Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crazy steer and Milwaukee steer

New in Town
I took few crappy phone pictures for those who are interested how the leather looks from close. In real life it is little more brown and less red. Colour is darker than AL sales page photos.

t9l2.jpg
[/IMG]
ycop.jpg
[/IMG]
nb8i.jpg
[/IMG]

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I'd stick with the same hide. I'm not keen on their Mongolian steer at all. Or the jacket, for that matter;):

I was looking at the AL hides just now and thinking that this sort of oily hide with a suede type finish seems to be getting very common. Maybe it's in fashion since Aero's oil pull's gone that way too. It's not at all like an older Aero oil pull jacket I've got and it looks a lot like the leather this rather odd cyclops jacket from AL is made of. After handling it I don't like it, I prefer a proper surface on leather myself.

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
I was looking at the AL hides just now and thinking that this sort of oily hide with a suede type finish seems to be getting very common. Maybe it's in fashion since Aero's oil pull's gone that way too. It's not at all like an older Aero oil pull jacket I've got and it looks a lot like the leather this rather odd cyclops jacket from AL is made of. After handling it I don't like it, I prefer a proper surface on leather myself.

Any chance of pix of the old oil pull jacket? That's a personal fave hide of mine.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
P1091226.JPG
Any chance of pix of the old oil pull jacket? That's a personal fave hide of mine.

New from the sales page and old. It doesn't fit properly anyway and will have to go back. The hide looks okay on the pictures but in the flesh it's oily to the touch and very matt. Like an old jacket that's been flooded with neatsfoot oil.

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
View attachment 6038

New from the sales page and old. It doesn't fit properly anyway and will have to go back. The hide looks okay on the pictures but in the flesh it's oily to the touch and very matt. Like an old jacket that's been flooded with neatsfoot oil.

That's a shame, man. The old one is great though. Mine is defo similafr to that. Great color, redder than brown FQHH but still much darker than russet. Do you notice a difference in the hide thickness? I've heard the newer one is lighter although maybe they still maintain two weights since oil pull is advertised as a possible leather for both A2 and heavy FQHH civilian jackets.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
That's a shame, man. The old one is great though. Mine is defo similafr to that. Great color, redder than brown FQHH but still much darker than russet. Do you notice a difference in the hide thickness? I've heard the newer one is lighter although maybe they still maintain two weights since oil pull is advertised as a possible leather for both A2 and heavy FQHH civilian jackets.

I've got a sample from six months ago when I was looking at their A1 and that is thinner than this and shinier. In fact the sample is quite nice and it's a pity the jacket wasn't made of that...

My old jacket is made of thicker and stiffer hide again and took a fair bit of breaking in. Because of the oil stuffing it's about as thick and stiff as Horween FQHH and still can be just about made to stand up by itself even though it's over five years old. This is a picture when it was new. I do like the softness of this new hide though. But it's like a newly re waxed old Barbour jacket. I like them BTW but I like my leather to look like leather.

P2140606.JPG

Last edited:

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
I've got a sample from six months ago when I was looking at their A1 and that is thinner than this and shinier. In fact the sample is quite nice and it's a pity the jacket wasn't made of that...

My old jacket is made of thicker and stiffer hide again and took a fair bit of breaking in. Because of the oil stuffing it's about as thick and stiff as Horween FQHH and still can be just about made to stand up by itself even though it's over five years old. This is a picture when it was new. I do like the softness of this new hide though. But it's like a newly re waxed old Barbour jacket. I like them BTW but I like my leather to look like leather.

View attachment 6050

I have that exact same jacket although with a bi swing and a brown cotton drill lining. It's 12 years old at this point and it'll still stand up.... for about twenty seconds.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Looks good. I don't think there's much wrong with the sleeve length. On jackets long sleeves aren't as necessary as they are with overcoats and can look very odd if too long. My right arm is a bit longer than my left too as most right handed people are probably. I know this came from the sales page but some makers will make one a bit longer when you order a made for you jacket and some won't.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I've never heard of that, but I tell you, if somebody sent me a made-for jacket with one arm longer than the other, I'd send it straight back. [huh]

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I've never heard of that, but I tell you, if somebody sent me a made-for jacket with one arm longer than the other, I'd send it straight back. [huh]

Never bought a tailor made suit? Any half decent tailor takes account of that since most people have one arm longer than the other. Just look at all the fit pictures on this site to see that. My right arm is three quarters of an inch longer than my left.

A good tailor will compensate for one high shoulder too. People aren't totally symmetrical. Not even young Dave Jones. :p

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I have a cupboard full of them, and not one of them have asymmetrical sleeves. Tbh, I'm not sure this guy's sleeves are actually wrong, I thought it was just that he's wearing a jumper that's causing the skewing. But if they are seriously out of kilter (we're talking more than 0.5") then that's a deal-breaker for me.I get where you're coming from, Capes, but I would feel self-conscious about having sleeves like that.
Also, given that AL seem to be given to lengthening their sale jackets, I don't see why they couldn't do it for this guy. [huh]

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I have a cupboard full of them, and not one of them have asymmetrical sleeves. Tbh, I'm not sure this guy's sleeves are actually wrong, I thought it was just that he's wearing a jumper that's causing the skewing. But if they are seriously out of kilter (we're talking more than 0.5") then that's a deal-breaker for me.I get where you're coming from, Capes, but I would feel self-conscious about having sleeves like that.
Also, given that AL seem to be given to lengthening their sale jackets, I don't see why they couldn't do it for this guy. [huh]

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up

New in Town
I dont know if you're talking about sleeve lenght on my jacket but they are identical in lenght. Maybe my hands are just different lenght or i was standing awkwardly.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
View attachment 6038

I think a lot of people don't look at the classifieds much so I'm putting a cheeky link here to my old style oilpull HWM shown here on the right which I listed there yesterday.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?75055-Aero-HWM-in-the-old-oilpull

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk