Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

collars up or down?

minus_273

New in Town
ive noticed people wearing trech coats and over coats with their collars up and i've also seen people wearing them with the collars folded down. Now personally i have it folded down. Is this a difference in style or is it a difference in the actual coats themselves? Looking at my wool coat, it really doesnt seem like it is supposed to have the collar up..

I've found myself going out in the morning with an overcoat without a scarf because it's relatively warm (above 0 celcius). There the collar is down. By the time i leave the lab at night a north wind is a'blowin and i've got no scarf. For practical reasons collar up is good in this situation. It at least covers the bottom of my ears ...

bk

A good over coat or trench coat usually is designed for option of collar up for greater protection. When it's cold, windy and or rainy, a turned up collar affords greater protection and comfort. Actuall as a fashion statement youcan play with the collar to find a good in between, kind of an up but the top or outer most edge curled back a bit. When done right it can look good with a trenchcoat. Where's my old London Fog?

I am sure Bogey has some scenes with collar up while in detective mode.

RumblePen

New in Town
I so wanted to wear my new trench with the collar up. I had found the perfect coat. Double gun flaps, back cape, nice lapels, but the collar is a bit large. When I wear it up I look like some kind of Dracula wannabe instead of the 40's-50's B-movie noir wannabe I want to be.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I fiddle with the 'half up, half down' look. Works on my trench coat, and on my good A-2. The key is to get the collar points to lay down and have the very back of the collar stand up.

The cold weather point is a good one. A good trenchcoat will completely cover your neck and the lower half of your face when properly buttoned up. Add a scarf and a good fedora, some long johns, thick trousers and galoshes, you'll be set for most cold or inclement weather.

DB suit jacket with the collar up gives an excellent cagney look. Honestly he does have his collar up in this image:

publicenemy_200.jpg

Or one with the overcoat collar half up:

James%20Cagney.jpg

bk

matei

One Too Many
I wear my collar depending on the prevailing weather. Most of the time it is down, unless it is really ugly out.

While not a trench, I used to wear the collar on my M-65 field jacket up (like most people)... until I joined the army.

Getting caught out by the drill seargent ("who do you think you are, Elvis? Drop and start pushing!") broke me of the habit fast. Even today I'll still wear the collar down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats