Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Creating Overcoats and Dress Coats

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
While scanning the "Show Us Your Overcoats!" thread with a deep and abiding pride, I remembered I had a number of yards of fabric at home, camelhair and a nice worsted dove gray wool. A Polo and a Chesterfield would be great, each lined with a nice charmeuse silk, and I'm a fair hand with a needle, so what the heck...

Anyone know where I can find patterns for double-breasted, peak-lapeled, belt back overcoats?

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
Well, nevermind.

Vogue offers a nice pattern for men's coats, including a double-breasted chesterfield and a single-breasted camelhair with breast pockets and buttoned sleeves as examples of the patterns. Adding a longer skirt, patch pockets and a belted back won't be much of a challenge for your friendly neighborhood needle junkie.

Oddly enough, vintage patterns aren't very man friendly. Seems most patterns from the 20's - 50's were for pajamas, shirts and bathrobes. I suppose we were expected to go to a tailor for any specific needs.

Edward

Bartender
Spatterdash said:
Oddly enough, vintage patterns aren't very man friendly. Seems most patterns from the 20's - 50's were for pajamas, shirts and bathrobes. I suppose we were expected to go to a tailor for any specific needs.

Well, to create a serviceable outfit for a man - a pair of trousers and a shirt, say, is a much more complex operation than putting together a simple dress for a lady. And at a time when the norm was a lounge suit for casual wear... most people (back in the day read; "women") could learn to run up something simple fairly easily, but tailoring a suit is a complex business indeed...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy