Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Color Schemes

DocBob345

Familiar Face
I'm certain that Mr. Deckard has addressed this topic at some point in the past but I've been unable to find anything in the "search".

I'm wondering if there are any rules of thumb when it comes to matching hat colors to clothing/coats, etc. I usually try to match my hat somewhat closely to a jacket. (Black to black, brown to brown...)

I've noticed that many of Matt's pictures have thrown that out the window in favor of some contrast, and the effect is very sharp.

Any help out there with favorite color cominations or anything like that? Any thoughts, gentlemen?

Best,
Robert

BigDawgBarkin

New in Town
I've been wondering this too. So far it hasn't been too much of a problem for me since I don't have that many hats. My method is to match the hat to whatever article of clothing I'll be wearing most while I have on a hat. For example, if I'll be outside and wearing a jacket or coat I'll match the hat with the coat (usually this ends up matching or coordinating what I'm wearing beneath the coat as well but not always). If I'm going somewhere and the coat will be coming off I'll match the hat to the suit or whatever I'm wearing beneath the coat (provided I'm in a location that still permits me keeping a hat on in accordance with manners).

BDB

RedPop4

One Too Many
Each day's clothing and outerwear stand on their own.
I won't wear a brown hat with a dark blue or black suit, or a light color shirt and blue dress pants. I'll wear a black or gray hat.

If I'm wearing a blue shirt with khaki pants, it's definitely a flip of the coin or I ask my son which hat looks better.

With blue jeans, funny enough, I have no problem with a brown hat.

DocBob345

Familiar Face
See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. I've always thought that a brown hat goes with just about anything but black. I'm just curious as to some of the combinations that other Loungers go with.

Thanks, gents!

Best,
Robert

Who?

Practically Family
I was always of the opinion that silverbelly would go with anything, black with almost everything. Other than that, I am eagerly awaiting more posts on the subject.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I've heard that the unofficial rule of thumb (unless one was a hat fanatic on the scale of Loungers and had a hat to mach all of one's suits) in the golden era was to match the hat to one's overcoat(s).

I tend to have an earth tones / sky tones pallette. Greens, browns, and tans; Grays, blacks and blues. Rust / pinks are somewhat crossovers.

Brown can work with blue, it's dependant on the shades, and how one sets it off with ties, shoes, other acoutrements. I tend to go for an overall color with some subtle contrasts.

Mr Maltby

One of the Regulars
There are exceptions to this, and big gaping holes in it which im sure some people around here will leap on.. but as a general rule, you can basically match the hat to clothing, the same way you would match your shoes to your clothing. Colors for your average pair of shoes are more limited, but its the same idea. Its a color game, chum.

DocBob345

Familiar Face
Thank you lads!

This is exactly the conversation I was hoping for. To not only hear what everyone thought about the colors in general, but what their particular palates were.

I appreciate the openness from everyone.

I'm mostly a brown-type guy myself. I tend to stay with earth tones. I seldom go with blue, mostly black when I stray from the earthy stuff. But I plan to get into blue now, once I have the proper hat!

Best,
Robert

Russ

One of the Regulars
I used to take pains to match my hat colors with my clothes, but now I tend to lean the other way, purposely contrasting them. And if you are trying for a casual look, brown does seem to go with practically everything, even black.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
I have 8 fedoras I use regularly. 4 are shades of brown (from dark to very light, with one medium-brown hemp straw). 2 are blue (one dark, one a little lighter). 2 are gray/silver (one straw porkpie, one dark-gray beautiful 1" stingy brim).

I tend toward brown and blue in all my attire. I have a dark, dark brown custom fitted suit. I have a teale blue fitted sports coat. I have a camel cashmere custom top coat. I don't really have many choices; I'd rather have things that really fit and that I really like than have lots of options which include some choices I don't love. I have a pair of dark-brown fitted Otabo oxfords; both my dress shoes are dark brown. (I am concerned that I'd love to get a pair of wingtip spectators but want at least one of the colors in them to be blue...eek, what will they go with?)

My custom stingy from Art is in deep dark blue; I've found it goes excellently with my light-brownish top coat. In general I don't think all that hard about matching my hat to my attire. If I put on something offensively ugly, I know I'd hear about it right quick from my girl.

D

dzacca

What about my brow Fed DL with this medium gray suit?

In the next two days I'll be in a civil court, I was wondering what could be better with my gray suit. The gray melegari or the brow Fed DL?

here the photos of the melegari where you can also see the gray suit:

melegari2.jpg

melegari3.jpg

here a shot of the Fed DL:

10.jpg

and the other shots of the Fed:

FedDL/

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
dzacca said:
In the next two days I'll be in a civil court, I was wondering what could be better with my gray suit. The gray melegari or the brow Fed DL?...(snip)
With that suit, I'd say definitely the gray hat, though the brown one wouldn't look bad I don't think.

dzacca said:
In the next two days I'll be in a civil court, I was wondering what could be better with my gray suit. The gray melegari or the brow Fed DL?

here the photos of the melegari where you can also see the gray suit:

melegari2.jpg

melegari3.jpg

here a shot of the Fed DL:

10.jpg

and the other shots of the Fed:

FedDL/

The pictures aren't working but I can tell you without them---the gray Melegari with the gray suit. ;)

Regards,

J

metropd

One Too Many
great hats, your a thinner guy like me and the wide gap on the grey fedora between the pinch usually doesn't help us guys with slender faces. I would suggest creating a tighter pinch in the front not an indy pinch but a bigger front and center pinch to accent you facial features plus it gives alot more of that classics 20's-40's look. Just a suggestion. by the way go with the gray one for sure.

D

dzacca

Hi metropd,

You're probably right... I'll try to create a tighter pinch on the melegari, I'll probably need some steam... The Fed is very easy to bash and keed the shape with no problem, but the melegari is softer and was pre-bashed.

I'll let you know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails