Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cirrus A2: What are your opinions?

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree with Edward here. Cirrus A2s are not accurate repros. Their goatskin A2 style jacket is very cheap at £140. The double stitching on the pocket on the jacket photographed above was never a feature on original A2s. They now do a custom A2 for £440 and you can have these added "authentic" features: Zip-in sheepskin liner for 78.00 and a detatchable mouton collar for 45.00.

Their Irvin style jackets look ok from a distance, but the fine details are wrong. They are not designed for those who want a 100% accurate Irvin. The quality is fine though.

casper

New in Town
I agree with Edward here. Cirrus A2s are not accurate repros. Their goatskin A2 style jacket is very cheap at £140. The double stitching on the pocket on the jacket photographed above was never a feature on original A2s. They now do a custom A2 for £440 and you can have these added "authentic" features: Zip-in sheepskin liner for 78.00 and a detatchable mouton collar for 45.00.

Their Irvin style jackets look ok from a distance, but the fine details are wrong. They are not designed for those who want a 100% accurate Irvin. The quality is fine though.

awastland

no problem I totally agree with what you've said in your post. I have owned Aero, Eastman and Cirrus jackets. I rate them all as good jackets. Cirrus are NOT the sort of jacket to offer 100% authenticity, like for example an Eastman for instance. As you point out the fine detail isn't there - llike on an Eastman.

For me, I am happy with Cirrus, as if you want a nice fairly authentic A2 and a fairly authentic Irvin (copy) they are 100 % fine and the quality of craftsmanship is as good as Aero or Eastman - IMHO. But you will not get WW2 authenticity; so buyer beware.

I wanted a wear every day A2 and a wear in the cold weather Irvin and Cirrus are good for me - plus both of my jackets are second hand and I saved a shed load of money on purchase price (the Irvin was £250 almost as good as new and the 10 year old A2 was £89).

If you like the A2 check this web site out.....

http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/index.shtml

Casper

Last edited:

casper

New in Town
Forgot to mention.

Oh, horse hide, well, usually the maker is proud to state ''horse hide'' on the label e.g. Aero leather Clothing Scotland. How to tell them apart? Well, IMHO, difficult, front quarter horsehide is tough and long lasting but expensive; that's why anyone buying it pays a premium price for horse hide; there isn't a lot around. Less so today than say in the 1930s.

Unlike goatskin which is easy to tell apart from say steer hide, horse hide is harder to tell apart from steer hide. Unless any one else knows different?

Casper :)

Edward

Bartender
Very true and thats where I won out, the garment quality is as good but 100% authenticity is an Eastman thing. Cirrus are as good for the main garment, but I bought mine second hand at a fraction of the buy new cost.

Casper ;)

Ha, I hear you on that.... For very similar reasons my B15-C is an Alpha Replica, not a Buzz Rickson. ;)

Lovely looking hide on that A2 type, btw.

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
, horse hide is harder to tell apart from steer hide. Unless any one else knows different?

Casper :)
It has been said that the only reliable way to tell horsehide from cowhide (steerhide), is by doing DNA testing. They can be so similar looking. So I have heard from by others who know more than me.

Mark

Practically Family
Hi Casper
I have been looking for some information about the Cirrus A2 in Heavy Steerhide. I already have a Cirrus Defender (Irvin style sheepskin) that is a real beaut, so i know they make nice stuff. I had been a little indecisive about the hide and colour, my original order was for their 1.5mil cow hide in Africa brown. This is a very dark brown with a hint of red/chestnut in it but after a week or so i decided it was too dark and would not develop the character/patina i love in a jacket. So yesterday i changed my order to the 3oz Brown Steerhide. How do you find your jacket, is it heavy, easy or difficult to put on? The photos of yours look lovely .
I'd appreciate any thoughts you have about the jacket.
Many Thanks Mark

casper

New in Town
Hi Casper
I have been looking for some information about the Cirrus A2 in Heavy Steerhide. I already have a Cirrus Defender (Irvin style sheepskin) that is a real beaut, so i know they make nice stuff. I had been a little indecisive about the hide and colour, my original order was for their 1.5mil cow hide in Africa brown. This is a very dark brown with a hint of red/chestnut in it but after a week or so i decided it was too dark and would not develop the character/patina i love in a jacket. So yesterday i changed my order to the 3oz Brown Steerhide. How do you find your jacket, is it heavy, easy or difficult to put on? The photos of yours look lovely .
I'd appreciate any thoughts you have about the jacket.
Many Thanks Mark

Mark

Basically the Cirrus A2 is a good looking jacket. It is heavy and of course (as per the original A2) only has the top entry pockets, not side entry hand warmer pockets. If you want an authentic A2 you won't go far wrong with it BUT if you are someone who wants absolute authentic detail down to the last thread it would need to be an Eastman or Aero leather.

I purchased my Cirrus A2 via E bay and it was a lovely example at a fraction of the cost of buying new - incidentally it is 11 years old and the quality shines through as you can see by the photos. But very gently worn.

Casper

Last edited:

Mark

Practically Family
Thanks Casper

When you say heavy, heavy same as an Aero FQHH Highwayman for example? just trying to gauge how heavy, certainly would'nt want it any heavier than my Highwayman. Shame they don't have the colour i like in their 1.5 mil cow leather.
Thanks again
mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy