Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cologne and perfume

Flieger

Practically Family
Does anyone have a suggestion on a sandlewood a/s or cologne that isn't overly sweet?

My dad used a sandlewood a/s in the 70ies and I remember how much I loved that scent. I have tried to locate "pure" sandlewood colognes here in Sweden but I can't find a single place that carries anything but designer colognes.

Cheers,
/F

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
Flieger - I don't think you'll have much luck finding a pure sandalwood cologne unless you part with a lot of money (which may ultimately go to questionable people) as it's on the CITES endangered list. There don't seem to be many of the trees left. It's the same with Rosewood. I don't know if there's a reasonable substitute.

Have you tried the Burberry cologne (I think the one just called "Burberry")? It might be worth a try, as I remember the original, way back when I was in High School, had a really nice sandalwood smell. (I would "borrow" my dad's, since HS kids can't afford things like that, but he switched to Halston, which didn't work for me).

Back to the general topic--on someone very special's recommendation, I've been using Bulgari Aqua. I really like it.

celtic

A-List Customer
Currently in the stable:
Chanel -Pour Monsieur
Givenchy - Pi
Jean Paul Gaultier - GAULTIER²
Jack Black Liquid Magnetism - Signature Blue Mark
Lucky - No. 6
Old Spice - OS Signature
Pinaud - Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
Ralph Lauren - Polo Double Black

I used to love DK Men but it hasn't been made in years. :(

Randy

Familiar Face
I have been working on my own after shave, based on some pretty useful books on making various types of after shave, cologne, etc. I find that making my own allows me to get what I want, and know what I'm putting on my face, without a lot of expense trying different things that are close to what I want. It's a trial and error kind of thing, but the results have been positive so far.

- Randy

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
In Summer I wear Guerlaines "Vetiver"

l_2174674857d0e4ee71d5846d6dcc68d4.jpg

and for Winter Guerlain's "Habit Rouge"

habit_rouge1.jpg

l_5582d90d3a635d6f59eeeaf5c1423016.jpg

Wonderfull poster for "Vol De NuiT"

Vol-de-nuit-ad-elise-darcy.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Creed used to have a shop in Manhattan where one could mix and match from their array of scents to create personalized perfumes, colognes and aftershaves.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
'Satyr' by Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs.

musky/earthy without being overpowering. i'm not big on scents myself, but my wife got it for me. every woman that's smelled it loved it.

i still remember the smell of my grandfather's morning ritual: Barbasol, Vitalis and Aqua Velva. means "get up and go" to me more than the smell of bacon frying.

wayter1

New in Town
Flieger said:
Does anyone have a suggestion on a sandlewood a/s or cologne that isn't overly sweet?

My dad used a sandlewood a/s in the 70ies and I remember how much I loved that scent. I have tried to locate "pure" sandlewood colognes here in Sweden but I can't find a single place that carries anything but designer colognes.

Cheers,
/F

have you by any chance tried Evelyn & Crabtree's Mysore Sandalwood cologne? one of those "a little goes a long way" scents, but not cloyingly sweet
here's a link http://store.crabtree-evelyn.com/mens-eau-de-toilette-san217000.html

Lenore

Practically Family
CopperNY said:
'Satyr' by Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs.

musky/earthy without being overpowering. i'm not big on scents myself, but my wife got it for me. every woman that's smelled it loved it.

i still remember the smell of my grandfather's morning ritual: Barbasol, Vitalis and Aqua Velva. means "get up and go" to me more than the smell of bacon frying.

Yay! Another BPAL person! My current favorite is Blood Rose.

When I'm not wearing that I drift between Shalimar EDP, No. 5 and Burberry London.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails