Cooking Golden Era recipes

Discussion in 'Skills and Smarts' started by St. Louis, Jun 12, 2019.

1. St. Louis

St. Louis Practically Family

I'm going to try that biscuit recipe!!

Radiospector likes this.
  2. St. Louis

St. Louis Practically Family

Has anyone here ever tried salad and dessert jellies? I find them fascinating in a horrible kind of way & have been working my way through a few veg & fruit jellies. I can see why they would be appealing -- some of these things look great in that late-art-deco architectural design way. But I can hardly stand the texture of the congealed gelatin. I'm forcing myself to eat them (I know, hilarious) because there is something so period-correct about them & I want to try to learn to like them. There are some advantages to making a big gelatin veg salad for lunch. It keeps for a few days & the vegetables stay crisp and fresh inside the gelatin.

I think this kind of thing would wow guests for dinner.

My mother used to make a lot of jello for us -- it's an easy & quick dessert -- but that's a different kettle of fish (so to speak.) I don't know how close modern Jello is to the 1930s / 1940s version. Is there any way to find out?

Anyway, right now I'm experimenting with unflavored gelatin. I've reduced the sugar considerably & next, will try it without any sweetening at all.

I'm beginning to understand why jelly molds were so popular during the 1920s-1950s.

3. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I've actually got several boxes of 1930s Jell-O -- and it doesn't look any different from the current stuff. The strawberry version says IMITATION STRAWBERRY FLAVOR on the box, so it certainly wasn't any more natural than you kind you get today. Most fruit-flavored convenience foods of the Era were actually flavored with various combinations of cheap chemical ethers, and this was true going back as far as the turn of the century.

Miss Moonlight and St. Louis like this.
  4. Radiospector

Radiospector New in Town

I’ve had a berry jello salad before that had a whipped cream jello base and it was good. I decided to try the chocolate waffles from the cookbook minus the cocoa powder and it made a decent waffle with a crispy outer shell.

5. Paradoxical

Paradoxical New in Town

My wife has made this cake a couple times:

[​IMG]

The image above is hosted at this site: http://frugalsos.com/vintage-recipes/double-mocha-chocolate-cake/ The ad can be found in a 1939 Life Magazine issue.

It is a delicious cake but very rich. Too rich for some people. It also has a tendency to crater. My wife bakes cakes regularly throughout the year, and they don't usually crater so it is a bit of a mystery why this one craters.

3fingers and David Conwill like this.