Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How difficult is it to polish Lucchese Black Cherry colored boots?

Lorinz

Familiar Face
I always loved that Black Cherry color that Lucchese has for some of their cowboy boots, but I've had one worry concerning buying a pair in that color. I've heard that specific color can be really difficult as far as maintaining with polish, and my fear would be that eventually the color would be lost and not something I can keep or restore. Is this true, or is there a way to keep the color and not lose it? I think I saw something with someone mentioning using multiple layers of black and a specific red polish, but I don't know how well that actually worked, and also I've heard you generally don't want to overload leather cowboy boots with too many layers of product. Anyone have any experience with Black Cherry color and trying to keep it, any success?

I always loved that Black Cherry color that Lucchese has for some of their cowboy boots, but I've had one worry concerning buying a pair in that color. I've heard that specific color can be really difficult as far as maintaining with polish, and my fear would be that eventually the color would be lost and not something I can keep or restore. Is this true, or is there a way to keep the color and not lose it? I think I saw something with someone mentioning using multiple layers of black and a specific red polish, but I don't know how well that actually worked, and also I've heard you generally don't want to overload leather cowboy boots with too many layers of product. Anyone have any experience with Black Cherry color and trying to keep it, any success?
I have numerous pairs of black cherry boots. They do develop a patina over time. I just polish as I would any of my boots. I use a Lincoln black to get the depth of shine and then I have both a red Lincoln wax and a Moneysworth in burgundy that I use as a top coating to enhance the red tones. As long as I don't slather on the wax/polish in super thick layers the dye colour of the boots shines through.

Lorinz

Familiar Face
I have numerous pairs of black cherry boots. They do develop a patina over time. I just polish as I would any of my boots. I use a Lincoln black to get the depth of shine and then I have both a red Lincoln wax and a Moneysworth in burgundy that I use as a top coating to enhance the red tones. As long as I don't slather on the wax/polish in super thick layers the dye colour of the boots shines through.

Do you find the color just fading to the point it doesn't really look as good anymore? I've seen some say the boots eventually just lose that unique color altogether, particularly the black.

Do you find the color just fading to the point it doesn't really look as good anymore? I've seen some say the boots eventually just lose that unique color altogether, particularly the black.
My favourite pair are Justin Ropers. They are old.......still look black cherry. In some lighting, black, others redder and in some low lighting a red/brown colour.

Lorinz

Familiar Face
My favourite pair are Justin Ropers. They are old.......still look black cherry. In some lighting, black, others redder and in some low lighting a red/brown colour.

Thanks. Do you layer first the black, then the red, then the burgundy when polishing the boots? Moneysworth I assume is a cream rather than a polish(tried searching it on google and results showed a cream)? I heard of Lincoln wax but not Moneysworth before.

Thanks. Do you layer first the black, then the red, then the burgundy when polishing the boots? Moneysworth I assume is a cream rather than a polish(tried searching it on google and results showed a cream)? I heard of Lincoln wax but not Moneysworth before.
Lincoln is a hard wax and Moneysworth is a cream (I think they might have gone out of business). I prefer Lincoln products. I will use black and then the red as an over coat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff