Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

COMPARING TWO DAVID D DONIGER A2s

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The no name contract A2, W535ac29971, which is believed to date from mid 1942 is the work of David D. Doniger. Earlier this week my near mint 29971 in an ample size 42 arrived from the States and I have taken some pictures of this jacket along with my size 42 Doniger from the 42-21539-P order. Some believe both jackets are from the same contract. However I remain unconvinced as there are some differences in the construction of both jackets which could suggest different contracts or of course variations within the same contract.

The no name Doniger is made from slightly lighter russet goatskin, which is a little thinner than the named Doniger, but this is normal variation found within many contracts. The collar on the no name jacket is less pointed than on the Doniger. The sleeves are inset on both, but this is less pronounced on the no name jacket as the photo shows. Furthermore the pocket flaps are narrower on the no name jacket. All the other characteristics are the same.

The photos are not brilliant as they were taken in doors in natural light.

Here's the CBI ATC no name jacket. It had two owners, the first being in the Airbourne as the outline of the patch is apparent in the lining behind the ATC leather patch. Both men treated it with respect as it is in almost perfect condition.

002-49.jpg

003-51.jpg

016-42.jpg

005-46.jpg

004-41.jpg

012-53.jpg

008-52.jpg

009-55.jpg

021-23.jpg

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Forgot to smile! But as the sun was out today for the first time for days I thought a couple of outside shots would give you an impression of the Doniger in daylight.

012-54.jpg

013-52.jpg

James Miller

One of the Regulars
True Jewels

Aswatland: Those are truly nice jackets. You always come up with some great vintage jacket. Thank you for sharing your knowlage and the pictures.
it gives the readers a close look at some wonderful history of WWII era Jackets.

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
Well done Andrew – Again :)

You have some incredible jackets as a result of all your patience and expert eye.

I think the Doniger is a lovely jacket – all the more special for being goatskin as this leather has a unique character all its own.

It is interesting to note that both Doniger and Spiewak who only had goatskin contracts both have a very pronounced collar which is very similar to each other.

Keep on buying as you have the knack for it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24