Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comfortable and healthier high heels

crwritt

One Too Many

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Etienne said:
OWWWWW
I grew up wearing high heels (almost all day)--though 3 1/2" was my max!! But I have paid the price for my vanity and conformity to the ideals of the times; I just had my second back fusion and will have a third surgery (on my cervical spine) in April. The extreme misalignment that wearing such shoes causes the back muscles and vertebrae to experience produces enormous pressure. Eventually, the body wins out and screams for help! I now have 8 screws and rods in my lumber spine, cadaver implants, and a lot less flexibility. It also adversely affects posture where the head and neck are concerned, as I can attest to. Yes, I am older than a lot of you! (We were not even allowed to wear pants to football games when I was in private high school! We wore high heels and skirts to climb the bleachers!!) For me the damage is done, but I still welcome the technology that this article refers to. Women will always love to look fashionable and attractive and, if these help even one woman, they're worth it!

Golly Etienne, I had no idea you were going through all of this. I wish you well:) And hope that you are feeling good.

I know what it's like to not be able to wear shoes. I have three things working against me: Shin splints/old never fully healed stress fractures from playing semi-pro tennis for 17 years; incredibly flat feet; and Rheumatoid Arthritis. The RA causes swelling and pain in all the joints of my body. But, combined with the other two problems, I really can't wear heels. I have custom made orthodics, but they are just too bulky to put in any type of delicate shoe. When I spend any time walking, my feet swell, so by the end of the day my shoes are really tight. Also, having such flat feet, if I walk in heels all of the pressure goes to my big toe.
Anyway, I have tried sooo many different types of over the counter inserts. The only time I am actually comfortable is when I'm wearing a pair of boots, for I get much more support. I can wear wedges that are a little high, but not for long periods of time. I would love to be able to wear a pair of heels higher than 2 inches without crying in pain within 1/2 hour of wearing them. I have lucked out and found a few cute pairs of vintagey shoes from Naturalizer that aren't too bad. But, I'm gonna give these insoles a shot. A lot of my problem is that balance thing, if the insoles can do that, they might just make heels a bit more comfortable.

crwritt said:
I have a couple pair of these Insolia inserts I got a year or so ago. I tried them once or twice. They do make the high heels feel different, and I didn't necessarily find them more comfortable. Really, a shoe is either well balanced and well fitted, and therefore comfortable, or it just isn't.

Unless a shoe is custom made for your foot, it is never completely balanced and well fit. I have been told by an orthopedist that even if you haven't any problems with your feet, a woman should always add an extra insert, in particular a cushion insert, into all her shoes. This might actually save your hips and back from future damage, including mal-alignment. They also add as an extra shock absorber, which can minimize pain after wear for a few hours.
Wearing heels can be incredibly tough on a woman's body, even to those who can wear heels on a regular basis without too much pain.
I have 3 inch and higher heels, I practice walking around the condo in them in the hopes that if I keep wearing them, the pain will miraculously go away. That never happens:( Who knows, maybe these are the insoles that allow me to wear something a bit higher than 2 inches. That would be so great:)

jugband1

New in Town
I agree this sounds worth a shot. My band likes to dress up for shows sometimes and I always make the mistake of wearing super high heels on stage for 3-4 hours at a time....and then regretting it when I am almost crippled the next day...(but I looked great, right? ;) ) If this can decrease the pain....well worth it.

kate

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
Hope for the tall girl who never braved heels and now walks like an awkward duck because of the PAIN!!!!!!

WOOOOO! LIBERATION! *shakes fist violently*

(maybe that was out of line....:p)

crwritt

One Too Many
Unless a shoe is custom made for your foot, it is never completely balanced and well fit. I have been told by an orthopedist that even if you haven't any problems with your feet, a woman should always add an extra insert, in particular a cushion insert, into all her shoes. This might actually save your hips and back from future damage, including mal-alignment. They also add as an extra shock absorber, which can minimize pain after wear for a few hours.
Wearing heels can be incredibly tough on a woman's body, even to those who can wear heels on a regular basis without too much pain.
I have 3 inch and higher heels, I practice walking around the condo in them in the hopes that if I keep wearing them, the pain will miraculously go away. That never happens:( Who knows, maybe these are the insoles that allow me to wear something a bit higher than 2 inches. That would be so great:)[/QUOTE]

I am just saying I tried them. They are not really a cushioned insert, or an arch support, more of a thin molded plastic self adhesive thing you stick inside your shoe. They create sort of a mound just inside the arch of your foot. You might like them, who knows?

I have several pair of very well fitting comfortable high heel shoes which I can dance for hours in. I also have shoes that I do not wear because they are uncomfortable. These insoles did not really help with the uncomfortable ones.

If anyone would like to try them, email me. I have one spare pair of size 81/2-9 unused Insolia inserts. You can give your own review.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I just bought them this afternoon and they seem alright. I'm probably going to wear heels tonight, so we'll see. The shoes I'm using them in are Aerosoles, which are already nice shoes, but they still get painful to wear after awhile. I'll let you all know what I think after I wear them for a couple of hours!

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
Eleanor Marie said:
Ok ladies, how do we get them to the UK?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

I need something like this as I am still having difficulty coping with anything over 2" in height - years of wearing 'DocMartens' for years as a 'Goth' never taught me how to wear heels like other girls!

Looks like M&S stock them. The website only says selected stores though. See list

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
TheKitschGoth said:
Looks like M&S stock them. The website only says selected stores though. See list

I knew that brand name rang a bell - M&S stock actual shoes made by the Insolia brand. I must say I tried them on and didn't really notice a difference, but perhaps I didn't give them enough of a chance.

Eleanor Marie

One of the Regulars
Thanks

Thanks KG for that info - will have to try to get them............. Saw some lovely wedgie peep toe heels yesterday in M&S and will have to persuade hubby later for me to get some.......... won't hold my breath at the mo!

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
thebadmamajama said:
Hope for the tall girl who never braved heels and now walks like an awkward duck because of the PAIN!!!!!!

WOOOOO! LIBERATION! *shakes fist violently*

YESSS! I love heels so very much, but I tend to opt for flats more often because (although I don't believe I'm particularly tall) I find I tower over so many people when I do wear heels, even if they are only 2 inches or so.

And the PAIN! I was trying to train my feet for a while and wear ONLY heels. these will probably make things easier when I decide to go back into training again. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy