Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

crawl space find, montgomery ward pwer house chore jacket‏

jim_wombat

New in Town
I found this jacket in the crawl space of my house. The house was built in 1940, and I am not sure the age of the jacket. I did a little research and found out it is a montgomery ward pwer house chore jacket, I think it was produced prior to 1960 but not sure. If you have any information about this jacket, it would be of a great help. The flash from the camera makes the denim lighter than it is. The color is a very dark indigo, and it looks to have been washed only a couple times. It is a size 42, the buttons are copper, and the only tag I could find was a union made tag sewn in the pocket with a number. I am not sure about the orange paint on the bottom, if that was how it came or what. Anyway, its a cool jacket that fits perfect and it was just thrown in a crawl space the best part it was free. Thanks for the help

DSC04074.jpg

DSC04078.jpg

DSC04077.jpg

DSC04076.jpg

Papa M

A-List Customer
I sure wish I could find something like that in the Crawl Space of my house.

In fact I wish I actually had a Crawl Space in my house!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
There are union label geniuses on this forum. It's amazing, but they know them all. The label is your best bet for dating. Well, I hope you've stopped for a visit, but decide to stay for a good long spell. Fun stuff here in the Lounge. Welcome.

PoohBang

Suspended
It would be across the back and big so it would be easy to spot.

I'd guess some guy was under the house doing work and it got hot. He took it off and forgot it was down there. I find stuff all the time under houses.... mostly just tools that guys forgot or lost.

jim_wombat

New in Town
Thanks for all the information everyone. I think its very old as well, the denim is ring spun, all the thread is cotton, and a lot of the sewing work does not look as perfect as todays automated factories. I found it in a attic crawl space folded up, I washed it in cold water, and let it hang dry. If you could only see it, it really looks new with a dark indigo color. I am for sure keeping it, when I was in Tokyo last month I saw them everywhere, and they were all 400 dollar repros. I remember saying to myself, " I have one of those in my closet, and its orginal." Well whoever left it for me, thanks. I will take care of it, and wear it for sure.

jim_wombat

New in Town
the only labels are the union made label in the pocket, and the size label in the neck. The label in the neck is cotton and says 42 in black. The jacket looks to have orginally come in unwashed denim. This is obvious in the amount of shrinkage around the pockets and the bunching of fabric around the pocket seams. I have no idea when montgomery ward transistioned from pre-washed denim, and standard montgomery ward buttons. Since the company is out of business its going to be next to impossible to find out. Unless someone has the last 80 years worth of catalogs to go thru. Even then you are only going to be bale to narrow down maybe the decade, and thats really it. I should also mention that there is not a RN number on this jacket

It would be across the back and big so it would be easy to spot.

When they shutdown & moved the county work camp, a few of us went exploring. We found hats, pants, & shirts = the ones that are white with blue stripes down the seam & the buttons. All of the denim coats we found didn't have bold markings like you see on the orange jumpsuits of today. They had a simple MCDC, Macon County Dept of Corrections, on the front. That is what those orange letters reminded me of.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
That's a helluva find. I've seen similar old workwear sell for big bucks. I'd be surprised if it's newer than mid-fifties - but I'll be watching this thread to see what more knowledgeable members say about that.

Papa M

A-List Customer
OK what's a crawl space...

I'm glad that you asked. I assumed that it is the space underneath a house or bungalow that is jacked up off the ground. That area where all the spiders and creepy-crawlies live. Here in the UK we don't tend to construct like that.

jim_wombat

New in Town
well I did a bit more research, looks like Montgomery Wards Powr House line exsisted from 1929 to 1960. So the jacket falls somewhere in that time frame. Since there is not a RN located on the jacket, that would possible put the jacket somewhere between 1929 and 1952, so I was able to cut off about a decade. After looking at some old catalog scans, I think the jacket is a powr house pioneer jacket and not a chore jacket. I think I will be hard pressed to narrow it down anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot