Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Bought a pair of Loblan 295 harness boots this week, after a long time of looking for a pair of brown harness boots not in a waxy finish. I really like them - shiny, 'rub off' look in a finish I believe they call tobacco.

I do have a question about fit. I tried them on in the office for the first time (socks on, no plastic bag). Difficult to get into, but once on a great fit. Getting them off again was a bit more of a struggle on my own. Once on, they feel a good fit round my feet. Snugger all round than an engineer boot - which is part of the attraction, of course. What I'm now not sure about is whether I need to return them (purchased by mail) and ask for a size up, or whether they will break in with use.

I did a few years ago have a similar issue with a pair of Chippewa Engineer boots, which broke in and slipped on and off nicely after a few weeks of regular wear. Are Loblans the same, or do I really need to size up? I'd hate to size up now and then find in a couple of months' time they were too big...

I would repeat the advice you've already received. If they fit well while they're on, I'd stick with that size. There's few things worse than trying to walk around in sloppy-fitting pull-on boots. Boot jacks to get them off, at least for now, and a long shoe horn (the long style made for physically disabled folks or those recovering from hip or knee surgery) will help get them on. In time, you won't need the shoehorn, but you may want to keep the boot jack.

Good luck!

With all of the BS around this site, not a bad call, B.

Every time you post some of your Stewart’s, I think of the history associated with them.

I grabbed a pair of “Hollywood” boots sometime ago. Just for the shelf.
1708643490018.jpeg

1708643546654.jpeg

Some years back, toward the end of Stewart’s run, I think, they did a remake of the boot James Dean wore in Giant for a company called the Phoenix Project. I always thought it was a good looking boot.
1708644406568.png

Edward

Bartender
If they fit when you've got them on, then I'd say go with it. They will stretch out over time and you don't want them flopping around too loose on your foot. In the meantime, get yourself a boot jack to make it easier getting them off. You can get a plain wooden one for pretty cheap, or go down the rabbit hole of vintage ones. Usually cast iron, you can find steer heads, giant bugs, saucy ladies with their legs in the air....the possibilities are endless..
View attachment 593184 View attachment 593185 View attachment 593186

I would repeat the advice you've already received. If they fit well while they're on, I'd stick with that size. There's few things worse than trying to walk around in sloppy-fitting pull-on boots. Boot jacks to get them off, at least for now, and a long shoe horn (the long style made for physically disabled folks or those recovering from hip or knee surgery) will help get them on. In time, you won't need the shoehorn, but you may want to keep the boot jack.

Good luck!

Thanks, gents. I'll try them on again this evening (they're in my office, I'll be there again later), without socks this time and see - I think that will give me a good line of comparison with the Chips too. I have my eye on another pair in a different model, but will hold back til I see how I go with these. These have the wide, square toe while the others are a mid-width toe, so might mean going up a size in them. Footwear is tricky that way - can take a while to figure it out, and an expensive learning experience. Advice much appreciated and really helpful - thanks!

Found these at a flea market in Licking, Missouri (pop. 3,500) for $30.00. Paul Bond’s from 2002 — I think they are calf and shark (I’ll defer to the leather experts). Six rows of stitching. Too small for me unfortunately. The original owner is 96 (I didn’t find an obit).

View attachment 598275

View attachment 598276

View attachment 598277

View attachment 598278

View attachment 598279

View attachment 598280

View attachment 598281

View attachment 598282
Interesting color combo. Shark on the collars and counters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21