Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Color Photo's from the 30's and 40's

C

csmiller

Hi all,

Just found this site on the Library of Congress's web site. They have put out in cyberspace 1615 (as of this time) color photos from the 30's and 40's. Here is what they say about the pictures:

"These vivid color photos from the Great Depression and World War II capture an era generally seen only in black-and-white. Photographers working for the United States Farm Security Administration (FSA) and later the Office of War Information (OWI) created the images between 1939 and 1944."

and here is the web site

http://www.flickr.com/photos/library_of_congress/sets/72157603671370361/

Maybe not as many of people as you would like, but they are COLOR. :D Enjoy.

Craig

clubwitsend

Practically Family
Thanks for the link! I would also add that I posted a thread about Madame Yevonde's portraiture...she did MUCH to further the art of color photography, and truly helped to legitimize it...
http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=45168

120.jpg

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Thank you for the website! Those were very interesting photos. I especially enjoyed seeing the various military and western United States photos.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Especially enjoy the hyperfocused comments from aviation buffs.

I myself posted links here to the B-17 pix awhile back - noting that these were the first dozen taken by the Air Corps in 1937, and still serving in '42 as coastal ASW patrol ships.

Note also the comments from old Marines about how unsquared away that major looks. lol

Rola

New in Town
Thanks, this is a fantastic resource! (yes, another aviation buff, but I enjoyed some trainspotting, too!)

FraeuleinBerlin

One of the Regulars
I know it's divvy of me, but I always find it really hard to imagine anything before the fifties taking place in colour! When I go antique dress hunting what strikes me is how COLOURFUL everything is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff