Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Hat Makers List

DJH

I'll Lock Up
It might be better to set this up as a wiki page, rather than trying to maintain one very long list.

That way, experts in the various markets and companies would be able to update the relevant sections without having to worry about the others.

wandering-trader

New in Town
Information on Pedigree brand rlk dug up for me for my corporate archaeology class research:

Direct pdf of company history here.

M.S. Levy and Sons merged with the New England Panama Hat Company and Brigham Hopkins Co. in 1939, operating under the name of Men's Hats, Inc.. The business was prominent in both the straw and felt hat market.

The Levy's retired from the hat industry in 1959, and in 1964, Men's Hats, Inc. closed its doors permanently.

Last edited:
Langenburg (Lion Hats)
Founded in 1860 as Gauss, Hunicke & Krause in St. Louis, the Langenburg Hat Co is the forerunner of Beaver Brand hats.

The company went through numerous mutations in its early years, as partners came and went. Gauss, Hunicke & Krause of 1860 became Gauss-Hunicke & Company in 1863 when Mr. Krause sold his interest. In 1881 the company was incorporated as Gauss-Hunicke Hat Company.

When Mr. Hunicke retired in 1885, Mr. Shelton joined the company, and it became Gauss-Shelton until 1901, when Mr. Shelton left to join White-Branch-McConkin, and Mr. Langenberg joined the firm. The company was renamed the Langenberg Hat Company in 1919.

In 1922 Langenberg absorbed the White-Branch Hat Company of St. Louis, and in 1926 they acquired Parrotte, McIntyre & Co. of Chicago.

The company moved its operations from St. Louis to New Haven Missouri in 1928, where it formed and shaped hats from stock materials manufactured at other locations. During peak production, the factory produced and shipped nearly 500,000 hats domestically and around the world each year. The facility closed in the late 1990s and the company was liquidated in 2000.

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I didn't find a dedicated Langenberg or Beaver Brand thread. Ran across this Shelton Hat Co. that is undoubtedly under the same umbrella based on the sweat graphics and size tag style.

30645106181_56419deedf_z.jpg

30645106301_c846173691_z.jpg

30645106841_775fe256f8_z.jpg

30696506176_554232cdc6_z.jpg

30696506726_29dd7b6447_z.jpg

65 Classic

Practically Family
Roth1.jpg
Roth3.jpg
According to what I've read, the Rothschild Bros Hat Co was a top player in the early 1900's. Very little info. I picked up a Rothschild Star Longley that looks like the one advertised on a 1919 The Saturday Evening Post. Does anyone know anything about this brand?
Roth ad.jpg

fabiovenhorst

Call Me a Cab
Chapéus Vicente Cury
Founded in 1920 in Campinas - SP - Brazil by Miguel Vicente Cury and his father Vicente Cury. Still in operation.

Ramenzoni - Dante Ramenzoni & Cia.
Founded in 1894 by Dante Ramenzoni, an italian immigrant in São Paulo - SP - Brazil.
Closed in 1972

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Question: has anyone heard of or bought a hat from the Mercury Hat Company?

I googled and checked the site but no joy. I tried the “Ask a Question” thread but got buried within a few minutes. Maybe someone has come across one before?

All the best,
Daniel

Pkyoakum

One of the Regulars
For vintage hat collectors, is there a list of best quality hat makers according to quality so when one is shopping for a vintage fedora, he has some idea what to look for? I see the list of brands which is helpful. But which were considered top of the line?

For vintage hat collectors, is there a list of best quality hat makers according to quality so when one is shopping for a vintage fedora, he has some idea what to look for? I see the list of brands which is helpful. But which were considered top of the line?
It is difficult to list as it is such a broad category. The larger hat makers had many different quality levels & price points. You would be best served, if you see a hat for sale then run that specific hat through the Lounge and ask for input for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider