Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Could you work at Starbucks?

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Starbucks' new dress code has arrived! Fedoras are smiled upon.
Is this a sign of changing tastes? Or just confirmation that Starbucks likes young hipsters?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...meaning-of-starbucks-new-employee-dress-code/

I post this with some trepidation. My daughter happens to be militantly anti-Starbucks for some reason. Something about "fake corporate pseudo-cool" and "the monster that swallowed the small independent coffee shop". Hmmm. Is it as fashionable for millennials to dislike Starbucks as it once was for baby-boomers to scorn McDonalds? (I think I have matured beyond all that.) Anyway: Is this Starbucks code good for fedoras? Or is it yet something new to besmirch the reputation of the classic hat?

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Just sounds like a sales gimmic to attract a more trendy clientele & convince the regular punters that 'Starbucks' isn't at all a money grabbing corporate buisness but just a friendly lil' coffee shop with unpressurized, laid back employees who's only wish is to make you feel at home...........the fact that Starbucks & other mega multi-nationals such as Amazon don't pay their taxes in the countries they operate in is not the point, hip, firendly staff, that customers can relate to, is all that matters.:rolleyes:
I've never been to a Starbucks, it isn't part of my culture & quite frankly I couldn't care less how the servers dress which is why I can remain completely objective on the matter :D

Is this a sign of changing tastes? Or just confirmation that Starbucks likes young hipsters?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...meaning-of-starbucks-new-employee-dress-code/

I post this with some trepidation. My daughter happens to be militantly anti-Starbucks for some reason. Something about "fake corporate pseudo-cool" and "the monster that swallowed the small independent coffee shop". Hmmm. Is it as fashionable for millennials to dislike Starbucks as it once was for baby-boomers to scorn McDonalds? (I think I have matured beyond all that.) Anyway: Is this Starbucks code good for fedoras? Or is it yet something new to besmirch the reputation of the classic hat?

Interesting about her anti-establishment mind-set toward Starbucks. It's true enough to get some traction. So, why then isn't Ben & Jerry's treated the same? At least as phony a corporate credo as Starbucks, in my opinion. Or, my favorite one to hate, the "If You Care" company. Nowhere near as successful as the aforementioned, but even more snotty in their name.

tropicalbob

She's right.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

This boomer still digs Big Macs. 2 fer $5.00!

1961MJS

Hi, I do char bucks once or twice a month. I also have a hut called Cool Beans on the way to work that gets more business. The place I feel uncomfortable in is called The Gray Owl. It's TERRIBLY hipster. I went in with a co-worker, 24 year old college grad in skinny jeans and he was SOOOOOOO not hipster enough to be in there. If I go back it will be in un-matched camouflage (woodland pants, marsh shirt for example) and a seed corn hat. If I'm not going to fit in, and want to be all the way out I guess.
Later

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Hi, I do char bucks once or twice a month. I also have a hut called Cool Beans on the way to work that gets more business. The place I feel uncomfortable in is called The Gray Owl. It's TERRIBLY hipster. I went in with a co-worker, 24 year old college grad in skinny jeans and he was SOOOOOOO not hipster enough to be in there. If I go back it will be in un-matched camouflage (woodland pants, marsh shirt for example) and a seed corn hat. If I'm not going to fit in, and want to be all the way out I guess.
Later
I wear skinny jeans cuz Im skinny. Levis 511.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Just sounds like a sales gimmic to attract a more trendy clientele & convince the regular punters that 'Starbucks' isn't at all a money grabbing corporate buisness but just a friendly lil' coffee shop with unpressurized, laid back employees who's only wish is to make you feel at home...........the fact that Starbucks & other mega multi-nationals such as Amazon don't pay their taxes in the countries they operate in is not the point, hip, firendly staff, that customers can relate to, is all that matters.:rolleyes:
I've never been to a Starbucks, it isn't part of my culture & quite frankly I couldn't care less how the servers dress which is why I can remain completely objective on the matter :D
My sentiment entirely. You earn money in my country, you pay your dues for the privilege. Avoid the tax, legally or otherwise, I avoid you. That's all.

EliasRDA

One of the Regulars
yah yah, bit old but I have to chime in. I used to be a barista at the mermaid, was the first starbucks in our area. Came in around 2005 or so, which is when I worked for them & I was nowhere near 20's, closer to 40's nor am I hipster. It was a job when I needed it until I got my RE license.

So, yes, we did the dress code, khaki pants with black polo, I used to wear a cheap wool knockoff (barely) fedora but when I went home after shift I stunk so much of coffee I'd have to leave my hat in the garage on the top of my truck to air out. It would pick up the smells just from hanging in the backroom, maybe straw might not have.
But since the smell was in my hair also it probably would have.

I still visit them, I also prefer DunkinDonuts (being a northerner) but I'll take Paneras mocha. I also visit a local owned shop in Lewes call Nottinghill Roastery, the owner is an old friend & she roasts her beans onsite. I remember supporting her when she first started with a lil cart kiosk in the local outlets.

All I care about is the coffee is better than McDees & gives me a jolt. I'll even drink cowboy coffee if I have too.

I love these kids nowadays that think they have to protest everything & anything, I guess they don't realize chains started pushing out small mom & pop stores a long time before they were even a gleam in daddies eye or a stain on the sheets.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy