Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crossover ties:

chucklehead

A-List Customer
What is the purpose & use of Crossover ties?
Crossover_Tie_Solid_Color.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
chucklehead said:
What is the purpose & use of Crossover ties?
I wore one from kindergarten through 3rd grade (4th grade and up wore long ties) as part of a school uniform in the 60's. I've seen them worn occasionally at Black Tie events, usually by older well dressed European gents like Ahmet Urtegun. I bought one a decade ago, from Sulka, for such use but have yet to actually wear it.

BTW, I recall seeing 50's photos of entertainers like Elvis and Johnny Cash sporting them with suits.

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
I know Elvis wore one in 1960 on the "Frank Sinatra/Timex - Welcome Home Elvis" show.....Here are a couple of shots. Looks kinda cool, IMO:

chucklehead

A-List Customer
BJBAmerica said:
I know Elvis wore one in 1960 on the "Frank Sinatra/Timex - Welcome Home Elvis" show.....Here are a couple of shots. Looks kinda cool, IMO:

big thanks for the pix! i was looking for example's men wearing them!

so now I can wear one!

I'll probably have to carry those pics around to convince them that its okay.

:p :p :p

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
Pleasure Chucklehead.....I think the crossover ties look pretty swanky....Still formal yet with a bit of panache that not over the top or trendy.

redtag

Banned
I don't think many people (as in many) wear that this days. If your plan is to grab too much attention then you are probably doing the right thing. Then again, I think crossover tie isn't trendy nowadays.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I wore one from kindergarten through 3rd grade (4th grade and up wore long ties) as part of a school uniform in the 60's.

They were part of our Tuesday assembly day activities in the '60s, and my school currently has them as a uniform option. I think the main reason for them is that they are so simple to put on, and they dont hang into your ravioli at lunch.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I've seen them worn occasionally at Black Tie events, usually by older well dressed European gents like Ahmet Urtegun.

Ahmet Urtegun is Turkish, not European...But to stick with the topic, I have never seen them worn by anyone but school kids and flight attendants (that is the proper term, which my American Airlines, former TWA stewardess sister uses).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner