Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Confused about shortwave band on my radio

Valya

New in Town
Hello all,

I recently purchased an RCA Victor radio, model A-20. It has an AM, FM (doesn't work, radio dates to 1940), and a shortwave band. However, I do not understand how to read the numbers on the shortwave band. Instead of showing the megahertz, eg. 1550 mHz, etc., the numbers just range from 7 at the left, and 22 on the right. The shortwave band works great, but I don't understand how to know what frequency I am at since these numbers are just 7-22. Can someone please explain this to me, as I am very new to radios. Thank you so much!:)

Valya

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The shortwave dial is calibrated in megacycles, equivalent to 1000 kilocycles. Thus, 7 megacycles is the same as 7000 kilocycles. 22 megacycles is 22,000 kilocycles.

Your "Standard Broadcast" band is calibrated in kilocycles, which is the same as today's kilohertz, so you can see those frequencies are much lower than those in the shortwave band.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24