Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Hide briefcases

MB5

One of the Regulars
You may want to stop by Tandy or Michaels and buy some leather cement. That should stop the plugs from working their way out again for some time.

poetman

A-List Customer
Custom Hide Briefcase Question

I know there's a thread about Custom Hide on this site, but I have a specific question I'm hoping fellow loungers can help me with.

I am thinking about ordering a Custom Hide briefcase, but am concerned about the consistency of their products. For those who have either ordered one or who have seen someone else's in person, how close is your bag to the picture on the Custom Hide website?

I'm thinking of ordering their 1945 briefcase shown here:
http://www.customhide.com/custom_1945_US_Army_briefcase.html

But this photo looks nothing like other 1945 briefcases other people have ordered:

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...ox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N&um=1

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...ox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=G&um=1

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...ox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=G&um=1

I contacted CH about this and they said bags differ depending on what custom options people select, but I'm still cautious to spend so much dough. So, who has a Custom Hide bag? How does it compare to the website photo? Also, how hard is the leather? Thanks All!

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I have a CH "Scholar" w/. pockets that was ordered standard with no custom features. With the exception of some slight color variation, which is to be expected when considering different monitor settings, it looks just as pictured on the website.

poetman

A-List Customer
Guttersnipe said:
I have a CH "Scholar" w/. pockets that was ordered standard with no custom features. With the exception of some slight color variation, which is to be expected when considering different monitor settings, it looks just as pictured on the website.

Thanks. The "scholar" looks like the leather is soft and a smooth grain. Compare it to the 1945 briefcase, the latter looks grainy, which I like, but am unsure if it is a computer generated picture or an actual model they made.

Doublegun

Practically Family
I have had my 1945 for approx 8-months and it looks pretty much identical to the tan one in the fist photo. I'll try to post some pictures next week (when I get back into my office).

BTW - no complaints about my bag. The more I use it, the better it looks (but I think that can be said of most tan leather items)

poetman

A-List Customer
Doublegun said:
I have had my 1945 for approx 8-months and it looks pretty much identical to the tan one in the fist photo. I'll try to post some pictures next week (when I get back into my office).

BTW - no complaints about my bag. The more I use it, the better it looks (but I think that can be said of most tan leather items)

Thanks for the response--I'd really appreciate if you posted the picture. I looking at a brown bag, and I'm wondering if the grain will look like it does in the web photo. The tan color seems to have a muted hue. In any case, I'd like to see what one looks like in person.

Thanks!

Colonel

One of the Regulars
I plan to order one later next week. The plan is to have it modified as follows:

Start with the 3 compartment 1945, then eliminate one of the compartments making it 2.5" thinner. Eliminate the pen/cellphone/PDA holders normally sewn to the back side of it. Emboss my initials. I will also be checking on different options for the locking latch. I am a bit hesitant about that lock - something to possibly break and a key to lose. That may be the best option, but I'm going to call and ask about it.

There is a pretty long lead time, so it will be quite a while before I could post any photos of mine.

Colonel

One of the Regulars
I just put in my order for a customized briefcase as described in my previous post. One thing different is that mine will not have any lock/latch on it. It will have only the two straps to close it. I just couldn't see having a lock on it that can break or losing the key. I'm not going to be locking it, and I wouldn't want to carry around another key even if I did. That just seems like the best way to go, plus it gives it a bit older, more classical look (in my opinion, anyway).

I have not heard back on an estimated delivery date.

poetman

A-List Customer
Colonel said:
I just put in my order for a customized briefcase as described in my previous post. One thing different is that mine will not have any lock/latch on it. It will have only the two straps to close it. I just couldn't see having a lock on it that can break or losing the key. I'm not going to be locking it, and I wouldn't want to carry around another key even if I did. That just seems like the best way to go, plus it gives it a bit older, more classical look (in my opinion, anyway).

I have not heard back on an estimated delivery date.

Thanks for the update. I'm thinking of doing something with the lock option--can you use a different lock--or at least does the lock have to be locked?

Colonel

One of the Regulars
poetman said:
Thanks for the update. I'm thinking of doing something with the lock option--can you use a different lock--or at least does the lock have to be locked?
I'm afraid that I have no idea on that. I have heard others mention that they ordered a different kind of latch, and perhaps it is just something you press and don't use a key. I suspect that even the one with the key does not have to be locked. Typically, those types of latches are where you slide the button down to unlatch it. Using the key to lock it just means that you can't slide that button down. I'm just guessing here though based on other similar ones I've seen.

The D.A.

Familiar Face
The Colonel is correct. There's a button that slides down to open the mechanism, and it doesn't have to be locked in order to be closed. I never actually lock mine, and in fact I'm not even sure where my keys are.

I actually like having the lock on my briefcase. There are times when I need to move my briefcase a short distance (like to a nearby office), or when I want to have quick access to the contents. At those times I'll just fasten the lock and not worry about buckling the straps. The lock is a sturdy, made in the USA affair, and I've never been concerned about it not holding the bag together when moving it without the straps being buckled.

I've had my 1945 briefcase for a few years now, and I'm very pleased with it. For the money, I don't think it can be beat.

Colonel

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the report. I had thought about using the lock as sort of a quick closing method, and I'm glad to hear that it works well for you. Mine is already ordered and I'm sure I could change it if I wanted to (we're looking at a lead time of probably 8 - 9 weeks at least), but I'll probably just leave it as it is without the lock.

Mine will be 5" wide with two sections. Their "standard" ones are 1 section and 3 sections. I guess I've just got to be different. I like the single, but I really want one that will easily stand up on its own and I was concerned that the single section one might be tipping over if things weren't balanced just right inside. The three section one was really bigger than I want, so I settled on getting a two section one made. The dimensions are very close to the one I am currently using (made of nylon), so I know the size works for what I use it for.

Again, thanks for the report.

The D.A.

Familiar Face
If I was to do it all over again, I think I'd probably get a custom one with two compartments as well. One compartment is not enough, and I've found that three is more than I need. It sounds like the one you've ordered has been well thought-out, and I hope you enjoy it.

poetman

A-List Customer
The D.A. said:
The Colonel is correct. There's a button that slides down to open the mechanism, and it doesn't have to be locked in order to be closed. I never actually lock mine, and in fact I'm not even sure where my keys are.

I actually like having the lock on my briefcase. There are times when I need to move my briefcase a short distance (like to a nearby office), or when I want to have quick access to the contents. At those times I'll just fasten the lock and not worry about buckling the straps. The lock is a sturdy, made in the USA affair, and I've never been concerned about it not holding the bag together when moving it without the straps being buckled.

I've had my 1945 briefcase for a few years now, and I'm very pleased with it. For the money, I don't think it can be beat.

Would you mind posting a picture of your briefcase? I'd like to see one after some use. I'd appreciate it.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I'm digging up this thread to second that motion. I'll be placing an order for a custom briefcase from them soon, and I want to see one after some use. Mine will be a custom variation of the 3 pocket 1945 Army briefcase, with two more pockets on the inside for a calculator and some flash drives. And some more business card slots for an ID card and license. But I'm still torn on the color. Think I should go for the dark brown, or the whisky? I don't want a black briefcase for the third time in a row. And does anyone know if they offer any more colors (cordovan, perhaps)?

Cheers,

Colonel

One of the Regulars
Mine is scheduled to be shipped on the 24th, and I plan to post photos here when it arrives. I ordered mine in brown. I took the opposite approach for mine - I had then leave off all of the inside pockets. Instead, I will be getting a briefcase pocket insert from Levenger's to hold that miscellaneous "stuff". I find sewn-in leather pockets too restricting as to what they will hold, and they interfere with larger objects such as notebooks and laptops. I just prefer not being tied down to an arrangement permanently sewn into the leather. Mine will be a two section (standards are one section or three section). It will not have the metal latch, but be secured by the buckle straps only.

Colonel

One of the Regulars
Here is a link to the laptop organizer.

AM1675_E_1409.jpg

Here is a link to their panel organizer. I'm not sure which one I'll end up getting. Both are very reasonably priced.
AM1685_E_1409.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy