Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy hats losing their cool?

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
No slight intended towards Porter Wagner, I watched and enjoyed him also. Its a shame that talent and personality on both stage and film seems to have been replaced with lights and pyrotechnics.

Knobscobber

New in Town
At'll be the day~
DSC07007_zps834cbb82.jpg

frussell

One Too Many
I'm afraid I never looked to see Porter's hairdo or whether he was wearing a hat or not. Even as a youngster, I was distracted by Dolly's attributes. He was always a hell of a singer, glitter or not. Frank

job

One Too Many
I don't really think they are losing there cool at the moment. I think they went out in large numbers at the end of the 1950s. Even George Jones, Johnny Cash, etc. mostly didn't wear them in the 1960s and 70s. If you look back at old footage there were a lot of performers wearing them. I think they went out to a lesser degree with the fedora.

I don't really think they are losing there cool at the moment. I think they went out in large numbers at the end of the 1950s. Even George Jones, Johnny Cash, etc. mostly didn't wear them in the 1960s and 70s. If you look back at old footage there were a lot of performers wearing them. I think they went out to a lesser degree with the fedora.

The hat is cool because cool guys wear it, not the other way around. If you're wearing it look cool, chances are you don't.

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Here in Cleveland we don't see to many cowboy hats. But then, we don't see too many good fedoras, either.

I don't own any true cowboy hats. But my favorite jewelry is Navajo bolos, rings and pendants. I typically wear one of my Akubra Fed IVs when I wear a bolo. Is it truly western? No. But it works for me. Or I guess I should say this is what I prefer to wear, whether or not anyone else likes it.

It still held on in places with ranches and the like. You're right about it disappearing big time in the late fifties to the seventies. Between Urban Cowboy and the rodeo styling that was big in Country-Music up until the current fads, hats were a big deal.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
I have seen more cowboy hats in public of late than I ever have in my lifetime. I live in an area that is growing, currently. I wear western hats just about any place I go, except to church.
The past few months when I am out around town I have noticed more and more western hats being worn. I was pleasantly surprised. I have also a growing trend of stingy brimmed hats being work by young women. Not a look I am crazy about, but it means more hats are finding a home.

JoeyC

One of the Regulars
I have a rather large collection of western/cowboy hats, many made specifically for wearing when I participated in cowboy action shooting in period style dress and many in contemporary styles both custom and stock. While I do not wear them with the frequency I once did, I do still wear them. My dress fedoras haven't replaced them it's just that my style is rather eclectic. I feel just as comfortable in jeans, boots and western hat in appropriate surroundings as I am in three piece suit, tie, dress shoes and dress fedora on other occasions. I, as we all on this forum, appreciate a beautiful hat regardless of it's lineage though some prefer one over the other.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Whether we see folks wearing cowboy hats or not, just depends on where you live. They are common here in this part of CA and where I was born in TX.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Lottsa cowboy hats in Wyoming. I have three Steton Open Roads, two in the traditional cattleman's crease including a 7x Clear Beaver and 25, and one a 3x creased as a fedora. I also have a 4X Stetson that's my knock around hat and a vintage 7X Rancher style for serious wear. Sadly, I also see a lot of ranch cowboys in ball caps. There's a standing joke: Why do real cowboys wear tractor caps? So you can tell them from the real estate agents.

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
My Stetsonian is sometimes taken for a cowboy hat in China. I wonder what folks will think when I get back with my Boss Raw Edge.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
A ton of people wear western hats here in Ft. Worth, both in town and around the stockyards area - I don't recall seeing anyone in a fedora, other than the occasional Panama hat.

With the summer getting going, nearly every hat is a western shantung straw - very popular with all the local law enforcement guys too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21