Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cup of Joe?

filmnoirphotos

One of the Regulars
In the "OK, don't laugh" thread, the subject of coffee perked to the surface. I must confess to being addicted to a morning double shot Latte, but I do remember my folks drinking perked coffee as a kid, and an uncle that had a fascinating, all glass perkulator pot. I remember more than once standing in front of the stove watching the water rising in the upper glass bowl and slowy turning dark. He also had an espresso machine with which he would occasionally whip up a hot chocolate for us kids.

Would be most curious in hearing any recollections of unique or unusual coffee pots from days past......but,

Watch your back!
Jim

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
I worked summer camps as a kid. We kept a pot of coffee on the fire all the time. My fav. was a big white enamel pot that held about a gallon. Similar to the pic below.

americanesuperstore_1806_65143141

We never cleaned to old grounds out and just kept adding new.:eek: By the end of the summer, besides being half grounds, the coffee was quite stout.

Dave McCone

New in Town
You can still find the glass percolators on Ebay - try typing in "pyrex percolator" or "glass percolator".

I ended up with our family's beach cabin, which has been in the family since the early 50s -- we're still using "working antiques" there such as my grandmother's 1940s stove with well cooker, a wringer washer, glass percolators, depression glass, and other things from the 50s (and earlier). It's delightfully nostalgic, and since things still work fine I am loath to throw them out.

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
Originally posted by filmnoirphotos
Hmmmmm......that could explain some of the grouch thing.

LOL LOL Yeah, that must be it. :D

I like that pot. Reminds me of this one.
K1208_01_a.jpg

This, however, will be my next coffee maker.:cool: It's not vintage but sure is a nice looking piece. Plus, it makes good coffee.
3001-10USA_xl.gif

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Percolator magic

My father apparently picked up the coffee habit in the Navy, during WWII. He was stationed in Alaska, on Kodiak Island. Oh you know it's cold.

As a very small boy in 1962-63 I recall that Dad used to get up very early, about 5:00 AM, or so, and he's start the coffee.

There was a 2 pound can of Folgers, which had the most wonderful aroma. He's take his all metal percolator and fill the "bowl" with the ground coffee. Sliding the bowl onto the stem with the funnel support, it went into the coffe pot which was filled with cold water. On went the lid, which had a little glass knob on the top. Onto the stove it went, and he usually retreated into the bathroom for his morning shave (which we always watched). The aroma of fresh coffee filled the house.

That is such a simple memory, and simple times. I never tasted that coffee, but I bet it was cheaper than the Starbucks $1.65 paper cup routine we all face.

When I started my job, the only place to get a cup of coffee (1980's era) was at the 7-11 or the Dennys. No such thing as a starbucks.

Michaelson

One Too Many
It's still that way out here in 'small town America', Andy. The closest thing to a Starbucks to me is well over an hour in any direction I drive. So, what is the 'freshest' coffee brewed around me? Would you be in taste and consistancy, it's McDonalds?:confused: Other than that, I grind my own. Regards. Michaelson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael