Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Combining seperates

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How do you combine seperates or which trousers are the best for which sport coats? Is there a rule that only one of the two should have a pattern?
What would be the most versatile kind of trousers for such combinations?
Maybe flannels and light linen for summer? (I only know this for a blazer...different topic I think)

I know it is a general question that comes up from time to time for special combinations. I would love to see as many combinations and examples as possible. I want to go for a golden era look.

Here are the old threads that I found on that topic:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=45899
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=42645
http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=53691
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=53421

Here are some pictures I found while browsing the "big sticky" threads and other pages...I hope you don't midn if I re-use them.

af97f316c1ec6800_landing

raftnormandieu884073inp.jpg

42suits1.jpg

montgomeryward1943c.jpg

Here is some more:
http://img297.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=youthdancing30s.jpg

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
I combine alot...

I only have two suit sets and I save those for formal occasions. I usually go light jacket/dark trouser occasionally but more often go classic dark jacket/light trousers. I think it's more of an eye for matching thing more than anything else. I got a lot of combo ideas from the "The Jeeves and Wooster" DVD sets. Hugh Laurie's clothing is fantastic and consist of a lot of checks and plaids.

Jerry

Flat Foot Floey

Same here. Often there are no trousers or they are too short and can't be altered.
I just want to find out the difference between combining things just out of the need and a set that is put together with style.

What do you think of herringbone trousers? I love herringbone but couldn't find a suit. What would match them? Light grey or dark grey herringbone?

Some cool winter outfits here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XQybKMXL-k&feature=related

Undertow

Two pair of the infinitely versatile trousers would be gray wool with black and blue check, and gray wool with black and brown check. You can match those to nearly any tweed jacket, and very many solid jackets. They also offer an excellent contrast between darker colors.

1930sEsquire133.jpg

1930sEsquire063.jpg

1930sEsquire080-1.jpg

These are just a few images with relatively plain pants, but you can see the color contrast and I'm sure you can imagine how a subdued check would look.

Flat Foot Floey

So you would combine checked trousers with checked sportcoats if there is enough contrast in the color?
....I know tweed often has a lot of shades (and flecks) in it. Maybe the pattern in the trousers just have to be a little calmer and everything is alright.

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
I go solid and pattern..

To be on the safe side, I tend to pair a solid with a pattern to prevent it all from becoming to busy.
Example: A dark brown jacket with a light yellow/brown tweed or a light black/white check with midnight blue/black trousers.
Viel Gluck,
Jerry

Flat Foot Floey

Thank you.:)

I want to ask again for the herringbone. Do you think it is rather versatile or hard to handle?

I wanted to have slacks made from the second sample.
samplesw.jpg

jswindle2

One of the Regulars
I like the look but...

Flat Foot Floey said:
Thank you.:)

I want to ask again for the herringbone. Do you think it is rather versatile or hard to handle?

I wanted to have slacks made from the second sample.
samplesw.jpg

I think it would be easier as a jacket. However, I still think it would work well with greys and other dark jackets.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
It has been a while since I looked at some of those vintage ad photos. I really like the reddish brown coat over grey slacks and black and white wing tips... I'm going to keep an eye peeled for a coat like that.

As far as matching goes, I stay with the darker jacket / lighter slacks racket. Maybe someday I will venture over to the other side of the street, but not right now.

We shoudl combine this, the pinstripe sport coat and the show us your sportcoats thread into a gargantuan thread of epic... epicness.

Just a thought.

Ed13

Familiar Face
Grey trousers seem to be the most versatile. I wear sports jackets more often than suits and have a few shades of grey for odd trousers. The next most worn trousers are brown. I prefer darker shades for winter and lighter shades for summer. In the summer I also like light blues for trousers.

For winter I prefer flannel and cavalry twill in heavy weights. Linen is great for summer as long as you are OK with the rumpled look.

I find mixing patterns with jackets and trousers to be very difficult. It seems too easy for the outfit to look odd or just plain clownish. I only feel comfortable trying this with very countrified, heavy tweeds. Otherwise, I only wear patterned trousers with sweaters or cardigans.

Flat Foot Floey

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

Three years ago and I am still wearing seperates more often than suits. Making my problem of finding full suits looking like a style choice. :cool:

Here is a nice picture from a german magazine "Elegante Welt 1937"

tumblr_mqidotFujt1r5rhsmo1_1280.jpg

Attachments

• tumblr_mqidotFujt1r5rhsmo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_mqidotFujt1r5rhsmo1_1280.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

carldelo

One Too Many
I'm in the sport coat mode these days also, as I wear a jacket and tie every day to teach. There's a lot more combinations among 10 jackets and 10 trousers than with 10 suits. Lately I've reserved suits for evening events, dancing, art shows, etc. (and I don't actually have 10 of them).

Metatron

One Too Many
Separates also look less 'weird' to 'normal' people ;), and after all, if I wore a suit on a day to day basis I wouldn't have any way to 'top' it on a special occasion.

I love that illustration FFF, casual, stylish and pretty timeless looks except for the plus fours!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24