Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cloth sweat band

Pat_H

A-List Customer
I'll try to keep my story short here, but I'll add a little background to my question.

I had a really well made M1911 campaign hat replica that was really first rate. Shaping it field style myself (bending the brim down fore and aft), I wore it as a fishing etc. hat for years. It took a beating and finally passed away on a sad day that also involved my dog getting bitten by a rattlesnake (he survived). The hat had nothing to do with that, but it was getting really ratty anyhow and it departed my open topped Jeep on this day when I was rather in a hurry, and when I went back later, when I could, it was nowhere to be found.

Anyhow, I thought about replacing it for some time even though I have plenty of other hats, and then stumbled upon Stratton. They make the Park Service hat and I ordered one, with the intent to shape the brim as noted and give it a go. To my surprise, when it arrived the sweat band is fabric, not leather.

That distresses me a bit. I need a new sweat band put in an old Stetson anyhow, if I can find a place to do it. Should I have one put in the Stratton? Or should I just give up on it as it'll have real field use. Or is the fabric band okay?

I'll try to keep my story short here, but I'll add a little background to my question.

I had a really well made M1911 campaign hat replica that was really first rate. Shaping it field style myself (bending the brim down fore and aft), I wore it as a fishing etc. hat for years. It took a beating and finally passed away on a sad day that also involved my dog getting bitten by a rattlesnake (he survived). The hat had nothing to do with that, but it was getting really ratty anyhow and it departed my open topped Jeep on this day when I was rather in a hurry, and when I went back later, when I could, it was nowhere to be found.

Anyhow, I thought about replacing it for some time even though I have plenty of other hats, and then stumbled upon Stratton. They make the Park Service hat and I ordered one, with the intent to shape the brim as noted and give it a go. To my surprise, when it arrived the sweat band is fabric, not leather.

That distresses me a bit. I need a new sweat band put in an old Stetson anyhow, if I can find a place to do it. Should I have one put in the Stratton? Or should I just give up on it as it'll have real field use. Or is the fabric band okay?
I don't like them but I have a fabric band in a Panama and once its on my head don't notice it at all. Sweat band replacement will run you $30 to $50 installed plus the cost of mailing ($40 round trip) AND the wait. I would encourage you to consider doing it yourself. FineVintageFedoras on Etsy.com sell really good ones as do other sites on Etsy. It is not that hard to do and it will save you a bunch of money $20. Scott at FineVintage sends written instructions with his sweats and there are good instructions here on the Lounge.

Pat_H

A-List Customer
I don't like them but I have a fabric band in a Panama and once its on my head don't notice it at all. Sweat band replacement will run you $30 to $50 installed plus the cost of mailing ($40 round trip) AND the wait. I would encourage you to consider doing it yourself. FineVintageFedoras on Etsy.com sell really good ones as do other sites on Etsy. It is not that hard to do and it will save you a bunch of money $20. Scott at FineVintage sends written instructions with his sweats and there are good instructions here on the Lounge.

I pondered trying that and couldn't find anything on how to to do it. I'll look up the information re Scott. If anyone has any links (or instructions) on how to do it, I'd love to receive them.

I pondered trying that and couldn't find anything on how to to do it. I'll look up the information re Scott. If anyone has any links (or instructions) on how to do it, I'd love to receive them.
Google ...fedora lounge sewing in sweatband.....a wealth of info will come up......some with pics. If you have issues along way shoot me a PM> Google search works much better than the Fed Lounge search

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I think, honestly, I'd just leave the Stratton alone, as is. I'm assuming that it's a pretty stiff uniform hat and probably of mediocre felt quality at best. Your old Stetson, however, is a different story if it needs a new sweat. So, in my opinion, Stratton no. Stetson yes. But, that's just me.

Pat_H

A-List Customer
I think, honestly, I'd just leave the Stratton alone, as is. I'm assuming that it's a pretty stiff uniform hat and probably of mediocre felt quality at best. Your old Stetson, however, is a different story if it needs a new sweat. So, in my opinion, Stratton no. Stetson yes. But, that's just me.

It's definitely stiff.

JC Motors

New in Town
It's been a long time since I was last on here. Recently acquired a Stratton F38 Trooper style hat. It has a leather sweatband unlike my F42 which has a cloth one. The F38 isn't as comfortable as the F42. They are both size 7. The bow on the inside of the F38's Sweatband is coming off. I know that Stratton renovates their felts. Would they be able to
100_5473.JPG
replace the leather sweatband with a cloth one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk