Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cordova Handmade Caps / Johnny J's work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Great pics and wardrobe Che! This is what I'm working on today: 2 diamond twill caps in silver and manx/cream.

IMG_1335.jpg

TomS

One Too Many
Hi Folks:

I'd like to comment on my experience with a Cordova Cap over the last couple of months. I bought one in cherry wool, but put it aside until colder weather. Here in New England, November and December can be quite cold, rainy, and damp. I've typically worn an Acubra fedora this time of year, because they are sturdy and hold up to the elements quite well. This year I've decided to use my Cordova Cap, and it's perfect. The fit is spot on, so wind isn't a problem. The wool is very warm, but breathes appropriately so I don't get too hot. The material stands up to the elements with out hesitation. The cap gets better looking the more I wear it, as it seems to be *settling* onto my head. It takes a bit of getting used to, because its a bit bigger than I'm accustomed to, but I have to say that I get at least one compliment every time I wear it! If anyone reading this thread is debating a purchase, rest assured the fit, finish, and look of these caps is terrific. You will not be disappointed. Johnny delivers!

Best,
Tom

simonc

Practically Family
Hi Johnny why do you think those last two hats in particular have turned out so well? For me the edges had a softness to them and the hats had body which gave them a luxurious look. Was it the thickness of the tweed? The fact
you are getting so damn good? New pattern? What was it for you?

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Good question. I have changed the pattern like 3 times and stayed with the last one for several months. The diamond tweeds are a good thickness, not too light, so it has a nice drape. I would say that the medium to thick fabrics have the nicest look. Thanks for the compliments.

Feraud

Bartender
Good question. I have changed the pattern like 3 times and stayed with the last one for several months. The diamond tweeds are a good thickness, not too light, so it has a nice drape. I would say that the medium to thick fabrics have the nicest look. Thanks for the compliments.
Apologies if you've mentioned it but can you give a brief comment on how and why you changed the pattern.
I am very interested to hear your thoughts on the changes.
Thanks!

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Apologies if you've mentioned it but can you give a brief comment on how and why you changed the pattern.
I am very interested to hear your thoughts on the changes.
Thanks!

I've changed it cause I wanted to have a little more fabric on the rear of cap, and also I think the first ones might have been a little too large on the dimensions, so I also started being careful on how I sew the darts and how long I should make them. Just little details here and there and always trying to get that original vintage look.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Judging from your fine photos, the caps are really getting better and better. Both the slight reduction in dimensions and the additional material on the rear seem to work very well indeed. I'll contact you early January for a fabric order from Scotland, Johnny.

simonc

Practically Family
I have to agree Rabbit, i went from page 1 to page 44 on this thread and you can see the caps getting tighter and tighter, brim slightly smaller, slightly less width, bit more height, softer edges; "he who clings most tenaciously to his first idea cannot be an artist" Da Vinci.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic