Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about colors and polishing leather boots(Black Cherry)?

Lorinz

Familiar Face
I need some advice concerning polishing Black Cherry cowboy boots from Lucchese. I got a pair(the Gavin) in Black Cherry, and noticed a scuff, so I went to polish them, using a little bit of Black polish from Saphir. I wasn't sure if doing this made my boots darker or not, but I worried it could have. I was wondering if I should swap to using a little bit of Burgundy color polish by Saphir next time I polish them, to try and prevent them from turning too black and to retain the red/cherry hues. Would this be a good idea? A friend of mine told me that for that color you want to use polish based on what hues you want to steer the shoes torwards(Red to bring out the red tones and make them more red, Burgundy to bring out the more wine color tone and make them more wine colored, or Black to make them darker). I ask this here because I have no real experience with layering different colors for polishes, and want to make sure I don't mess anything up.

Here are some before and after pictures showing my boots before I used the Black polish and after, I couldn't tell if it actually made them darker or not, so maybe someone can chime in:

Before using Black Polish:
before.jpg

before3.jpg
before2.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And one image of them after using the Black Polish:

after polish.jpg

Fifty150

One Too Many
I was wondering if I should swap to using a little bit of Burgundy color polish by Saphir next time I polish them, to try and prevent them from turning too black and to retain the red/cherry hues.

Solovair sells something that they call "rub-off". They recommend using burgundy or black. You are on the right track.

1686456286340.png

1686456168918.png

A friend of mine told me that for that color you want to use polish based on what hues you want to steer the shoes torwards(Red to bring out the red tones and make them more red, Burgundy to bring out the more wine color tone and make them more wine colored, or Black to make them darker).

Here's the deal. I am cheap. Frugal. There is some shoe polish on sale. I buy it. Note that in real life, the tube does not have the color printed on the label. So as not to confuse the colors, I store the tube in the rubber glove that I apply the polish with. The stains on the glove help me identify the color.

Screenshot 2023-06-10 20.58.02.png

So here are the results with using the same "reddish" color, on two different pairs of shoes. Bear in mind that I have no training or experience in shining shoes. I wasn't in the military or ROTC. My job does not have such stringent uniform standards.

I clean the shoe with an old rag. Apply some shoe cream because this is suppose to be good for the leather. Then apply the polish. I brush it. Then rub it with the sleeve of an old sweat shirt. Hopefully, it gives you an idea of what a red looking shoe polish does.

IMG_20230610_192947509.jpg

IMG_20230610_193344680.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I would either alternate between black and burgundy, or (when you aren't looking to cover a scuff) just use a colourless, neutral polish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner