Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Confidence in dressing vintage

Julius8122

New in Town
baby_butterfly said:
So I was talking to a friend about vintage clothing yesterday :)eusa_doh: Ok 2am this morning but still) and she said she would have to confidence to wear vintage clothing. If she did, she would, but she didnt want to stand out. I was wondering if this was, mainly, a teenage thing? Also I wanted to ask what tips I could give her, to devlop more confidence to wear vintage. I wanna vintage buddy!! :p

Encourage your friend to start small - a pair of vintage shoes, sweater, or some earrings are great ways to add a bit of vintage style without drawing too much attention to you. I'd encourage her to try the hair and makeup on days when she's not around tons of people. This will help her get used to it without the "look at me, I did something different" feeling she may get if she wore it to school. Over time, encourage your friend to expand her vintage style by wearing multiple items together. Just don't push your friend too much, she may shut down entirely and you've then lost your vintage buddy for good! I wish you luck. I hope this helps.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
How about a girly evening, perhaps you could watch some old movies, give each other a vintage manicure, mess about doing each others hair and makeup. That way it's comfortable for her and more importantly fun!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And.... Halloween!!!

A perfect time to dress up in safe way, You're supposed to look different than your normal self! That might be the time for her to try out how it looks and feels, without feeling like people are judging her for it.

Dexter'sDame

One of the Regulars
I agree with AmyJeane and Julius8122; it's about finding what you're comfortable in, and starting small. There are many different ways of incorporating a vintage look. There are even ways of doing it that look so "modern" only the person wearing the vintage knows for sure! "The" makeup color of Fall 2010 is red lipstick. A close second is vampy dark browney-wine nail polish. The other day I saw a new jacket that was exactly like one Adrian did in the late 30's. Doesn't get much more vintage than any of those, but a lot of people think they're thoroughly modern.

Hey_Laaaaaady!

Familiar Face
I think a big part of having the confidence to dress vintage is knowing that you look good in golden era (or other vintage era) styles. I never felt that I looked my best in modern clothes, but when I'm all dressed up, hair done, vintage makeup on, I *feel* pretty. And in turn, confident. :) Yes, dressing outside the norm can be scary but it can also be a lot of fun if you know you look good. ;) One thing about me, however, is that I enjoy all the attention I get from wearing vintage clothes. To some people that can be a bit scary or intimidating. I think easing into it is a good thing, especially with pieces that she likes. The more compliments she gets, perhaps the more confident she'll feel. :) The Halloween idea sounds excellent.

For me personally, dressing vintage gives me a confidence I don't normally have. I dunno, I guess I'm weird. ;)

DecoDame

One of the Regulars
And.... Halloween!!!

A perfect time to dress up in safe way, You're supposed to look different than your normal self! That might be the time for her to try out how it looks and feels, without feeling like people are judging her for it.

(New kid pokes her head up)

That's exactly what I was going to say! Not to imply that vintage dressers are equal to clowns and devils and whatnot, but because people expect difference and actually delight in it this time a year, going to an event together would be an easy and less pressured way for her to get her toes wet. And she can see if she really enjoys it. Fun experienced is a great motivator!

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
For me personally, dressing vintage gives me a confidence I don't normally have.

This! I was always really self-concious and felt so ugly when I wore "normal" contemporary style clothes. However, once I discovered how elegant and flattering lower hemlines, higher waistlines, luxe fabrics, and intricate detailing were, I felt so much more confident. I'm actually a very shy person, and still lack self confidence, but I somehow rarely mind standing out in terms of my wardrobe... strange.

Also, I know this may sound silly, but I have certain songs that always get me into a sort of happy and devil-may-care mindset; my "self confidence playlist", if you will. I find that listening to songs that make me feel bold and excited while I'm getting ready in the morning really set the mood for the whole day and make me feel ready to conquer the world (including those who dare criticize my outfit!).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21