makes especially useful reading.

I've read many times how people have been disappointed after a long wait only to find the jacket does not fit them! In some cases the same person has had several disappointments :-/

I'd say you chose well and the fit is quite good on you. It isn't easy to achieve for many people.

The 50 Cal, is a great looking finish & does appeal to me. I prefer the "aged" appearance that Time Worn simulates so well. It is my rough understanding that steer and horse look very similar in appearance. Although there is a great deal of debate over the hides longer term characteristics. Personally I would consider either if it meant a good fit and look...

Thanks for your advice.

Alfyman: You have made a interesting point since you have owned both a Cirrus and an Eastman B3 styled jacket. Comfort is obviously very important & it is interesting that the Cirrus has gained more compliments than your previous Eastman. I suppose each jacket appeals in different ways to other people...

I also like the original B3 style. Some of the jackets that Cirrus make do seem good quality. I particularly liked the Cirrus Irvin. It seems that Irvin is the most authentic looking in their range. I just wish they had better quality photographs including their A2 on the rather limited website.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
alfyman said:
But The Cirrus B3 has brought me More compliments and comfort and a look, I am glad people stop me..

:eek:fftopic:
Back when I had a ALC "Irvin" - which is about as fluffy and teddybear-like as a Cirrus, I also got lots of looks and compliments - especially from the ladies, who found it soft and cudly.
Some even wanted to snug up in it!!!;)

Now when I have a Aero Irvin - which besides Eastmans - is the closest you get to the real thing, I get lots of compliments from guys who knows!

To each his own lol

NowOrNever

Familiar Face
Your expereince is just as welcome :)

Spitfire thanks for your input. I think your comments are still relevant in the wider sense... after all who doesn't want their jacket to at least "suit" them?

I was attracted to the A2 style becuase it is a classic design, has a history and looks good to GREAT on many people. As far as inviting compliments, that truly has to be an added bonus, regardless of which style of jacket. Maybe that is part of the charm & attraction of seeking said jacket?

Actually the more positive stories I hear, the more intrigue seems to be attributted to those "special" jackets that so many people seek. Me included! lol

Thanks.

kampkatz

Practically Family
NowOrNever said:
Spitfire thanks for your input. I think your comments are still relevant in the wider sense... after all who doesn't want their jacket to at least "suit" them?

I was attracted to the A2 style becuase it is a classic design, has a history and looks good to GREAT on many people. As far as inviting compliments, that truly has to be an added bonus, regardless of which style of jacket. Maybe that is part of the charm & attraction of seeking said jacket?

Actually the more positive stories I hear, the more intrigue seems to be attributted to those "special" jackets that so many people seek. Me included! lol

Thanks.
Maybe the A-2 is just the first of your accurate WW2 flight jacket collection. No need to limit your amount of fine historical leather.

NowOrNever

Familiar Face
Daydreams?

Kampkatz: What a lovely thought! I'm sure many people enjoy several sought after jackets... anyway I have to get my first yet!

Justhandguns

Practically Family
kampkatz said:
Maybe the A-2 is just the first of your accurate WW2 flight jacket collection. No need to limit your amount of fine historical leather.

I think many would agree here that the A-2 is just an addiction. You will never satisfy with you current collection as there is always one out there which is better. My current A-2 is a steerhide Eastman, it is more for like an everyday casual jacket for me, so I just went for the look. My target, for the next A-2 would be an original contract, probably a slimmer fit one, with proper decals & badges, and most importantly, HH......

Damn, I hope my salary is sustainable for these kind of hobbies......

NowOrNever

Familiar Face
Just add water...

Justhandguns: I agree with A2's being a passion and an "addiction". I've been admiring them for years. I wanted a good A2 for just as long.

In some ways it has never been easier to aquire a good reproduction. Several good reproduction tailors now and the internet make it that much more attainable. However nothing seems to quell the restless search for the "perfect" jacket!

I think Fedora Lounge is home to many enthusiasts with a similar "mania" for flight /leather jacket too...

I recall reading a thread on this forum concerning a particularly good reproduction A2. Among the many posts of admiration one stood out concerning the COST of the jacket. He posted:

"That is a lot of Raymen Noodles (instant / Pot Noodles) or Baked Beans, if you know what I mean?"

Well having lived off noodles & canned foods myself during my time, I KNOW exactly what he means...

Yea A2 collecting can be expensive in the quest for the NEXT "better" or special jacket. At least you are aware of the cost in real terms.

Having said that I am quite sure you made a good choice with that Eastman 50 Cal, it is on my own "wish list" & it will serve you well for years to come. Enjoy :)

casper

New in Town
I've just bought a second hand Cirrus A2 the 3 oz. steerhide version. I know my jackets and this is as good as an Eastman or an Aero. The authenticity is 100%. The only slight change is the interior coat strap which on the original A2 is a leather rectangular strip and also the name title just states ''Cirrus''.

I have a good knowledge of leather jackets and own another Cirrus the Irvin copy; again a superb jacket.

A word to the wise both of my jackets are pre owned but immaculate and the A2 is a 2001 model and the leather has improved with age. The Irvin copy is only about 2 years old but still mint!

I like Eastman jackets - but they tend to be over priced.

Casper

NowOrNever

Familiar Face
I've just bought a second hand Cirrus A2 the 3 oz. steerhide version. I know my jackets and this is as good as an Eastman or an Aero. The authenticity is 100%. The only slight change is the interior coat strap which on the original A2 is a leather rectangular strip and also the name title just states ''Cirrus''.

I have a good knowledge of leather jackets and own another Cirrus the Irvin copy; again a superb jacket.

A word to the wise both of my jackets are pre owned but immaculate and the A2 is a 2001 model and the leather has improved with age. The Irvin copy is only about 2 years old but still mint!

I like Eastman jackets - but they tend to be over priced.

Casper

Casper thanks for replying to my thread. It was a surprise to find any new replies! It is always interesting to hear other people's opinions on makers and jackets. Glad that you are pleased with your 3 oz Cirrus A-2. I would still like to see one in person. Nothing like actually holding/ wearing a jacket for evavluation purposes. Photographs are a second best in that respect.

Although I did eventually track down an Eastman A-2 at a reduced price, I firmly believe there is always a *better* jacket waiting to be found (I mean that in the general jacket "mania" sense, no disrespect to the awsome Eastman jackets)!! Mine was also steerhide & I've always wondered how differently horsehide would wear/ appear...

Thanks again, your opinion was appreciated.

casper

New in Town
Casper thanks for replying to my thread. It was a surprise to find any new replies! It is always interesting to hear other people's opinions on makers and jackets. Glad that you are pleased with your 3 oz Cirrus A-2. I would still like to see one in person. Nothing like actually holding/ wearing a jacket for evavluation purposes. Photographs are a second best in that respect.

Although I did eventually track down an Eastman A-2 at a reduced price, I firmly believe there is always a *better* jacket waiting to be found (I mean that in the general jacket "mania" sense, no disrespect to the awsome Eastman jackets)!! Mine was also steerhide & I've always wondered how differently horsehide would wear/ appear...

Thanks again, your opinion was appreciated.

No problem, you may want to consider Aero jackets, they are quite expensive now but are as authentic as Eastman, they are
not cheap though. Personally Cirrus are under rated. But guys who want full 100% authenticity don't like them, but I see the quality shine through without the price of an Eastman. I have to say though Eastman are superb jackets, but if you check any Eastman on e bay or similar sites you'll see the price is pretty high.

My criteria was a wearable every day A2 and the 3 oz Cirrus fits the bill. Like I said I got mine pre owned and saved a shed load of money as new Cirrus jackets are not cheap either.

Casper

Edward

Bartender
Yes, Cirrus are close to the others prices new (at least when last I looked), but they do tend to be much cheaper used. From what I can see they are every bit as good in terms of quality as garments, but as historically accurate reproductions leave a lot to be desired as compared to Aero, ELC, etc. Similar to Aviation Leathercraft in that respect. It's really then a matter of priority as to whether you personally prefer a vintage style garment or a more modern reinterpretation of the original designs.

casper

New in Town
Some pictures of the Cirrus A2 3 oz. steer hide. This one is11 years old and wearing fine....

CirrusA2006.jpg

CirrusA2009.jpg

CirrusA2003.jpg

Edward said:

''Yes, Cirrus are close to the others prices new (at least when last I looked), but they do tend to be much cheaper used. From what I can see they are every bit as good in terms of quality as garments, but as historically accurate reproductions leave a lot to be desired as compared to Aero, ELC, etc. Similar to Aviation Leathercraft in that respect. It's really then a matter of priority as to whether you personally prefer a vintage style garment or a more modern reinterpretation of the original designs.''

Very true and thats where I won out, the garment quality is as good but 100% authenticity is an Eastman thing. Cirrus are as good for the main garment, but I bought mine second hand at a fraction of the buy new cost.

Casper ;)

Last edited:

NowOrNever

Familiar Face
Casper, I was impressed by the colour and apperance of the hide of your Cirrus A-2. After 11 years it is taking on a unique apperance. It is a nice looking russet shade. The stitching looks immaculate too & I like the pocket flap shape which is flattering. Personally I can't distinguish the apperance of steerhide from horsehide jackets. Although I think that horsehide it is usually more expensive to aquire.

As Edward noted the quality of Cirrus does seem to be very high, as seen in the photos. Recently I have noticed more people wearing A-2 styled jackets around my locality many of which don't appear to be as high quality as Cirrus. In general the A-2 seems to be gaining more popularity here in England.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to upload the photos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany