Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Creative Black Tie?

Kevin Popejoy

One of the Regulars
My partner in crime invited us to a black tie event next weekend. All well and good, I don't need much of an excuse to pull on the tux. This is an annual event that I've not attended before so I looked it up. Turns out it's creative black tie...

Anyone have experience with such a thing? I looked at some of the pics from last year. All good fun right, but damn. The guys that got "creative" looked like...well, use your imagination. It wasn't pretty. The ladies did a much better job of pulling it off. My inclination is to just dress out normally and call it good. My lovely bride has a leopard skin print version of a little black dress that should be just the ticket.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Looking traditional inevitably results in looking original. Dress black tie in the proper fashion and you will be the one who stands out!

Example, this morning I attended a father's day breakfast at my daughter's school. I was the only one in a three piece suit, the only one wearing a tie, one of only two men wearing a jacket, and perhaps among the 50% wearing trousers rather than shorts. Bear in mind this is Friday, a traditional work day. I can't believe 50% of the fathers attending were on an off day, or rushing home to change!

I even got another comment "I didn't know this was a formal event" (from dad dressed in polo shirt, shorts and sandals (!!!)). I just laughed (it was that, or crying...).

DocMustang

One of the Regulars
Totaly agree with alll of the above. Bust out your classic tux, perhaps get "creative" by including a proper formal waistcoat in black or bust out the white tie version with a matching wing collar shirt with a black self tie bow and call it creative. Top it with a black homberg and you are good to go. Another possibility would be to go with a classic warm weather look, with an ivory dinner jacket. But that would entirely depend on your location.

Bugsy

One Too Many
Totaly agree with alll of the above. Bust out your classic tux, perhaps get "creative" by including a proper formal waistcoat in black or bust out the white tie version with a matching wing collar shirt with a black self tie bow and call it creative. Top it with a black homberg and you are good to go. Another possibility would be to go with a classic warm weather look, with an ivory dinner jacket. But that would entirely depend on your location.

I absolutely agree. There is a reason the classics are called "classic".

Yeps

Call Me a Cab

I love the look of black tie with a stiff shirt and white waistcoat. Very 1920s (or was that trend in the 30s?)

GBR

One of the Regulars
You could wear black jeans, white tee shirt and an ordinary black tie. That would be "creative" if I understand what this is intended to be. However it would look dreadful so just go in traditional form.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
The furthest I would ever take creativity is a coloured cummerbund. Anything more is tasteless. Personally I'd just be classic and wear a white waistcoat, pocket watch, homburg and carry a cane, all of which were once signs of conformity but now signs of individuality.

Edward

Bartender
I love the look of black tie with a stiff shirt and white waistcoat. Very 1920s (or was that trend in the 30s?)

Both, I believe. That period of transition between white tie being the eveningwear norm outside the home and it being supplanted by black tie.

In terms of colour, when i wear a cummerbund I prefer a burgundy one. Only tends to be with a white dj, though. Always wear a burgundy silk pocket square with white dj. With black dj, all monochrome.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Forgive me if I sound rude, but what kind of event was this?

It seems odd to me that any event proposing "black tie" would also suggest "creative" in the same breath.

Kevin Popejoy

One of the Regulars
Forgive me if I sound rude, but what kind of event was this?

It seems odd to me that any event proposing "black tie" would also suggest "creative" in the same breath.

Not at all. It turned out to be a lot of fun. This was a benefit for the zoo and since it's held in the zoo proper and so outdoors, the heat can be an issue. I think it's an effort to allow people some latitude for comfort as much as anything. Luckily the weather was agreeable and a standard tuxedo was fine...not that many went that route.

http://www.stlzoo.org/events/calendarofevents/zoofari/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo