Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Connery's "Allan Quatermain" Vest

Mycroft

One Too Many
I think this vest looks a bit like one I saw a photo of years ago in the Imperial War Museum from the Boer War on a Boer, maybe. Anyhow somethings I gatherered from the photos:

-Looks to be of a hide or leather
-long like a hunting or shooting vest/jacket (possibly cut off sleaves and hemmed from one?)
-each side has game hip pockets
-on the left side there are two rows of shell loops
-long shoulders like an outdoors vest
-no means to close the vest seen, may have colored buttons

I just thought we should put down some observations, so we have some reasearching material to look up.

Ken

A-List Customer
Baggers

You know I am coming round to the idea of maybe making some means of fastening the vest - but I dont want it to detract from the look of it. Do you think maybe there is a way of having some kind of hidden closure on the inside, but that you dont see from the outside, and also wouldn't be visible when the vest is open?

Ken

Mycroft

One Too Many
Ken said:
Baggers

You know I am coming round to the idea of maybe making some means of fastening the vest - but I dont want it to detract from the look of it. Do you think maybe there is a way of having some kind of hidden closure on the inside, but that you dont see from the outside, and also wouldn't be visible when the vest is open?

Ken

What about hooks (wirelike ones) that are sown on the inside, like on some military jackets? Or cordinating buttons?

Ken

A-List Customer
Here are some more images, since I dont think so many people (like myself) have the DVDs here. Also some are enlargements of what mycroft posted:

19457-2-large.jpg

pics001.jpg

lxg.jpg

league_a.jpg

2005110230600561.jpg

connery0.jpg

Ken

Ken

A-List Customer
Also would it be worth posting this over at Club Obi Wan as well? I imagine there would be some interest over there as well.

Ken

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
Ya know, when chatter increased concerning various hides for Indy Jackets, the folks over at USWings.com were very interested and kept in touch with COW forum (www.indygear.com).
I'm wondering if they might be willing to look into a vest like this, say in goat or cow.
Just another option besides Wested.

Ken

A-List Customer
I must say personally I would prefer to go with Wested. They make a top quality product at a good price. They almost always deliver on time and have a guarantee they stand by.

US Wings on the other hand I have had horrible problems with. I bought an 'Indy' jacket from them once when they were offering a sale. For a start they sent an incorrect jacket that was damaged. The replacement they then sent was also damaged (with rips/ slices in the actual leather). Their customer service regarding it was less than friendly and even though they were at fault would not accept it being returned a second time.

It has totally put me off ever dealing with the company again. And I was NOT the only one experiencing the exact same kind of problems.

Ken

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
Wow.

I'm sorry to hear about that. I've never heard any complaints about them except that their sizes run a little small.
I'll keep your experiences in mind when I order their Bush Jacket.

Baggers

Practically Family
Ken said:
Also would it be worth posting this over at Club Obi Wan as well? I imagine there would be some interest over there as well.

Ken

Oh, by all means! We could probably get another half dozen (or more) takers over there. Post away if you haven't already.

Cheers!

Baggers

Practically Family
Mycroft said:
I think this vest looks a bit like one I saw a photo of years ago in the Imperial War Museum from the Boer War on a Boer, maybe. Anyhow somethings I gatherered from the photos:

-Looks to be of a hide or leather
-long like a hunting or shooting vest/jacket (possibly cut off sleaves and hemmed from one?)
-each side has game hip pockets
-on the left side there are two rows of shell loops
-long shoulders like an outdoors vest
-no means to close the vest seen, may have colored buttons

I just thought we should put down some observations, so we have some reasearching material to look up.

Mycroft,
What you describe sounds like a leather jerkin. They date back to medeival times and can be found even today -- If you've seen Nick Park's Chicken Run, Mr. Tweedy wears one through most of the film. British Army issue Jerkins like the ones I linked to are simple thigh length, khaki wool lined, leather waistcoats (vests). They usually button fasten down the front with 4 large plastic or bakelite buttons. (The WW1 version fastened with brass General Service pattern buttons). What we're looking for is basically a shorter version of this with lapels pockets and shell loops. As for research, I'm compiling a complete set of frame grabs from the film showing the vest from as many angles as possible.

Cheers!

Baggers

Practically Family
Ken said:
Baggers

Ken

Beginning to make sense, eh? Especially once the weather starts getting cooler too, huh? ;) My idea was to use one or two duffle coat type loop and horn toggle closures similar to what's on this coat here, but perhaps they could be placed on the inside where they could be seen. However, the toggles would be so "period" for the vest that it would be a shame to hide them. One would just have to be willing to sacrifice screen accuracy for it.

Considering that no button holes would have to be cut, perhaps it could be left as an option?

Cheers!

Ken

A-List Customer
I think as an option is probably the best idea unless they are somethign fully on the inside. Just my own personal preference

Ken

boomerchop

One of the Regulars
Interesting thread.

I would be interested in one of these. I've never seen the movie, so I'm not worried about the accuracy, and some sort of closure would seem to be a good idea.

Baggers

Practically Family
Ken said:
I think as an option is probably the best idea unless they are somethign fully on the inside. Just my own personal preference

Ken

Yes, leaving it as an option may be the best way to go. I just can't think of a way of doing it without it being visible when the vest is hanging open.

BTW, I saw your post at COW. I'll be curious to how many people it brings in.

Cheers!

Ken

A-List Customer
Hopefully a few. COW gets a fair bit of traffic.

So Baggers do you intend to approach Peter? If so when were you thinking?

Ken

Baggers

Practically Family
Ken said:
Hopefully a few. COW gets a fair bit of traffic.

So Baggers do you intend to approach Peter? If so when were you thinking?

Ken

Good question. I was going to assemble the screengrabs first and move on from there. But I guess I could make first contact with Wested as soon as Monday or Tuesday, depending on how long it takes me to write an intelligent and convincing email.

But I don't think I've ever dealt directly with Peter, only Gemma, and that was by email. You've actually been to his shop, haven't you? Not trying to dodge the job, but I wonder if it would make more sense to have a primary contact in the UK as opposed to me here in the States?

Either way, it would probably be best to make contact sooner rather than later. If he declines the order, we'd be able to re-group and figure out a plan B without having invested much time. But if he accepts, we could get start getting advice from him on materials and what could or couldn't be done detail wise.

Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21