Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College wardrobe

volatile

A-List Customer
PADDY said:
Where can you find this stuff? (please :) )...Thanks.

I have both those sweaters - the yellow and the burgundy one. The yellow one was scored from ebay, the burgundy from periodic sales on Gilt.com. Both BNWT, and both massively cheaper than retail.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I wear all kinds of outfits to Uni, but this is the one I think of as being the most 'academic' in character:

DSC00134.jpg

Not in the photo but usually on my person are my pipe and either monocle or pince nez. I now have a green pointed bowtie which I think would go well with this, too.

Don_Tuccinini

New in Town
agreed

I think your list is great. But i have a suggestion for the athlete, i would keep it modern. Even though you don't want to dress it, modern clothing and shoes will ensure safety and comfort. Old style running shoes are not always the best for your lower back, and new materials used today allow you to breathe while you sweat. But besides that I'd say bravo. you truly are a genius. :eusa_clap

B. Kleinsteuber

New in Town
I just finished my first year of University. Items in my wardrobe included:

3 Suits (2 three piece)
7-8 Sports Coats
5 dress pants
1 pair black dress shoes
1 pair brown dress boots (good for wearing with blue jeans)
2 Fedoras (black and gray)
1 Straw Boater
1 Cap
1 Porkpie Hat
3 Scarfs
30 Ties (Maybe a bit much [huh] )
4 or more Sweaters

Geesie

Practically Family
Don_Tuccinini said:
I think your list is great. But i have a suggestion for the athlete, i would keep it modern. Even though you don't want to dress it, modern clothing and shoes will ensure safety and comfort. Old style running shoes are not always the best for your lower back, and new materials used today allow you to breathe while you sweat. But besides that I'd say bravo. you truly are a genius. :eusa_clap

Modern running shoes are a must, but I must say that I still feel great in cheap cotton workout clothes. I much prefer to use old t-shirts rather than spend $15 on new synthetic clothes.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Geesie said:
but I must say that I still feel great in cheap cotton workout clothes. I much prefer to use old t-shirts rather than spend $15 on new synthetic clothes.
But...but....cotton kills.....:eek:

But seriously, cotton is fine until it gets wet and then it's a drag. Remember back in the day when tennis players would change their (cotton) shirts during matches; you don't see that anymore.......

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I just want to give you all a round of applause :eusa_clap when I was in college, mind you I went to an all women's college, I gave into the tossing my hair on top of my head wearing jeans, flip flops or gym shoes, with a t-shirt. If it was cold I would wear a sweatshirt and run from building to building, and if it was warm I would wear athletic shorts. It was not my proudest fashion time, but I still dressed well when I was actually leaving campus. I think the grungy college student look is something that the kids who live on campus indulge in.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I attend a community college, and I'm currently out for the summer, but last semester, this was my typical ensemble:

Pants:
Blue jeans
Grey chinos
Light khaki, almost white chinos

Shirts:
Blue oxford shirt
White dress shirt
Three or four short-sleeve button up shirts, all with patterns
Two polo shirts

Jackets:

Cotton B-15 bomber jacket (is a bit large now, but I still wear it)

Hats:
Federation IV (Dark Brown wore this about two or three times a month)
Cheap faux-Panama hat (Wore it only once or twice on warm days)

All of the pants I wore then are now too large for me due to weight loss; I have dropped several waist sizes since then, although I have at least one pair of Levi's (505 rigid) and a Land's End khaki chino pant, both recently bought within the last month. I'll be adding another non-denim pant to my wardrobe soon, before classes start up again. As for hats, well, for my birthday I'll try to order at least one fedora, two if I can get away with it, or alternately a sport coat or suit instead.

I suppose my wardrobe might be described as limited, almost spartan, but still growing as I am just about at my weight loss goal.

bobmarco

New in Town
looking through this thread reminds me.. i gotta go out and get a new bag! the military bags looked pretty cool.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
bobmarco said:
looking through this thread reminds me.. i gotta go out and get a new bag! the military bags looked pretty cool.

Also reminds me; I should probably figure out what to replace my red Jansport backpack with, eventually. Of the nearly five years I've used it, it's not only starting to show a bit of wear and tear, but I also believe that it would look pretty out of place with even just a sport coat. Now this is where something leather might come in well. I'm currently thinking some sort of briefcase or weekend bag, any opinions? I'm not particularly sure about messenger bags. It is almost as if using one is also a fashion statement these days, not to mention the derogatory nickname of "murse."

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
My wardrobe:

8 white oxford or dress shirts (one formal)
four other shirts.
Two suits
One Dinner Jacket (for performing)
One set Concert Blacks
Linen jacket
*Tweed for once it gets cool
Three odd vests.

three pairs of slacks
Four pairs of casual trousers
Two pair jeans

brown shoes
black shoes
boots
One raggety pair of chuck tailors

One fedora
*One homburg
Linen cap
Several scarves, light and heavy (two pashmina)
Ties, bowties, and ascots.

Bathrobe
Dressing gown

Pea coat
Overcoat (more formal, also warmer)

6 sweaters (two cardigan)
2 sweater vests (one patterned)

*Forgotten at home, soon to be retrieved.

I think this is everything.

DesertDan

One Too Many
When I went back to school (nightschool) I eschewed the ubiquitous backpack for a simple briefcase as I hated the way the backpack always trashed my papers. Once I finally aquired a laptop and the bag that went with it I blended in a little better. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy