Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comparison of Type A-1 jackets (GW and ELC .50 Cal)

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I know what you mean. It's funny how you remove a feature like that and the whole look changes. I can't imagine why somebody would want a mod like that - must be a pre-Ken jacket, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't go for that.

That jacket has been on the sale page for a long time, before the management change. I wasn't sure if it was an abortion or just something different. But thinking of it just as a windcheater jacket it looked quite nice, and a good price. So I enquired about it and found out that it's nearly 27" long and with very long arms. No use to me.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Sooner you than me!

I know what you mean - I had to steel myself to tackle this several times before I went for it. I've messed about with a needle and thread/sewing machine (making shirts, spats etc. when I was younger), but nothing on this scale.

It also sometimes helps to be unaware of the full details of the construction (or the complexity might have dissuaded me from doing it).

On the other hand, had this jacket not been perfect for me (and I do mean 100%) in every other aspect - hide, fit, comfort, quality - then I'd probably have simply sold it on and looked for another, as I have done with many other A-1s.

Easy to say, but this one is truly a keeper.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
That jacket has been on the sale page for a long time, before the management change. I wasn't sure if it was an abortion or just something different. But thinking of it just as a windcheater jacket it looked quite nice, and a good price. So I enquired about it and found out that it's nearly 27" long and with very long arms. No use to me.

One for Fanch? :D;)

Edward

Bartender
Just because I thought this might be of interest to those who are, er, interested, I noticed Aero are doing this A-1 at an uber knock-down price. Unfortunately, not my size, otherwise... http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=1094

Interesting mix o styles... actually looks not dissimilar to the Spanish Civil War (civilian) jacket Marc Fishmoek (Superior Flight Apparel) made as one of his first jackets (and which I own). Nice alternative to something more overtly military.

Excellent review. Personally, I've always thought A-1s should only be made from cape or wool. I think the unique cut of the jacket requires it to be made of a material with a very loose drape, such as...well...cape or wool. But that's just my opinion. My cat, Maggie, thinks that capeskin is a most excellent material for use in almost any kind of jacket. When it comes to leather, she think it sleeps much better than horse or goat.

0214132050a_zps1a4cca7a.jpg

AF

Nice. My Greta is very fond of Aero's FQHH, while her sister Marlene is more a fan of an Irvin or B3's fleece if she can get inside one....

Dr H;1I'll be buying a 37J1B repro for warmer summers.[/QUOTE said:
0a59ed53e235845fd90334622358c4b5.jpg

I had to look that one up. Nice jacket! Does anyone produce a reasonably-priced copy, or are they only available at the crazy money prices from the Japanese companies?

I was thinking of an A1 jacket in goatskin. I know it's not historically correct, but some goatskins I've see are very nice.

A light goat is a great option. When looking for a Summer leather, I went for a Wested Raiders in goat. All the drape of the lamb, but with a little extra durability.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
0a59ed53e235845fd90334622358c4b5.jpg

I had to look that one up. Nice jacket! Does anyone produce a reasonably-priced copy, or are they only available at the crazy money prices from the Japanese companies?

Edward, I have to revise that statement - I had intended to buy the RMJP 37J1B (Zielinski), but I have found it impossible to find a 44 in Japan - with lots of searching/contact with the suppliers and manufacturer. I shall now have to go with the Buzz Rickson 37J1 - not as smart, but good nevertheless.

I had a reasonably priced Willis & Geiger (the NA-1) size 46 for sale recently (now sold). Not aware of any others.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Here's the BR version (of the 37J1, rather than the 37J1B - see the differences in collar/pockets, etc.).

img_127174_7693013_0_zps5b02d7f0.jpg

Not as neatly tailored (the 'best of the rest' IMO), but I've been trying to chase down a Zielinski in a 44 without success for a few weeks.

Last edited:

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Some additional shots wearing the .50cal A-1 following the collar surgery.

IMG_0976_zps64a8d1ef.jpg

IMG_0978_zpscdc015cb.jpg

IMG_0979_zpsd761cf4f.jpg

A quick comparison with some other 1920s/1930s buttoned jackets.
IMG_0972_zps9b98105d.jpg

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
If anybody is interested, I've just listed my fabulous Good Wear Leather capeskin A-1 in the classifieds section.

TypeA1_1920s.jpg

front_view.jpg

reverse_view.jpg

Gorgeous, comfortable and high quality jacket, but not getting the wear it deserves.

pauleway

Practically Family
If anybody is interested, I've just listed my fabulous Good Wear Leather capeskin A-1 in the classifieds section.

TypeA1_1920s.jpg

front_view.jpg

reverse_view.jpg

Gorgeous, comfortable and high quality jacket, but not getting the wear it deserves.

To each their own, but for my taste, I prefer the GW hands down. Just glad it is not my size because I have other fish frying in the pan!:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters