Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Connery's "Allan Quatermain" Vest

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Baggers said:
Dude, WAKE UP! ;)
Huh?! Wha'? Who said that?! What the heck is going on here?!

Baggers said:
Believe me, the temptation is strong to go this year. I already have the jacket, but it would still be an honor to meet the man. Better to think about the opportunities taken than regretting the ones missed...

I wonder if there any rooms left on the QM?

Cheers!
Surely there are rooms left. And please don't call me Shirley.

Hemingway Jones said:
And who was imploring you to get measured..?
Clearly the imploring was ineffective. Next time, apply a little shoe leather to be more persuasive!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Regarding being able to close the vest, I'm not sure adding buttons, like a jerkin has, would really detract from the look of the vest. To me, I think the ability to close the vest would be much more important than keeping it strictly screen accurate. However, I think buttons could be easily added on an individual basis without changing the look of the vest for those that don't want buttons. I picture it being very similar to the Rigby vest offered by Cabela's, but in leather and without the shooting patch or epaulets. Do you fellas think that the vest as seen on screen would not overlap enough to have buttons?

i942247sq02.jpg

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Mojave Jack said:
That's crazy. Large is the smallest size? :mad: I guess a custom leather one from Peter is the only way to go then.

If I want it to fit, seems like Peter is the only option. But I like leather anyway...

Any more news on this?

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Has anyone done any more with this vest? It looks like I am going to get into offering some leather products as well, so this might be a good project to tackle after all; if I can find a guinea pig. I've got most leathers available to me, and could probably do this vest for around $150 (shipped). If anyone is still interested in this, drop me a line and we can discuss the details...

Kind regards,
Magnoli

oswulf

New in Town
That is one nice vest! I hate to say it's a bit rich for my blood right now, especially considering postage and duties from New Zealand, but keep making it and I might eventually fold and pony up the dough anyway.

Just a note though, maybe a couple inches longer and it would be perfect.

oswulf

New in Town
Oh man, you're killing me! One less excuse not to get one. Damn fine looking vest........ must resist........

6string

New in Town
carebear said:
Weird question.

What caliber are the cartridge loops for? Can they be custom sized?

You are seeing my vest in the pictures. Mine was a prototype. I could probably fit a pencil in them, but not anything larger. One of my recommendations to Indy after receiving the vest was to make the loops larger(atleast to hold a 270, 30-06 or 300 bullet-and 12 guage would also be cool).

The vest is a fine piece of clothing. I would have benefited from a slightly longer length, but I would say the vest is NOT short. It looks a littler shorter in the pic because my arms are raised, but that is exaggerated.

Feel free to shoot any questions my way.

mark

Jovan

Suspended
Hello there, lurker! :) Didn't I see you post on Style Forum from time to time?

I agree, the loops should definitely be bigger. Allan looked like he was using at least 16 gaugers.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
6string said:
You are seeing my vest in the pictures. Mine was a prototype. I could probably fit a pencil in them, but not anything larger. One of my recommendations to Indy after receiving the vest was to make the loops larger(atleast to hold a 270, 30-06 or 300 bullet-and 12 guage would also be cool).

The vest is a fine piece of clothing. I would have benefited from a slightly longer length, but I would say the vest is NOT short. It looks a littler shorter in the pic because my arms are raised, but that is exaggerated.

Feel free to shoot any questions my way.

mark

As it is, you could probably undo every other line of stitching and get usable loops. Leather stretches a little, so sizing them for a .30-06 case or a bit tight for 12 ga (so a 20 wouldn't drop through but a 12 would work itself in)would work for most of us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner