Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuban Cigar

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
yes, lighter, less complex, and be careful of imposters. the most common cuban imposters are romeo y julietas and cohiba. i don't know why, my hypothesis is that these are fairly common brands (gas station labels) that casual smokers encounter and will recognize. bolivars are great and considering how cheap they are (comparatively) to other smokes (cuban and non-cuban) i can't see going wrong with a box of those. a lot of folks will talk about the heyday of cubans (many think that cuban domination ended in the early to mid-nineties) prior to acid rain really damaging the tobacco crops as well as the number of top rollers and blenders leaving the country. i would maybe ask on some cigar specific forums for info on what labels to trust and what is currently the "best". have a wonderful time.

Thanks Juan I'm positive I'll have a good time,I'm going in Feb. by then it should be about -20 here and over a foot of snow,I could stay here and enjoy that but I'm thinking.......not!! thanks for the tips on the cigars and I'll check out some other sites for more info.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cubans' quality have deteriorated over the past 5-6 years mainly due to the massive increase in production/supply and the major reshuffling in their sizes and lines. The good leaves which were used for normal Cubans are now taken up to make limited edicion, special edicion, regional edicion......... I have had both cubans and many non-cubans cigars and found in general, the Cubans are stronger although the new sizes available from 2005 onwards have grown milder to accomodate the general public. Incidentally, in HK, the price is opposite that a cuban is often cheaper than a good non-cuban like for example the Padron. Also how one store a cigar is a major factor to keeping the flavour alive.

Sillyrib

Familiar Face
I have a pretty large collection of cuban cigars although I havent collected any in a few years since my smoking habit has dropped off sharply.
Anyways, there is a distinct flavor component you find in cubans that you just dont find in any other countries terroir that I have come across. I would describe it as an umami component with a barn yard smell. I think there is a small amount of lithium in vuelta abajo regions soil as well. Every Brand of Cuban cigar has a vast difference in flavor profiles across its range so you cant really judge for example a RYJ Churchill vs A RYJ Cazadore. Same brand completely different flavor profile. The churchill is a elegant, smooth mild cigar while the Cazadores is a rustic, in your face fresh(packed in foil) flavor bomb. Also, every cuban box is stamped with date and factory code. Every year brings a different crop and the flavor changes slightly from year to year. Certain factory codes are also more sought out than others. Cubans are like fine wine. Some age much better than others. A 45 year old cuban Davidoff (using french wine names for the figurado like Chateau Margeux) may have once been considered the best in the world but like wine the flavor may have completely left. The tobacco strain also changes occasionally. When the tobacco mozaic virus wiped out the cuban crops other more hardier strains were developed and many think the flavor changed considerably from the famed black tobacco used before the 80's.
People that smoke cuban cigars everyday just cannot go back to smoking nicaraguans / dominicans. I have boxes of padrons and OpusX and JRs that sit at the bottom of my humidors(actually I think I gave them away in a troop givaway ,humidor space is prized). I have tried smoking non cubans many times and can never get over the sulfur taste I get from them or the bad aftertaste that lingers, like bad poorly cured cuban tobacco. I know when I dont like a cigar or bottle wine, more than half is left in the ashtray. I have some old boxes of jamaican cigars(macanudo) I think that came close but I think the industry shut down in the 80s due to storms and strikes.
Different people have different tastes. some people prefer bud to guiness. Some people only smoke connecticut shade grown tobacco cigars. To each his own I say and more power to em.
You cant judge a cuban cigar or any cigar by only smoking a few here and there. they could be fake, poorly stored, a bad crop, too dry, too wet. I've had plugged ones, moldy ones, bland ones ect. Get a few boxes(from a trusted retailer), get a good humidifier. properly store them. Don't smoke them fresh off the truck or fresh out of your friends luggage. There is nothing like a properly treated, aged Cuban cigar. It is one of the truly special pleasures the world has to offer.
A few of the ones I have almost never gone wrong with are the Cohiba Siglo IV. Partagas Series D No4, Montecristo No2. Bolivar petite Corona.
I don't know what the cubans are like today since I stopped buying a while ago before all the ltds and such really took off but avoid cubans since they will burn your money away faster than a coke addiction. The Swisher grape is a good cheap alternative.

Anyways, there is a distinct flavor component you find in cubans that you just dont find in any other countries terroir that I have come across..

I have found that other countries may have elements of the Cuban flavor / aroma but on in part. Even if you were to assemble a cigar from tobbacco from several of the cigar producing countries it still lacks a certain something. Occassionally some get close... but no (cuban) cigar.

Blackadder

I smoke cubans everyday with my fds at cigar lounge. My fds and I agree that the Padron (not the regular series) is one of very few cigars that can rival cubans but they cost more than cubans here so we stick with cubans.

kyboots

Practically Family
Cubans' quality have deteriorated over the past 5-6 years mainly due to the massive increase in production/supply and the major reshuffling in their sizes and lines. The good leaves which were used for normal Cubans are now taken up to make limited edicion, special edicion, regional edicion......... I have had both cubans and many non-cubans cigars and found in general, the Cubans are stronger although the new sizes available from 2005 onwards have grown milder to accomodate the general public. Incidentally, in HK, the price is opposite that a cuban is often cheaper than a good non-cuban like for example the Padron. Also how one store a cigar is a major factor to keeping the flavour alive.
I thought some of these were milder, but " just my imagination", this would explain since they are selling at such high premiums due to demand. More women are smoking these too. The prices do vary overseas, but I still see the Cubans overall highest. Maybe I go where more Americans go, so go the price etc.

Blackadder

I thought some of these were milder, but " just my imagination", this would explain since they are selling at such high premiums due to demand. More women are smoking these too. The prices do vary overseas, but I still see the Cubans overall highest. Maybe I go where more Americans go, so go the price etc.
The newer production are milder. For example, Series P #2 is milder than normal Partagas, Edmundo is generally milder than normal Monte. Maybe I had high expectations for those and ended up quite disappointed. I had expected the P2 to be a D4 in pirimides but it ain't. I had hoped that the Edmundos would be oversized Monte Robustos but most aren't.

So, a buddy of mine got a hold of a few Cuban cigars. I indulge in cigars once in a while, and was excitied to try a good Cuban. Long story short, I wasnt moved by it. In fact I've had a few Connecticut Valley smokes that were better, and a couple of Jamaicans that were every bit as good. Whats the deal? I'm guessing I'm just not a serious enough smoker to *get it*?
Best, Tom

Cuban cigar prioducers go thru a cycle of bust or boom. If the sales jump they rush the tobacco and try to produce too much. The quality suffers. Don't forget Davidoff destroyed their last shipment of Cubans because they were so bad. Also, the brand makes a difference, the country it is sent to makes a difference 9England vs France vs Spain.

Plus there ae fakes.

Sillyrib

Familiar Face
the Vegas Robaina vitola has been discontinued so get them while you can. I would recommend the Unico. The Trinidad series is also a good brand and is being discontinued.

blazerbud

One of the Regulars
I know its been stated before, a good cigar can come from anywhere if its made properly and has quality tobacco.
The best cuban that I had was smuggled out by a serviceman who was stationed at Gitmo.
It was a Romeo y Julieta, and maybe the mystique of where it came from was what made it special, but compared to the Honduras Romeo y Julieta, of the same style, it was markedly better.
However, the best cigars that I have ever had, came from the Orleans Tobacconist in New Orleans, LA. Yes, there was alot of mystique about them as well, they were being hand made in front of me. But, it was the only time that people swarmed me to comment on how good the smoke smelt from a cigar.

Hawkcigar

One of the Regulars
One of my favorites that I always recommend is the El Rey del Mundo Choix Supreme. Somewhat lighter in body but still has good flavor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails