Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Color for First Fedora

Lawman

One of the Regulars
Guys, I just received my conformer from Art, and now it is time to select a color. This is my first fedora. I wear mostly grey suits. My initial thought was to go with the "granite" color, but the others are so beautiful.

Any thoughts? The "powder blue", steel mist, dark moss and light sage are really talking to me!

Thanks.

Mark

Lawman said:
Guys, I just received my conformer from Art, and now it is time to select a color. This is my first fedora. I wear mostly grey suits. My initial thought was to go with the "granite" color, but the others are so beautiful.

Any thoughts? The "powder blue", steel mist, dark moss and light sage are really talking to me!

Thanks.

Mark

Steel mist sounds like a great color but maybe it is just the name I am attracted to. :D It sounds strong and tough. I would go with Steel Mist if it were me.

Regards,

J

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
Lawman said:
I wear mostly grey suits. My initial thought was to go with the "granite" color...

Hi, Lawman. I have a hat from Art in the Granite, and it is indeed beautiful. Steel Mist sounds great too. Since you wear mostly gray suits, however, you might give some thought to a contrasting color or tone. In an earlier post, someone pointed out correctly that it is better not to get suit and hat colors too close--unless it is an exact match, it will appear that you tried to match them but missed. Just a thought.

Lawman

One of the Regulars
Great thought, Cruiser. That powder blue (light greyish blue) might be a nice foil to the darkish suits. The sage (a greyish green) might also work well.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Lawman, I'm staying out of this decision for the moment but there have been some questions on your misquote of the color "steel mist". Not to cloud things further, but I received my NEW color that is similar to the old blue/grey Stetson color. It's called blue smoke & I'm really excited about it. Had it dyed for me especially. Can send pics soon if you'd like. I've been working on a new prototype Limited Edition called "Route 66" with this color THIS one is really special.

Lawman

One of the Regulars
Art, I 'd love to see that new color. Wow, what a difficult decision.

Just for a few laughs, I was in my office with the conformer over my head, dutifully tightening the wing nuts when I heard a gasp from my doorway. My secretary had stepped in, and as you might imagine, had absolutely no idea what kind of madness I was up to.

I am beginning to think that the rust might be a good color to pair with grey and charcoal suits.

Mark

Russ

One of the Regulars
That conformer

Could someone post a photo of Art's conformer? When I ordered my hat we decided to bypass that stage (mailing the conformer to the customer who then mails it back) since I live on the other side of the world and already had accurate measurements for my head. So I'm curious what this mysterious contraption looks like.

Art Fawcett said:
Lawman, I'm staying out of this decision for the moment but there have been some questions on your misquote of the color "steel mist". Not to cloud things further, but I received my NEW color that is similar to the old blue/grey Stetson color. It's called blue smoke & I'm really excited about it. Had it dyed for me especially. Can send pics soon if you'd like. I've been working on a new prototype Limited Edition called "Route 66" with this color THIS one is really special.

Oh geez! The blue/gray Stetson color. You're killing me. Any pictures?
Route 66!? Is it red? :p ;)

Regards,

J

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
So many choices...

Lawman said:

Thanks.

Mark

Have Art send you some felt samples.... I love his Silver Mist its like a Dove Grey color...

ledsled

One of the Regulars
Eye color

Zero fashion knowledge will depart from my mouth, as I am here to learn. I'll share a recent comment a woman made, however.

I was wearing a shirt that apparently complimented my eye color. After she mentioned that to me, I went and looked in a mirror and sure enough, my eyes seemed more intense than usual. You might consider getting a color that compliments your eye color. I never thought about that before!

Sharpetoys: When you mention the dove gray color, all I can think about is the color that Chrysler used in the 1940's. I think Harry Truman liked his cars that color.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner