Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Brown Wingtips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
If you live in North America it's basically impossible to get a better bang for your buck than Allen Edmonds, although as noted BB's Alden and Crocket Jones offerings are excellent if you can make the stretch moneywise.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
If you live in North America it's basically impossible to get a better bang for your buck than Allen Edmonds, although as noted BB's Alden and Crocket Jones offerings are excellent if you can make the stretch moneywise.

With ebay, there are a lot of unworn shoes available from UK makers at a price comparable to store-bought AE.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
BB's Alden and Crocket Jones offerings are excellent if you can make the stretch moneywise.
If you watch their sales (semi-annual?) the Peals can usually be had at a significant discount, often at AE's list price or even lower.

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
I received the Florsheim Imperials in the mail today and I was impressed, they each came wrapped in a velvet pouch, the leather is thick and of a high quality, the shoe is fully leather lined with a full sewn leather sole, including a nailed heal. The shoe overall is impressive made in India or not. I bought a pair of Johnston and Murphy wingtips in black and these seem much nicer. If they do fall apart in a few years I'll try a more expensive pair, but honestly they appear to be built like a tank and I don't see that happening. I would take some photos but I'm dog tired after work and feeling very lazy. When it's all said and done I feel like they are worth every penny of the $180.00 I paid for them.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
I received the Florsheim Imperials in the mail today and I was impressed, the leather is thick and of a high quality.

Uh, OK. The leather is corrected grain and injected with plastic. The grain in the leather (if you did get the gunboat) is the only reason why the creasing will not be insane from the get-go. I am very glad you like them, but in the grand scheme of shoes, they are in the bottom rung. Maybe the top half of that bottom rung, but still. If you are happy, though, that is all that matters.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
If I came across as harsh, I apologize. It is just that I spend a lot of time convincing (and successfully, once given the chance) top tier modern shoe buyers (Edward Green, JL UK, and anything else ready to wear) that true U.S. Vintage shoes are every bit the match of their favorites. In many cases, they are actually superior because it is nearly impossible to find a true hand-welted shoe for under $1500 (or much more). Leather is also superior in most cases.

This is a vintage website, and I am always pushing members to actually TRY VINTAGE SHOES! Sadly, so many people get stuck on buying from modern U.S. brands that have almost nothing in common with the products they turned out 60+ years ago... and many don't even MAKE their own shoes anymore. Modern AE is far removed from vintage US shoes of quality, but at least there's some kind of a thread connecting the 2.

Florsheim has absolutely NOTHING in common with the fantastic shoes it once made. Even their staple shoe, the gunboat, is just a copy of a shoe that didn't really get popular until the1960's... and by then the US Vintage era had really already ended (at least it was going downward FAST)! Their shoes are made in CHINA and INDIA for gosh sakes. What the heck does that have to do with "Vintage Shoes"?

Again, if you like them, I am truly happy for you, but I will always push those on the Vintage site to try actual Vintage shoes... and be somewhat disappointed when they settle for something else. If you had been patient and waited a few weeks, something could have been found that would be truly special.

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
Uh, OK. The leather is corrected grain and injected with plastic. The grain in the leather (if you did get the gunboat) is the only reason why the creasing will not be insane from the get-go. I am very glad you like them, but in the grand scheme of shoes, they are in the bottom rung. Maybe the top half of that bottom rung, but still. If you are happy, though, that is all that matters.

:rolleyes:

Not sure what you don't get about me not wanting to wear someones stinking vintage shoes, I find it a bit nasty to be honest, feet are vile, and mens feet ultra-repulsive. Nor do I want to spend $350 for a pair of shoes, I have three kids to feed, a wife in college, and a mortgage for a house I bought in the height of the market, I like nice things but have to couple that with being responsible. If someone lives near an outlet and can get a pair for $250 during a once a year sale, good on you, I don't have the time for that I need a brown pair of work shoes yesterday, my other ones fell apart on me (those were cheap garbage).

This isn't just a vintage site, plenty of new clothes are purchased and recommended. All I asked for was a decent pair of brown wingtips for under $250.00.

I'm weary of stuff made in India and China, but the shoes are good quality, I'm handling them and know cheap leather and poor manufacturing, these are not that, for $180 they're a good value. I'm not comparing them to $1500 shoes, I'm comparing them to $180 shoes, and I would say they stack up very well.

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Not all vintage shoes are foot funky, I do have many pairs of shoes never had a foot in them, and they are real old. Some others do as well, I know for a fact. Toe jam is not my cup of tea, but I also am willing to "treat" shoes both never worn ones, or used ones the same way, and by the time I am done, no know "human" foot funk would survive! lol!

I do respect that you have a full plate in your personal life. You did what you had to do, and for that you did the right thing, no question.

Hopefully at some point of time you can find a great pair of vintage and compare them to ones you have now, you'd be amazed on the difference. If you hunt for them, you'd find them. They are not always sky high price wise, either.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up

Not sure what you don't get about me not wanting to wear someones stinking vintage shoes, I find it a bit nasty to be honest, feet are vile, and mens feet ultra-repulsive. Nor do I want to spend $350 for a pair of shoes, I have three kids to feed, a wife in college, and a mortgage for a house I bought in the height of the market, I like nice things but have to couple that with being responsible. If someone lives near an outlet and can get a pair for $250 during a once a year sale, good on you, I don't have the time for that I need a brown pair of work shoes yesterday, my other ones fell apart on me (those were cheap garbage).

This isn't just a vintage site, plenty of new clothes are purchased and recommended. All I asked for was a decent pair of brown wingtips for under $250.00.

I'm weary of stuff made in India and China, but the shoes are good quality, I'm handling them and know cheap leather and poor manufacturing, these are not that, for $180 they're a good value. I'm not comparing them to $1500 shoes, I'm comparing them to $180 shoes, and I would say they stack up very well.

You don't have to live near an Allen Edmonds outlet to shop there.
Here are some email addresses for Allen Edmonds outlets.
jville@allenedmonds.com - Jeffersonville,Ohio
riverhead@allenedmonds.com-Riverhead,New York
destin@allenedmonds.com- Destin, Fla
shoebank@allenedmonds.com-Port Washington,Wisconsin
brookfield@allenedmonds.com-Brookfield,Wisconsin

Just fire off an email with a subject line " Shoes in size ##"
Then again Body "Shoes in size ##"

They will fire right back with all the shoes they have in that size and the prices.
They will also send you the sales they have when they come up.
Real easy to order from an Allen Edmonds store. Love them.
Just got 2 for 250 sale shoes this week and both seconds where prefect not a problem that you could see.
Men's shoes cost so much more than Women's shoes that you have to finds a way to save money some how. An you get shoes that will last for years. Not the crap sold in most stores these days.
The fused sole shoes are just bad.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many

See, you are busy explaining your purchase and missing the point. For what you spent there WERE options! And, despite what you believe, this IS a vintage themed website. Not everything is vintage per-se, but at least the styles and/or makers harken back to vintage items and times.

AND, no one said ANYTHING about $1500 shoes. Just MUCH better alternatives than Indian Florsheims.

For your money, it would have been nice if you could have at least tried any of the many suggestions, all of which were superior to modern Florsheims.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
You don't have to live near an Allen Edmonds outlet to shop there.
Here are some email addresses for Allen Edmonds outlets.
jville@allenedmonds.com - Jeffersonville,Ohio
riverhead@allenedmonds.com-Riverhead,New York
destin@allenedmonds.com- Destin, Fla
shoebank@allenedmonds.com-Port Washington,Wisconsin
brookfield@allenedmonds.com-Brookfield,Wisconsin

Just fire off an email with a subject line " Shoes in size ##"
Then again Body "Shoes in size ##"

They will fire right back with all the shoes they have in that size and the prices.
They will also send you the sales they have when they come up.
Real easy to order from an Allen Edmonds store. Love them.
Just got 2 for 250 sale shoes this week and both seconds where prefect not a problem that you could see.
Men's shoes cost so much more than Women's shoes that you have to finds a way to save money some how. An you get shoes that will last for years. Not the crap sold in most stores these days.
The fused sole shoes are just bad.

Now THIS is good advice for what you were looking for! Everyone here knows I am not a huge modern AE fan (as compared with true vintage), but for what was being sought by the OP, this was a superb option.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
See, you are busy explaining your purchase and missing the point. For what you spent there WERE options! And, despite what you believe, this IS a vintage themed website. Not everything is vintage per-se, but at least the styles and/or makers harken back to vintage items and times.

AND, no one said ANYTHING about $1500 shoes. Just MUCH better alternatives than Indian Florsheims.

For your money, it would have been nice if you could have at least tried any of the many suggestions, all of which were superior to modern Florsheims.

Yeah I for one am getting tired of all this poor mouth stuff and clueless abuse when it comes to vintage shoes and then trying to congratulate yourself on some poxy pair of new cheap nasties that have no vintage connection whatsoever. Just stick to the script and don't bother posting crap and congratualting yourself for it. You are tiresome gedditt?.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy