Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

COLOR CODE

Don_Tuccinini

New in Town
Popular to contrary belief all hats do not have to match your outfit. For women back then yes. It was extremely necessary but for men it very acceptable to not coordinate hats. For example really the only color you'd have to coordinate with was white. But any other color or pattern could be mixed or matched. so post your thought on the matter. Thanks

Sorry for no pictures i currently do not have an operating camera. :eek:

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge! Your question is one that has been discussed at great length in many threads. I'm sure others will weigh in again shortly. Meanwhile, do you know how to use the Lounge advanced search function? By searching for threads on color you will be able to find many many ideas and pictures relating to this topic. Again, welcome aboard ... ;)

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree with you in that you do not have to match hats with outfits as a requirement for wearing them...but I'd be hard-pressed to deny that certain color hats agree with/harmonize with/look better with some color outfits as opposed to others.

Your sense of style is exactly that...yours. If anyone dares to point out a flaw in my style, especially in a negative tone, I find it only fair to do the same to them.

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Don_Tuccinini said:
For example really the only color you'd have to coordinate with was white. But any other color or pattern could be mixed or matched.

[sucks air through teeth] If you believe this, you're on a hiding to sartorial disaster.

Sure, there are things that work, perhaps unexpectedly. But there are combinations - many, many combinations - that will look dreadful together. Just ask the Duke of Windsor, who was known for pushing the boat out in terms of colour and pattern mixes. Some pics of him in his later years, his outfits are just horrid. Poor old chap, his eyes were going, but you'd think his man would let him know.

bk

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Don't even get me started about the outfit choices of the Duke of Windsor. lol lol But seriously, when you you don't encounter any other fedora wearers in the wild it allows us to try things that others think may not 'work' since a fedora is seen as an oddity by others anyway.

danofarlington

zetwal said:
Welcome to the Lounge! Your question is one that has been discussed at great length in many threads. I'm sure others will weigh in again shortly. Meanwhile, do you know how to use the Lounge advanced search function? By searching for threads on color you will be able to find many many ideas and pictures relating to this topic. Again, welcome aboard ... ;)
Luckily, everybody agrees on what constitutes good color combinations, so once you know one opinion, you know them all!

Unca Dusty

Familiar Face
Well, even though I don't step outside the house without a hat (funny how that very conservative action is nowadays somehow a stylistic statement) I do try to wear an appropriate hat. It doesn't have to match my clothes, but it shouldn't distract from or diminish the whole effect either. What I view as appropriate is probably "safer" than what a lot of other, more sartorially adept people would do.
I guess my point is, I don't think anyone puts on just any hat unless they only have one hat (and then I hope their wardrobe and hat are both neutral...);everyone has a personal sense of style, why else care about a hat in this day and age?

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
Even with my limited collection of vintage fedoras (3 and all in brown or a variation of brown) I have been plesantly surprised with how well these "old brown" hats seem to match virtually anything I wear. Granted,I`m no fashion plate but I feel my vintage fedoras compliment (or at least don`t clash with!) whatever I am wearing. Quite a plesant surprise as I had always thought that only the black,navy blue or grey-colored hats would be versatile. Even though my 3 fedoras are all technically "brown" there are subtle shade differences: one is reddish,one is greenish and the other is straight brown.

HMH

1961MJS

Hi

I'm betting I can get through most of the fall and winter with my new black fedora, and a brown one (don't currently own one). Black matches black (duh), navy, and gray. Brown matches Brown (again duh), Khaki, and most greens. I only own two colors of dress socks, tan and black also. Keeps things simple.

While is it theoretically possible to produce an offensive outfit using this color scheme, it does require some planning and experimentation. lol

Later

tnitz

New in Town
Outerwear

I usually matched my hats to my outerwear which kept it simple. Today I do color coordinate. But for what it's worth:

Tan London Fog trench coat and silverbelly fedora
Dark Grey or Black or Navy Woolen overcoat and black homburg (or other)
A white panama for summer wear

I don't wear any of those today, but when I dressed for work and wore a hat, that's what I did.

Sadly, and quite humorously, today is a different story. I just got a bluegrass green Camp Draft which will match my fishing jacket perfectly. A new, color coordinated fishing hat - my Grandpa would have a fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael