Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classifying Old Hats (With Pics)

Molorom

Familiar Face
Hello,
Ive got some old hats im looking to sell,
but I dont know what they are really worth,
or how vintage they really are. I thought it would
be better to ask here instead of COW.

The Hat Specs Are As Follows:
3xBeaver Quality Stetson 7 1/4
and
Knox 7 1/4 new york/simon shankman

If they arent worth that much then Im not
intrested in selling.
Adam

EDIT-----link to hat pictures

http://members16.clubphoto.com/adam755392/2320648/owner-335a.phtml

note: Akubra not in the running

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Pictures

If you post pictures, of the outside, side, top, and inside of the hat(s) it will do wonders for the proper assessment.

Are there any stains, wear marks, MOTH DAMAGE (nibbles, tracks, holes). Any bad smells, smudges, cracks?

Leather, supple, clean, or worn, edge spotty, and brittle?

Ribbon, stains, wrinkkes?

Liner: plastic liner OK? Stains? Yellowing?

These are all good questions to ask.

It's kinda like "hey I have a Chevy to sell" what's it worth? Well, dents, mileage, year, condition, tires....blah blah blah..

You get the idea.

My advice to you is LOOK ON EBAY and see what people are ASKING and GETTING for SIMILAR hats in SIMILAR condition.

THen you have a great basis to price your hats, and make an intelligent decision as to what you will be compensated for your item.

Hope this helps. I'd love to see pics.;)

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Adam

most generic hats such as a Stetson 3x or a Knox will bring about $ 25 to $ 75 depending on condition. Exceptionally clean, and of the style (ie. not a stingy brim) will maybe go higher. Check Ebay and see...also some other web pages devoted to vintage clothing.

I look forward to photos. I am sure you have some very nice items!

Fedora

Vendor
Well, if that 3x is like the one that I have, I am interested. A high definition pic would tell me, as what I am after stands out in a crowd. Fedora

Molorom

Familiar Face
the knox is grey the other 2 are brown.
The 3rd hat is a royal stetson in brown
dated 1945 with orig box and reciept.
Adam

Pictures will come soon

All are size 7 1/4

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You have some nice hats

The Akubra is the nicest, and the shape most like, if I can be so bold.

Too bad it has some heavy moth nibbles, but they are fortunately on the underside of the brim. I guess it is the hat your face and side profile shows.

The others are in my estimation, the later 50's or early 60's. They look to stand a good cleaning. The liners look great.

IMHO Keep the Akubra, you can wear it for a long time and not worry about your "new" hat getting dirty.

THe others are $25 hats, on Ebay, for the right person, except for the one missing a ribbon. It will cost $10 or so to have someone sew one on, unless Fedora wants to tackle it. But that still involves paying shipping both ways, and last hat I shipped out cost about $9 bucks one way.

I'd recommend looking around to see the STYLE , brim width, and "look" you want..then buy.

Have you more hats? What size do you wear...the Akubra looked big in the photo, may be just the angle.

:)

Fedora

Vendor
I agree with Andykev on the value. Those vintage hats are all stingy brim models, and not what I am interested in. BTW, the Akubra was blocked by me, for Rick, and made its way to this young man. If I recall correctly, Rick wanted the brim left long on the front and back, and it looks the part in that pic. It looks like a keeper, and will look better on ya as you grow into it. :D regards, Fedora

Molorom

Familiar Face
Andy,
I made the ribbon on the Akubra my self,
And I am sure I could make another for that
other hat. I was not planning on selling the Akubra,
As i just got it from rick and I love it. Fedora,
you did a great job on the blocking. Is there a way
I could clean the hats?
Adam

Staff online

Forum statistics