Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collars

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Collar Bars-

Sorry to speak to the contrary but-
They're Collar Bars, not tie bars, I believe.
The Zoot Suit store sells them, as do many high end Menswear shops.

The ones that go inside the collar points are Collar Stays, as far as I'm aware.

B
T

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
They are called collar bars when they clip on to each side of the collar. They're called collar pins when they have to be pinned on to the collar, or screwed into place at eyelet holes prefabricated in the collar.

Collar pins held sway from the 1910s to about 1930. After 1930, collar bars became much more popular. In the 1950s and very early '60s, collar pins (the pin-on and the screw-on kinds) experienced a resurgence, until tab collars made them superfluous. Then, in the mid-1980s, collar bars and pins returned yet again ... only to be swept away (again!) by tab collars a few years later (the early '90s).

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yep, collar bars! Tie bar is the thing that clips to the tie to keep it down from flapping in the wind.lol

You know, I find collar bars (vintage ones) way better looking then the diaper pins they try and pass off as collar bars today... the old ones are sleek, streamlined and unique... I find them at thrift shops in the men's jewelry case and also antique shops... they run no more then a few bucks!

=WR=

JW

New in Town
Great information! It's just what I was looking for. Thanks to BellyTank for directing me to this thread. I have a couple questions:

Marc Chevalier said:
They are called collar bars when they clip on to each side of the collar. They're called collar pins when they have to be pinned on to the collar, or screwed into place at eyelet holes prefabricated in the collar.

Collar pins held sway from the 1910s to about 1930. After 1930, collar bars became much more popular. . .

Do you have any pictures of the "collar pins" vs the "collar bars" of these eras? That way I will be able to make the distinction myself.

Wild Root said:
Yep, collar bars! Tie bar is the thing that clips to the tie to keep it down from flapping in the wind.lol

You know, I find collar bars (vintage ones) way better looking then the diaper pins they try and pass off as collar bars today... the old ones are sleek, streamlined and unique...

Do you have any pictures of the type of collar bars that you prefer? Namely the "sleek, streamlined" ones? Also, do you have an example of a matching tie bar?

Thanks for your help. I'm glad I found people who know their stuff - This lounge has become my favorite hangout. After a few months of just reading it, I'm glad I finally started asking questions and tapping into all this information. I've definately received a warm welcome - a rare thing these days.

JW

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
JW said:
Do you have any pictures of the "collar pins" vs the "collar bars" of these eras? That way I will be able to make the distinction myself.

Most collar pins look a lot like safety pins, except that they're made of gold, silver, brass, or are nickel-plated. Click on:

http://www.highlandpark.com/x4/CuffLinks/ch_FP5012FF2115G225_Collar_Pin_Gold_Plate_highlandpark.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-COLLAR-...itemZ8924732587QQcategoryZ60115QQcmdZViewItem

In the middle of the photo below, you can see two collar bars (gold and silver) that clip on to the shirt's collar flaps. Click on:

http://www.goldmoneyclips.us/Gold_Cuff_Links/g10w.htm

Below is a collar BAR whose ends unscrew. To put this on, your collar has to have eyelets. Click on:

http://www.highlandpark.com/x4/Eleg...Gold_Collar_Pin_Round_1_78_i_highlandpark.htm

And here you can see a very early collar bar in action. Note the eyelet holes in the collar itself:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VERY-UNUSUAL-19...ryZ52383QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And here is a vintage collar bar / tie chain set:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Goldtone-Tie-Cha...itemZ8925018555QQcategoryZ10298QQcmdZViewItem

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Here are various views of vintage 1930s and '40s clip-on collar bars:

4d_1_b.jpg

7f_1_b.jpg

1c_1_b.jpg

9c_1_b.jpg

JW

New in Town
Thanks for the pics and links Marc.

On the way home from lunch today, I stumbled on one of the few local antique shops that I've never been in, so I went in and found these. Since I didn't see your pictures yet, I think I may have just lucked out, since no skill or knowledge went into choosing them - I happened to grab the right thing.

collarbarzoom0pj.jpg

collarbarzoom21gr.jpg

JW

New in Town
ArrowCollarMan said:
Hey, thats cool! I wonder if they sell them at the thrift store down my way? But I have one concern: do they in anyway make the collar tighter? It looks like it might choke you a bit.

These particular ones don't make my collar any tighter, but thankfully, they DO prevent the collar from popping out over the vest - without them, the collar lines up just right with the vest where the points try to come out over it.

Is it a common problem for the collar points to pop out over the vest?

Zach R.

Practically Family
Something has been bothering me the last few days, is it overkill to wear both a collar bar and a tie bar? So that not only does the collar bar make the tie protrude so that it is more prominent and eye-catching, but the bar keeps it from flapping around in the wind?

JW

New in Town
Matt Deckard said:
I like collar bars... though the buttodown combo... hmmm no!

I do like Cary Grant's Buttondown and French cuff combo.

Nowadays I'm starting to lean more toward the round collar with beer and a cell phone.

690787254_l.jpg

That is a great picture. Where was that picture taken?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran