Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Hide briefcases

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Asked them myself. All they have are the three standard colors (Black, Brown, and Whiskey).

And I went ahead with the order. :D I'll post updates as I go; any hiccups will be reported, but I think they've sorted through most of the issues by now. I am taking a chance with the Whiskey, though... [huh]

Colonel

One of the Regulars
Now that I have been using my Custom Hide briefcase for a week, it's time to pass along my thoughts and photos.

Front view. I specified that the center latch was to be omitted from mine.
IMG_7706.jpg

Detail showing the stitching - nice and uniform. No problem seen anywhere on any of the stitching.
IMG_7711.jpg

Side view. I specified a two section briefcase, and for me, this is the perfect size. I am very satisfied with the size.
IMG_7707.jpg

Top view of empty briefcase.
IMG_7708.jpg

Top view of filled briefcase. This is my "church load" - the front section contains my Bible and an umbrella.
IMG_7710.jpg

What I typically carry in it as my "church load" (it changes regularly depending on where I am going, of course).
Notepad, file folder, umbrella, Bible, zippered bag from Duluth Trading Company that has pens, glasses, mints, thumb drives, and other assorted "stuff". This bag is why I had CH omit the sewn in pen sleeves and pockets. It works very well for the purpose, is much more flexible than sewn in pockets, and it looks good, too.
IMG_7709.jpg

General Notes:

The leather has a very soft finish. It is the type of leather that will age, but will do so gracefully. If you're looking for something that will look brand-new for years to come, then this would not be a good choice. The first time you grab it by the handle, you will probably notice fingernail scratches on the leather beneath it. To me, that's just fine. My weekend bag is made from the same type of leather, and I am quite satisfied with it. I like that it shows that it has been used and isn't something I just picked up at the store to try to impress someone.

The size, as I mentioned, is perfect for me. The three section would definitely be too large for my needs, and the single would be too small much of the time. If I had to choose between only the three or the one, I would choose the one section - but being able to specify two sections gave me the perfect size.

What would I do differently?

1) I would probably NOT have the brass latch omitted. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but if I had it to do over, I would have it on there.

2) I would have the loops that the buckle straps go into (just below the buckles) moved down a bit and made larger. Buckling the straps is quick and easy, but trying to slide the ends of the straps through those loops is clumsy and takes much longer than it should. Just adding another 1/4" to the size would make a world of difference. Yes, it looks a bit neater with it nice and tight, but in use, a larger loop would be preferred.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Looks nice! Glad to see they have resolved the issue (for yours at least) of the stitching. We'll see how mine turns out. [huh]

And :eek:fftopic: but I have to ask: is that a period rolltop in the background? I have one that looks exactly like it, only mine is a reproduction.

Colonel

One of the Regulars
fluteplayer07 said:
Looks nice! Glad to see they have resolved the issue (for yours at least) of the stitching. We'll see how mine turns out. [huh]

And :eek:fftopic: but I have to ask: is that a period rolltop in the background? I have one that looks exactly like it, only mine is a reproduction.
No, it's a reproduction. We originally had it in the guest room, but we needed a mailing and shipping area for the office, so it got moved into that role (it was, however, replaced with a beautiful antique secretary that fit perfectly in the guest room). The phone behind the briefcase is the real thing - and it is hooked up and works perfectly. I've had to caution nieces and nephews that it's a real phone when they pick it up and try that strange-looking dial that they had only seen in old movies. I seldom use it for business calls since the audio volume can't match modern phones, and explaining that to clients isn't worth the effort.

We are fortunate to live near a place that buys up old estate furniture and resells the items from a huge warehouse or at their weekly auctions for antique dealers. We have bought a number of items there, and they will keep an eye out for something specific if we ask - they even offered to let us borrow stuff to decorate for our son's upcoming wedding (it pays to be a loyal customer at a local business)!

SimonSez

New in Town
Another CustomHide story

Folks - many thanks to those of you who have been chronicling your experiences with CustomHide over the last few months. I'm yet another guy who had an order in towards the beginning of the year (first week of March to be precise), and was heartened to know that I was not the only one waiting, and waiting, and wondering...

Recent BruceW and Colonel posts in particular kept me from cancelling my order, and now that my briefcase is here (after that weird UPS tracking web-page with no shipment logged in, and an email from CustomHide saying that they had sent me the wrong package, called it back and sent me the right one), in the main I'm glad I hung in there.

Soon as I figure out how to post pictures I will do so. There are a few issues with the bag - sloppy cutting and matching in some spots, pinched and poorly glued seams - but I'm keeping it. There are a couple of reasons for this, and I held my breath til it came wondering what I would do if it were not up to the standards I'd expected.

1. Theproblems with the bag are really minor issues in the grand scheme of things. If I'd paid $500 or $800 or $1,000+ for this briefcase... back it would have gone in a flash. But let's face it - under $300 shipped... I can live with a few imperfections.

2. These imperfections will be unnoticeable once I've had my way with this bag. I treat my briefcase how I treat my 25-yr-old Italian car, and although I do not think that this briefcase will make it through 5 continents the way its precursor did, it will look well-used in short order.

3. Hate to say it, but one wonders what the future of the good folks at CustomHide will be. They are going through a tough patch here, and one wishes them the best. This briefcase is really lovely at the end of the day - it looks great, smells like a million $$, and it's JUST what I wanted (since I designed it myself). Where you gonna get that - again for under $300? This model is way better than no model.

SimonSez

New in Town
CustomHide pics

Here are the photos.
http://picasaweb.google.com/103635705499457121761/CustomHide#5491471406590462210
I wanted a clean, classic design

http://picasaweb.google.com/103635705499457121761/CustomHide#5491471412716561346
the back accommodates a newspaper or last-minute sundries

http://picasaweb.google.com/103635705499457121761/CustomHide#5491471414694312226
you can see the puckers in here

http://picasaweb.google.com/103635705499457121761/CustomHide#5491471425485808610
is this cutting and stitching perfect? no. is it abominable? you tell me. I'm keeping it either way.

http://picasaweb.google.com/103635705499457121761/CustomHide#5491471427924271842
there's a bit of this going on in a few spots

http://picasaweb.google.com/103635705499457121761/CustomHide#5491472139543736130
they put in a strap with a spring-loaded hook on the end for my keys - should have lifted the end to make it easier to see but I'm in a bit of a rush to go on vacation - which also accounts for the generally lousy picture quality in here

http://picasaweb.google.com/103635705499457121761/CustomHide#5491472151527041186
no-one but me (and now all of you) will ever know about this bit - it's on the bottom rear seam - but again...

Once more, I wanted to share my experience and thank those who've gone before me. The generally solid construction and the fact that the overall design is precisely to my specs (I sent a very detailed set of drawings and instructions on size, proportion, etc) makes this a personal and useful device that I expect to use (and maybe abuse) for years to come... and that makes it a keeper.

Colonel

One of the Regulars
I agree - very nice looking design. If they are wise, they will make that one of their standard designs.

Question - how does it look when it is carrying a load? I found that with just two fastening points (the two buckle straps), mine still "bowed" a bit along the edge of the front flap. With all the weight being supported from a single point at the bottom and two points (the grip attachment points) at the top, I would wonder how straight things are when being carried. That bowing under tension is something that I failed to anticipate when I designed mine.

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
After reading this whole thread AND the entire messenger bag thread, I'd really like a 1945 style briefcase. However, I can't swallow the price. Is there a company making a similar bag for the more *ahem* financially embarrassed people such as myself?

MikeR

New in Town
How much for customizations?

I've been seriously considering a good new briefcase, first looking at Saddleback but ultimately deciding that it's just too expensive and I've gotten too used to having front pockets.

For those of you with CustomHide briefcases, how much more did you pay for the customizations? I'm still toying around with ideas (which is why I haven't e-mailed them for pricing just yet), but this is the configuration I'm considering at the moment:

http://www.customhide.com/convertible_scholar.html
Add two front pockets (maybe a third smaller one in the middle)...the two-compartment case with pockets is the only configuration they DON'T have as a convertible
Remove the cell phone/PDA pouch
Either remove the pen loops altogether, or if possible put a couple and the business card pouch in one of the front pockets
Remove the zipper from the document pouch, or maybe remove that pouch altogether
Maybe remove the pushlock closures

Another idea I saw while searching for reviews was to add a waterproof-lined pocket to the side for a water bottle, but I'm guessing that would be a pricey customization.

Another couple questions:

If anyone has one of these with front pockets, how much can you realistically fit in there? I currently have a canvas bag with front pockets that are 1.5" at the base, but it easily stretches to fit a 2.5"-thick prayerbook. It might be worth it for me to see if they can make those pockets a bit deeper.

None of the pictures on the site give a really good view of the zippered document pouch...what is its configuration? Just built into the back of the bag with a zipper at the top, or is it a separate, dangling kind of pouch?

Thank you, gentlemen.

brucewilcox

New in Town
The custom Scholar of which I posted photographs earlier was returned and, according to FedEx, was received at Custom Hide on June 18th. I included a letter asking that this bag be exchanged for a stock convertible Scholar Laptop with Pockets, and I also called and spoke with someone to confirm this choice.

On the Custom Hide site that Scholar variant in Brown (#1493) is shown as shipping in three weeks. It's been over five weeks now (with a holiday, granted) and I've heard nothing. I understand if the company is still trying to work its way out of difficulties from earlier this year, but at some point I think they should update their site with more realistic delivery times, and they should update me on the progress of this order. Perhaps I'm being stubborn, but I ordered the original custom Scholar in January and I think by this time they should put forward a bit more effort - I don't think I should have to prompt them every step of the way.

Given the somewhat sloppy construction of the custom Scholar, I'm also worried that if I push them that they'll rush something to me with the same poor workmanship.

I'm tempted to simply ask for a refund at this point. Am I being too stubborn?

brucewilcox

New in Town
update

Update: I emailed Custom Hide today and asked about the status of my replacement. I was informed that there had been a delay due to a shipment of defective leather from a supplier, but that my stock Convertible Scholar would be shipped on August 4. I was also offered a full refund.

I'm pleased with the quick response and the refund offer, and I'm going to ahead and wait for the new Scholar. I'll post photos when it arrives.

As soon as I can I'll also find an appropriate place to post photos of a 1970 leather valise I just picked up at a shop here in Portland.

SimonSez

New in Town
No bowing on this briefcase

Colonel - in response to your question (and with thanks to you and FlutePlayer for kind comments) - no, there's no bowing on my briefcase, even when heavily loaded. See for example the following pictures, with the bag very heavily laden - containing laptop and loads of papers. Have to say I'm quite happy about that.

http://picasaweb.google.com/103635705499457121761/CustomHide#5500625553933508514

http://picasaweb.google.com/103635705499457121761/CustomHide#5500625565745721714

You'll also see that the process of using the bag has begun - and it's taken to it well. In another week I'll break down and apply the first layer of leather preservative - which I've discovered through trial and much error on both boots and briefcases is one thing we can never do to excess.

Colonel

One of the Regulars
A VERY Satisfied customer

I received the following email from Custom Hide today:

It has come to our attention (looking through the Fedora Lounge link you have given us) that there are some issues with the custom briefcase we have made for you.

We will be more than glad to modify the case to resolve the problems you are experiencing (such as installing the lock that has been omitted that would eliminate the "bowing")

Your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

Please let us know.

If there were ever any question in anyone's mind about the caliber of people at Custom Hide, this should fully answer that! When was the last time you heard of a company checking out a forum, finding that a customer was disappointed with his own design request, and offering to modify the product to make it perfect! This just goes way beyond the kind of service and dedication to customers and product that now seems so typical.

Rolls-Royce had a nearly mystical reputation for "above and beyond" customer service. It looks like Custom Hide is taking a lesson from that leader in customer service. That kind of investment in customer satisfaction is what legends are built of.

I was quite satisfied with Custom Hide right from the start, but this is the kind of service that makes me want to tell everyone about my briefcase and where they can get one just like it for themselves.

Custom Hide clearly has a "customer for life" in me - and anyone else I have the opportunity to recommend them to. (and no, I don't work for Custom Hide, nor have any connection with them outside of being an extremely satisfied customer)

If you want a top quality product with "Rolls-Royce" caliber customer service, then become a Custom Hide customer!

Also, get your order in early - if they keep this up, the waiting list is going to grow longer and longer.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
That is a CLASS ACT on C.H.'s part!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I didn't know that level of customer service and post-sale attention even existed in today's world! Fantastic! Not a doubt in my mind about them now. Congrats to you for a new an improved case, and to C.H. for their excellent service.

Cheers!

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
I would not have expected them to modify YOUR design at no charge. You were up front that the problems you had were due to your changes.

I must admit, that service is far above and beyond what any reasonable customer would ever expect. You stated you were happy, but they must want you beyond happy to offer you that kind of after sale service.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred