Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Corduroy Sports Coats and Ties?

Philalethes

A-List Customer
I am wondering what people think about wearing a tie with a corduroy odd jacket.
I consider my corduroy sports coat my most causal jacket, and so I wear it almost exclusively with jeans. But now that I know of the existence of corduroy suits, I wonder if it is fine to wear a tie and dress pants with my corduroy sports coat as well.

JimWagner

Practically Family
I am wondering what people think about wearing a tie with a corduroy odd jacket.
I consider my corduroy sports coat my most causal jacket, and so I wear it almost exclusively with jeans. But now that I know of the existence of corduroy suits, I wonder if it is fine to wear a tie and dress pants with my corduroy sports coat as well.

Certainly. Who's to say not?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Nothing wrong with it, I do this quite often!

Photoon2011-01-21at1136.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I will second the use of wool or knit ties. And I think that flannel trousers dress up corduroy quite well.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Fletch, old buddy. Just to go on the same tangent your brain went on when reading the headline of this thread, imagine not just corduroy ties, but corduroy socks and corduroy underwear. :p
And I agree with everybody else who says that a knit tie or a wovern wool tie, preferably plaid, would look best with a corduroy jacket or suit.
BTW, I assume everybody knows the derivation of the name. It's cord du roy, or cord of the king. At one point early in its history corduroy was reserved strictly for the upper classes.
To veer wildly back off topic for a moment, I once played Dr. McCorduroy in an Off Off Broadway spoof of Star Trek called Space Trek. Didn't wear corduroy, tho.

Hal

Practically Family
It is good to see the return of the corduroy jacket. When these were last in favour in the UK in the earlier 1960s, a knit tie was the most usual accompaniment (tan jacket, blue shirt, black tie perhaps being the most frequent combination). While, in my view, rough-surfaced jackets go with wool ties and smooth-surfaced ones with silk, corduroy can, I think, take either kind. Please DO wear a tie with such a jacket.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Thanks for all the replies (and I actually didn't know the derivation of the name :)).
Incidentally I have just procured some flannel pants; now all I need is a knit tie. Where would one find such a tie? I think that all I have seen are silk (or, of course, polyester).

Hal

Practically Family
A sport coat always looks better with a tie, since they add color, echo the lapels, and shirt plackets aren't designed to look elegant.
Very glad to see you write this - you have given an excellent reason for not going with the open-necked-shirt-with-jacket look (which I have never liked and probably shall never like).

JAZZmann

New in Town
I wear a tie with my corduroy jacket and sweater most days. No problemo. (sorry for the terminator reference)

bumphrey hogart

One of the Regulars
Fletch, old buddy. Just to go on the same tangent your brain went on when reading the headline of this thread, imagine not just corduroy ties, but corduroy socks and corduroy underwear. :p
And I agree with everybody else who says that a knit tie or a wovern wool tie, preferably plaid, would look best with a corduroy jacket or suit.
BTW, I assume everybody knows the derivation of the name. It's cord du roy, or cord of the king. At one point early in its history corduroy was reserved strictly for the upper classes.
To veer wildly back off topic for a moment, I once played Dr. McCorduroy in an Off Off Broadway spoof of Star Trek called Space Trek. Didn't wear corduroy, tho.

Just to add a little,I was under the impression 'corps du roi', was the name of the kings bodyguard after whom corduroy was named, as opposed to the king himself.Must admit I haven't googled this so may be completely wrong.
To stick my 'twopennyworth' in on the tie issue, I think it's got to be very dressed down,(always associated cord jackets with teachers over here,fulfilling the bare minimum requirements of their dress code of a jacket and tie),button down collar or check country style shirt and woven tie,chino/flannel type trousers and suede shoes. I'm sure you get the picture,suede pads on the elbows, essentially wear it like an old tweed jacket, pipe in the pocket and stare thoughtfully into space,your mind is dwelling on far more important issues than the mundane necessity of clothes.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24