Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crush Cap as Daily Wear?

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Worth giving it a go to let it settle first. I have a couple of caps like that where the crown sits remarkably well pulled down in front like a regular eight panel. Not stitched down gives it the option of a look a bit more like the crusher / Brando type caps as well. I like the flexibility. One option might be to install a stud fastener instead of sewing the crown to the brim, that way you can keep it tacked down if you prefer, but the option to wear it otherwise remains available.

Thanks for the advice Edward, I’ll try that “let it settle” approach. Who knows, maybe it will be just what I want straight out of the box anyway.

Curious: how would you install a stud fastener?

Joe45

New in Town
Sorry, maybe my question wasn't clear enough and to be honest I don't know how to make it clearer. I drive trucks, I don't repair them. I am not handy that way at all - I read books as a hobby!

Stitching the crown to the brim is probably as advanced as I can get. :D

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many

I figure to install a snap onto the brim, I’d either have to puncture the brim itself (which I would not want to do) or somehow be able to install the snap into the material surrounding the brim. I don’t know how to do the second one or if it’s even possible without taking the material off, thus the question to Edward.

Last edited:

shopkin

New in Town
The material on the brim is tightly stretched into place.. The tension will make a cut or puncture want to spread open and you would not be able to gather it all back together to set a conventional snap. You could use an external snap where one or both sides are sewn in place on the outside. But, that is going to stand out and be very noticeable. .

I'd either sew it permanently into place or sew on a small hook and eye like they use on a bra..

Edward

Bartender
I figure to install a snap onto the brim, I’d either have to puncture the brim itself (which I would not want to do) or somehow be able to install the snap into the material surrounding the brim. I don’t know how to do the second one or if it’s even possible without taking the material off, thus the question to Edward.

Maybe worth trying a cobbler / dry cleaner / tailor? That's probbly what I'd try.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Maybe worth trying a cobbler / dry cleaner / tailor? That's probbly what I'd try.
Thanks Edward, I’m glad you agree that it might be a bit complicated.

Turns out I don’t need it! The Sterkowski Vigo 100% linen is here and I am happy to report that it is solid enough that it doesn’t need any refinement. The linen is also nice enough that I don’t itch at all wearing it.

The crown is so big, however, that I am considering sending him back. What do you think?

Here is my write-up on the Sterkowski thread. This is good quality!

IMG_2063.jpeg

Last edited:

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
The material on the brim is tightly stretched into place.. The tension will make a cut or puncture want to spread open and you would not be able to gather it all back together to set a conventional snap. You could use an external snap where one or both sides are sewn in place on the outside. But, that is going to stand out and be very noticeable. .

I'd either sew it permanently into place or sew on a small hook and eye like they use on a bra..
Thanks for these suggestions! Luckily it doesn’t need anything - the linen is solid enough that the crown remains in whatever position I put it. Very well made hat!

Edward

Bartender
Thanks Edward, I’m glad you agree that it might be a bit complicated.

Turns out I don’t need it! The Sterkowski Vigo 100% linen is here and I am happy to report that it is solid enough that it doesn’t need any refinement. The linen is also nice enough that I don’t itch at all wearing it.

The crown is so big, however, that I am considering sending him back. What do you think?

Here is my write-up on the Sterkowski thread. This is good quality!

[/URL][/URL]

View attachment 617488

I certainly would not return that one - it looks great! If you're used to a cap with a smaller footprint than these 20s / 30s styles, it can feel strange to begin with, but once I got used to my first one, I could never go back. I love the 'oomph' that the larger crowns have. I like eing ble to sling it to the side. I think once you get used to it, which will be quickly, you'll find it doesn't feel at all odd - just a process of familiarisation.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I certainly would not return that one - it looks great! If you're used to a cap with a smaller footprint than these 20s / 30s styles, it can feel strange to begin with, but once I got used to my first one, I could never go back. I love the 'oomph' that the larger crowns have. I like eing ble to sling it to the side. I think once you get used to it, which will be quickly, you'll find it doesn't feel at all odd - just a process of familiarisation.

Thanks again Edward, I am already feeling more comfortable in him and might even wear him out today!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou